Has Sotnikova finally learned how to control her nerves? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Has Sotnikova finally learned how to control her nerves?

Moment

Final Flight
It looks like she has very unstable jumping technique. I think that's what is holding her back. It's more than mental problems, in my humble opinion.

ForeverFish

Medalist
It looks like she has very unstable jumping technique. I think that's what is holding her back. It's more than mental problems, in my humble opinion.

Oh, certainly. She pitches herself so far forward on the landing of her combo 3Lz and 2A that her toe loop will almost assuredly be underrotated, if she lands it at all. And that's not even counting the 3F that has eluded her all season. I think she even missed it at Euros, where she almost beat Kostner.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She singled her first flip in the Euros free skate but did two others. It is so unstable it's like one of those things where the skater landing it is unpredictable. She can't get a firm grasp on how do it right. It's a total gamble. She makes mistakes in all parts of the jump. Her entry is so unstable that it can lead to popping it of falling on it or sometimes landing it. She's guaranteed to mess up on it if she does 3. You know she will mess up on it. It's why her most successful competition ever she only did 2.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I think her she can control her nerves better. Like some of you already said, she has some technical issues with her jumps so even if her mind is in the right place, bad technique can result in making mistakes. I don't think Osmond is handling her nerves any better. Her only great skate was 2012 Worlds SP. She made mistakes in every LP I saw from her, including the one she won Skate Canada with. She can perform better but she she crumbled to pressure many times: 4Continents, Worlds LP, she made mistakes in both programs at WTT, I think she had a fall in her Nationals LP as well. My point: they are very young. Some of the 16 year old skaters are enjoying the competition, the pressure, and make the best out of it. It's clearly not the case with Adelina. But it's not with Liza, Osmond, Zijun and Gracie either. They are in the process of learning to deal with the pressure. Gracie is coming ahead so far and Zijun is improving leaps and bounds. The other 3 are still struggling. Sometimes they can show what they are really capable of, like Kaetlyn did at Worlds SP, Adelina at WTT sp, Liza at 2012 European LP. I think all this negativity comes from the huge hype around this girls. It's clear they are not the new Yuna/Mao and they need more time. I think in a couple of years they will all develop in excellent skaters.
I seriously don't understand why are Adelina's so called nerves are getting so scrutinized. She is not currently skating any worse than the other 16 year old talented skaters.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The way you talk you seem to think Yu Na`s ceiling in the SP is 70 points since while Adelina can go higher than that, LOL!

No, but I don't think Yuna can get 75 either with an edge call, as you do. Adelina can match Yuna on TES because she gets higher levels and more GOE on the spins. And I think she can close the 3 point gap in PCS by one point next year if she improves. So I do believe Adelina can get within 2-3 points of Yuna IF CLEAN.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think her she can control her nerves better. Like some of you already said, she has some technical issues with her jumps so even if her mind is in the right place, bad technique can result in making mistakes. I don't think Osmond is handling her nerves any better. Her only great skate was 2012 Worlds SP. She made mistakes in every LP I saw from her, including the one she won Skate Canada with. She can perform better but she she crumbled to pressure many times: 4Continents, Worlds LP, she made mistakes in both programs at WTT, I think she had a fall in her Nationals LP as well. My point: they are very young. Some of the 16 year old skaters are enjoying the competition, the pressure, and make the best out of it. It's clearly not the case with Adelina. But it's not with Liza, Osmond, Zijun and Gracie either. They are in the process of learning to deal with the pressure. Gracie is coming ahead so far and Zijun is improving leaps and bounds. The other 3 are still struggling. Sometimes they can show what they are really capable of, like Kaetlyn did at Worlds SP, Adelina at WTT sp, Liza at 2012 European LP. I think all this negativity comes from the huge hype around this girls. It's clear they are not the new Yuna/Mao and they need more time. I think in a couple of years they will all develop in excellent skaters.
I seriously don't understand why are Adelina's so called nerves are getting so scrutinized. She is not currently skating any worse than the other 16 year old talented skaters.

ITA. Certain posters have expressed annoyance with her inability to skate cleanly but the fact is none of these newbies have had a stellar season. They have all been up and down so it's not fair to single out one. They are all going through the transition from junior to senior skating and that includes growth spurts, weight gain, learning to handle pressure and learning to compete. I don't think it's fair to label any skater as finished or incapable of skating cleanly, especially this early into their careers. All of them are only on their first or second year senior and it's pretty obvious from this year's worlds that all of the newbies are underdogs when it comes to getting on the podium in Sochi.

The good news is after next season the majority of the big names will be gone and then we'll get to see how the competition will stack up for the next quadrennial. But I don't think picking on Adelina or Kaetlyn or any of these girls is fair because everyone has struggled: Gracie, Liza T, Zijun, Julia...all of them are still learning to compete at this level.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think Adelina is improving. For instance, at WTT she had mistakes in the FS - but she never let the performance go. Isn't that really the most one should ask for? If some people had unrealistic expectations, and are gru- disappointed that she hasn't yet snagged a World gold - I really don't see that as Adelina's fault!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
No, but I don't think Yuna can get 75 either with an edge call, as you do. Adelina can match Yuna on TES because she gets higher levels and more GOE on the spins. And I think she can close the 3 point gap in PCS by one point next year if she improves. So I do believe Adelina can get within 2-3 points of Yuna IF CLEAN.

I will bet you money that Yu Na gets atleast one SP score over 75 next season. That is how sure I am of it. I certainly wouldnt bet money on Adelina cracking 70 for the SP though even if she does alot of clean shorts, she could but it would be a stretch. Adelina is not a match for Yu Na technically. Yu Na being weak in spins is a myth from some posters on this forum only, the judges dont believe this, and Yu Na's jumps are much better than Adelina's, and her footwork is stronger too. I also think it will be easier for Yu Na to improve her Worlds SP PCS (and TES) for all the various reasons I stated, than it will be for Adelina to improve hers. Especialy when it is plainly obvious the WTT scores were extremely high (as they are most other years as well), and much higher than scores for almost all the same skaters would be at other events.

Anyway Yu Na is irrelevant to Adelina, so lets forget about her now. Personally I think at this point Adelina has become an overrated at his point. Gold and to a lesser degree Osmond and Li are passing her by this season. The only reason I think she is a lock for an Olympic spot for Russia is Tarasova is the Russian fed. loves her so much. She really shouldnt be a lock. Some of her supporters say she is the best balance between great jumps and great presentation of the young skaters, if she solves her consistency issues. I really dont see that though. Her jumps are pretty big when she does them, but her technique on many of them is fugly looking and poor, and she has UR issues even when she skates cleanish. Her presentation could be good but many times her programs and choreography are just awful, like her LP this year. If I had to pick the young skater with the best balance between strong jumping and presentation aside from consistency issues it would be Osmond or Li hands down. Li seems to have the consistency too, and once she gets more rep she will really be scoring big. Gold though can still score the highest of all as her technical abilities are incredible, and the judges love her and give her inflated PCS for where her presentation is at now, and she shows capacity for artistic growth.

If one has to pick the skaters with the best chances to medal in Sochi beside the likely gold (Kim) and silver (Kostner) medalists I would also put Asada, Suzuki, Gold, Wagner, Li all above Sotnikova right now. I would put Korpi, Osmond, and 1 or 2 other Russians roughly the same.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
ITA. Certain posters have expressed annoyance with her inability to skate cleanly but the fact is none of these newbies have had a stellar season. They have all been up and down so it's not fair to single out one.

Isnt that part of the point though. Gold is just as inconsistent as Sotnikova right now, and is tending to make just as many mistakes most times, and yet she keeps beating her. Doesnt that show she is simply better. The PCS Sotnikova supporters have said she should get over Gold, whether or not this is true, the judges show she simply doesnt get, and technically Gold is clearly superior with much stronger jumps and slightly stronger spins, even if they have the same number of misses.

Osmond had an awful LP at Worlds and still finished over Sotnikova who had two decent but not stellar efforts.

Li is showing she has the whole package other than missing a bit of speed, and she is proving herself to be really consistent. Had she been from a stronger federation she would have already left some of these others in the dust.

Tuktamysheva even shows if she skates well she can outscore even a good Sotnikova. The SP at Russian Nationals and LP at Europeans proved this clearly. Granted she seems to be really falling apart at the moment.

Krislite

Medalist

Adelina can get a higher level only on the layback because she can do a Biellmann, which amounts to a 0.3 advantage in BV. (Yuna's level3 spin on the flying camel was a fluke because of her wonky entrance.) Now how in the world can that 0.3 BV make up for the TES deficit against Yuna when she almost always does a 3Flutz+3Toe<? As for the PCS gap, it's actually going to widen now that Yuna is reigning World Champion. Yes, she came in as reigning OGM, but the Olympics was THREE years ago, Yuna skated early and the judges had no idea what to expect.

In any case, I'm not sure what the point of comparing her to Yuna is. If she can get somehow close to Yuna's score in the SP, it still won't matter once the LP is done. Adelina is even weaker in the free skate, and she would have no hope of catching up to a clean Yuna, no matter how close they are in the SP.

Krislite

Medalist
Adelina's problems stem not just from nerves but from technique. She almost always under-rotates her backend 3Toe. Her 3Flip is unstable. She also Flutzes. You can't skate clean under immense pressure when you can't trust your technique. It's a losing battle. Your results will depend largely on luck and not effort when you've got that kind of problem.

Her confidence will return only once she manages to improve her jump technique and her consistency with them. That's when she'll have her nerves under control. Coolness under pressure doesn't come by sheer will alone. It arises largely from good results in training/practice and previous competitions.

venlac

On the Ice
I will bet you money that Yu Na gets atleast one SP score over 75 next season. That is how sure I am of it. I certainly wouldnt bet money on Adelina cracking 70 for the SP though even if she does alot of clean shorts, she could but it would be a stretch. Adelina is not a match for Yu Na technically. Yu Na being weak in spins is a myth from some posters on this forum only, the judges dont believe this, and Yu Na's jumps are much better than Adelina's, and her footwork is stronger too. I also think it will be easier for Yu Na to improve her Worlds SP PCS (and TES) for all the various reasons I stated, than it will be for Adelina to improve hers. Especialy when it is plainly obvious the WTT scores were extremely high (as they are most other years as well), and much higher than scores for almost all the same skaters would be at other events.

Anyway Yu Na is irrelevant to Adelina, so lets forget about her now. Personally I think at this point Adelina has become an overrated at his point. Gold and to a lesser degree Osmond and Li are passing her by this season. The only reason I think she is a lock for an Olympic spot for Russia is Tarasova is the Russian fed. loves her so much. She really shouldnt be a lock. Some of her supporters say she is the best balance between great jumps and great presentation of the young skaters, if she solves her consistency issues. I really dont see that though. Her jumps are pretty big when she does them, but her technique on many of them is fugly looking and poor, and she has UR issues even when she skates cleanish. Her presentation could be good but many times her programs and choreography are just awful, like her LP this year. If I had to pick the young skater with the best balance between strong jumping and presentation aside from consistency issues it would be Osmond or Li hands down. Li seems to have the consistency too, and once she gets more rep she will really be scoring big. Gold though can still score the highest of all as her technical abilities are incredible, and the judges love her and give her inflated PCS for where her presentation is at now, and she shows capacity for artistic growth.

If one has to pick the skaters with the best chances to medal in Sochi beside the likely gold (Kim) and silver (Kostner) medalists I would also put Asada, Suzuki, Gold, Wagner, Li all above Sotnikova right now. I would put Korpi, Osmond, and 1 or 2 other Russians roughly the same.

I also think that she is overscored in spin.
but not only her, top skaters often overscore in spin or step.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Adelina's problems stem not just from nerves but from technique. She almost always under-rotates her backend 3Toe. Her 3Flip is unstable. She also Flutzes. You can't skate clean under immense pressure when you can't trust your technique. It's a losing battle. Your results will depend largely on luck and not effort when you've got that kind of problem.

Her confidence will return only once she manages to improve her jump technique and her consistency with them. That's when she'll have her nerves under control. Coolness under pressure doesn't come by sheer will alone. It arises largely from good results in training/practice and previous competitions.

While I would not call her caroline zhang or Mao asada she clearly has problems with her jumps on a technical level. She needs to change everything about her lutz, flip, and triple toe or double axel. After she places 10th or lower in Sochi she will, if she continues, will need to be like zhang and Mao and radically alter her jump techniques. She will try to go to Sochi and be flutzing and be inconsistent on the flip jumps and underrotating the toe and be hoping for the best. But everything needs to be radically and totally redone from the ground level, there is just nit enough time before Sochi. Like there wasnt enough time for Mao and Caroline zhang. She can't be Mao because she has 3a. She has nothing greater than what everyone has on jumps. And she wont fall Ot of contention like zhang because she's no as bad. But still radical and complete Technique overhaul is required on flip, lutz, toe or 2a.

ForeverFish

Medalist
While I would not call her caroline zhang or Mao asada she clearly has problems with her jumps on a technical level. She needs to change everything about her lutz, flip, and triple toe or double axel. After she places 10th or lower in Sochi she will, if she continues, will need to be like zhang and Mao and radically alter her jump techniques. She will try to go to Sochi and be flutzing and be inconsistent on the flip jumps and underrotating the toe and be hoping for the best. But everything needs to be radically and totally redone from the ground level, there is just nit enough time before Sochi. Like there wasnt enough time for Mao and Caroline zhang. She can't be Mao because she has 3a. She has nothing greater than what everyone has on jumps. And she wont fall Ot of contention like zhang because she's no as bad. But still radical and complete Technique overhaul is required on flip, lutz, toe or 2a.

Is this guaranteed?

1-3. Yuna, Mao, Carolina (though not necessarily in that order)
4-7. Ashley (could be a dark horse for the bronze), Gracie, Kanako (if she doesn't get UR'd to hell and back), Akiko
8-11. Adelina, Elizaveta, Zijun, Kaetlyn (in that order)

I agree that Adelina's jumping technique effectively prohibits her from landing a clean 3-3 or 2A-3T, but she should still crack the top ten at the Olympics. Otherwise, all of the ladies below her would have to have the SOTLs.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think Adelina's jump technique is all that bad. She jumps big and can hit her 3T-3T with full rotation. There are only a handful of women who are more consistent than Adelina on the jumps (Yuna and Gracie come to mind, but who else?) To me, her problem is like Mao's: confidence. Particularly on the flip, she seems to have a mental block sometimes.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I don't think Adelina's jump technique is all that bad. She jumps big and can hit her 3T-3T with full rotation. There are only a handful of women who are more consistent than Adelina on the jumps (Yuna and Gracie come to mind, but who else?) To me, her problem is like Mao's: confidence. Particularly on the flip, she seems to have a mental block sometimes.

But Adelina hasn't been all too consistent with the jumps this season. She's missed the 3F 80% of the times she's attempted it, and has a bad habit of UR'ing the money combos. Her mental block is probably exacerbated by the fact that she has poor technique on the 3Lz, 3F, and 2A.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is this guaranteed?

1-3. Yuna, Mao, Carolina (though not necessarily in that order)
4-7. Ashley (could be a dark horse for the bronze), Gracie, Kanako (if she doesn't get UR'd to hell and back), Akiko
8-11. Adelina, Elizaveta, Zijun, Kaetlyn (in that order)

I agree that Adelina's jumping technique effectively prohibits her from landing a clean 3-3 or 2A-3T, but she should still crack the top ten at the Olympics. Otherwise, all of the ladies below her would have to have the SOTLs.

You are forgetting US lady #3, who could knock down Sotnikova and Tuk (or whichever 2 Russians go), particularly if Gao makes the team. Then there is also Korpi, and even Marchei if she's on could beat a meh Sotnikova or Tuk realistically. So top 10 is not a lock necessary, though I would tend to think it is likely that she would make it. But she's not very consistent so at this point I'm not sure if she is even going to make the team because I really think Julia is going to take one of the two spots. Question is who she will knock out.