Hersch on Johnny | Golden Skate

Hersch on Johnny

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...01/face-it-johnny-you-werent-good-enough.html

My take?

Correction, it was a charity show in South Korea that Johnny had done. It was a promise to Yu-Na. He did not get paid for it. He had one disastrous competition in the span of this and last year's season. That's a pretty good track record.

Are we to assume Johnny wouldn't have gotten flak for petitioning and not skating? To be fair, Michael could pass the ball to anyone on his team, Johnny can't past his skates to Petrenko to skate for him.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I'm positive Michael was on some sort of performance enhancing drugs, just like any other pro-athletes (i.e. Lance Armstrong).

psycho

On the Ice
Hersh is an ***. A few days ago he was all about reporting skater's financial troubles because of the declining popularity of figure skating (his favourite topic) and now he makes fun of Johnny for doing a show in Korea. He is just like a vulture, jumping at the chance to pick apart a decaying carcass.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Hersh is an ***. A few days ago he was all about reporting skater's financial troubles because of the declining popularity of figure skating (his favourite topic) and now he makes fun of Johnny for doing a show in Korea. He is just like a vulture, jumping at the chance to pick apart a decaying carcass.

I love this simile. Bonus.

You can pretty much *expect* Hersch to do this. I totally regret lifting my no-Hersch-blog ban until post Grand Prix season. To Brandon, Evan, and Jeremy, don't screw up at Worlds because Hersch is watching.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Correction, it was a charity show in South Korea that Johnny had done. It was a promise to Yu-Na. He did not get paid for it.

And? Johnny still has a responsiblity to be prepared and ready for Nationals. If Yu-na Kim was a true friend, she'd totally understand why Johnny couldn't do that.

Johnny choose to be in the show, which means that he should accept the consquences of that decision...

Last edited:
Yuna is a true friend. The Korean fans are true fans. Johnny didn't want to let them down.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yuna is a true Johnny fan. The Korean audience are true Johnny fans. Johnny didn't want to let them down.

So, if they were true Johnny fans wouldn't they want Johnny to be healthy and prepared for Nationals. Did Yu-na Kim let Korea down when she withdrew from Four Continents last year in Korea, because she was injured???

Wouldn't they say well I know your Nationals is your qualifying competition, and so get healthy and get better. That's how true friends and true fans are.

And quite frankly Johnny was sick at GPF too, and medaled there, he was sick at NHK. How many people have injuries and things like that. Jeremy was apparently feeling sick too...

Johnny made choices, and he needs to accept responsiblity for the choices he made. Brandon Mroz shouldn't be punished for Johnny's choices.

psycho

On the Ice
Johnny did one show, and got sick. He wasn't the only one who did shows: Lysacek did at least one for Dissons. Brian Joubert did a christmas show too. Oda did some as well. Everyone does shows from time to time. It's just out of all of them Johnny was the one who got sick. And instead of showing some respect for someone who has been representing this country on the top level since 2004, he gets trashed by a dumbass like Hersh.

Johnny didn't even get to spend Christmas with his family, while I am sure Hersh enjoyed comfortable holidays. And instead of finding understanding and compassion in his heart, he writes another steaming pile.

PS: And Johnny needs to do shows overseas because he doesn't get invited to do them in the US. In order to support himself now and in his future, he needs to build a fanbase and create demand so he gets invited to shows.

Last edited:
Who said anything about Brandon Mroz? The question was whether Yuna Kim and Johnny Weir are true friends.

Yes, they are. :yes:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Johnny did one show, and got sick. He wasn't the only one who did shows: Lysacek did at least one for Dissons. Brian Joubert did a christmas show too. Oda did some as well. Everyone does shows from time to time. It's just out of all of them Johnny was the one who got sick. And instead of showing some respect for someone who has been representing this country on the top level since 2004, he gets trashed by a dumbass like Hersh.

But Joubert, Oda, and Evan didn't travel half way around the world to do their shows.

Plus, Johnny did two shows he traveled back home from Korea to do a show at his home rink, and then back to Korea to do a show again.

Plus Johnny had been feeling really sick for awhile before the Korean show. Given all that he should have realized something had to give.

And Mathman I know that Johnny and Yu-na are true friends. I was saying because of that Yu-na would have understood if Johnny couldn't do her show. IF Yu-na couldn't understand Johnny's need to be prepared for Nationals, than she wasn't a very good friend.

But Johnny, good friend that he was, insisted on doing Yuna's show anyway. That's what friends are for. :)

Anyway, what does Hersh get out of kicking the boy when he's down? Does he think this is what his reader's want? Why doesn't he write about Brandon's wonderful skate?

Johnny tried his best. Hersh is the one who embarrassed himself.

Mr. Hersh, does this represent your best work? Will you be submitting this piece for a Pulitzer Prize?

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
That is one of the more disgusting pieces I've read from Hersch. Seriously, what does he have to gain from this except making himself look like an a**hole? Instead of focusing on Jeremy Abbott winning and being a true contender for the World podium (heck, the World title!) and how Brandon Mroz took everyone by surprise with his great skate, he degrades Johnny. Great use of his time.

Personally I think Johnny should have withdrawn, but apparently he felt he could fight through it sufficiently. I hope he rests up and is healthy again real soon.

bekalc

Record Breaker
That is one of the more disgusting pieces I've read from Hersch. Seriously, what does he have to gain from this except making himself look like an a**hole? Instead of focusing on Jeremy Abbott winning and being a true contender for the World podium (heck, the World title!) and how Brandon Mroz took everyone by surprise with his great skate, he degrades Johnny. Great use of his time.

Personally I think Johnny should have withdrawn, but apparently he felt he could fight through it sufficiently. I hope he rests up and is healthy again real soon.

But didn't Johnny kind of deserve this reaction for saying 1. He hates when people get byes but 2. Get him a bye anyways. Plus, isn't there always a lot of excuses from Johnny in terms of why he wasn't ready.

I'm liking Johnny a lot better in a lot of ways, and I think he has a lot of heart. But I think he needs to put himself in Mroz's place and ask how he would feel if someone didn't come fully prepared for Nationals, skated poorly, and then asked to be placed on the team, based on previous performances.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
And? Johnny still has a responsiblity to be prepared and ready for Nationals. If Yu-na Kim was a true friend, she'd totally understand why Johnny couldn't do that.

Johnny choose to be in the show, which means that he should accept the consquences of that decision...
The point is, in the article Hersh made it seem like Johnny did it for the money. The truth is there was no money involved, not for Johnny and not for Yu-Na. It was a charity show.

Hersh can gripe all he wants and beat Johnny to a pulp even when the guy is already down, but it's incredibly insulting to Johnny to say he was doing shows to make money instead of spending his time training.

It's one thing to say Johnny shouldn't have done the show even though it was a favor for his friend, as you're trying to say Bek. However, it's a complete lie to say Johnny chose to make money off a show instead of training more. Because like I said before, there was no money involved for Johnny.

In a recent interview (or was it his journal?) Johnny is quite frank about his financial straits. There are not a lot of ways for skaters, esp. male skaters, to pay their bills. (Few endorsement deals for the guys.) Johnny's family also depends on him. It's rough. Hersh should explain the economics of skating instead of distorting the facts to make Johnny look greedy.

And as for "how would Mroz feel if someone unprepared beat him" - it's not "someone," it's Johnny Weir as in GPF bronze medalist etc. and it's not "unprepared" as in lazy it's undertrained as in sick. Big difference.

bekalc

Record Breaker
[/I]
In a recent interview (or was it his journal?) Johnny is quite frank about his financial straits. There are not a lot of ways for skaters, esp. male skaters, to pay their bills. (Few endorsement deals for the guys.) Johnny's family also depends on him. It's rough. Hersh should explain the economics of skating instead of distorting the facts to make Johnny look greedy.

And as for "how would Mroz feel if someone unprepared beat him" - it's not "someone," it's Johnny Weir as in GPF bronze medalist etc. and it's not "unprepared" as in lazy it's undertrained as in sick. Big difference.

Johnny Weir was unprepared. He was sick at NHK, he was sick at the Grand Prix final. Any fool could tell you that perhaps traveling again to Korea would likely not be a good idea

Yes, he has to support his family. But Johnny is hardly the only skater who has to support himself and his family, right now. Also, Johnny is hardly the only skater who has other commitments.

For example Brandon Mroz, is in high school. He has to work his training time around his schooling Do you think he could use well, I had to study really hard for finals so I let my training time lapse? Give me a break?

NO.

It's always been the position of the USFSA that if you want a bye, you better not be skating and touring while your "injured/sick" if you healthy enough to skate in shows your healthy enough to compete in Nationals. Period.

And as for being sick. Jeremy Abbott was sick, Keana was sick.

And yes traveling accross the world three weeks before Nationals isn't a good idea, even before Johnny got sick. Lookl. It's Johnny's life and Johnny's choices, but he needs to accept responsibility for these choices.

Last edited:
I always marvel at the anonymous posters who are so supremely confident in their condemnations.

May you never receive scathing judgments of the kind you hand out.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I always marvel at the anonymous posters who are so supremely confident in their condemnations.

May you never receive scathing judgments of the kind you hand out.

But Spun here's the question? Would Johnny have chosen to skate a show in Korea if it was three weeks before Worlds? A Year ago, Johnny turned down Four Continents, because he felt it was to close to Worlds, and well that competition DID come with prize money.

Look, maybe this show was absolutely necessary for him and his family I can't judge that. But either way that just doesn't give him a free pass, to not be prepared for Nationals. What I mean by that, is with that choice, he has to accept the fact that he'll be less prepared for Nationals, and accept the consquences of the results.

I think it's also likely that Johnny felt he was a lock for the team, and so didn't think it would be a big deal if he didn't prepare as hard for Nationals.

And think about it this way, not being at Worlds gives Johnny an opportunity to really take some time to think about his travel schedule, rethink his diet, programs, and well also skate in some shows to help support his family. If your getting as sick as Johnny is getting that means that something is out of balance.

But I'm sorry, Johnny had a responsiblity to be prepared for Nationals. And anyone can tell you skating in a show three weeks before Nationals half way around the world, isn't a good idea. They can tell you it's an even worse idea if you've been sick for awhile. Weir made his choices, now he has to accept them.

Last edited: