Hersh: "Skating benefits from writer's strike" | Golden Skate

Hersh: "Skating benefits from writer's strike"

Geesesk8

On the Ice
Here is a Phil Hersh article from the Chicago Tribune. It is titled: "Skating benefits from writer's strike," but it reads like good news / bad news. Unfortunately, more bad than good, but we are already aware of the bad.

Note the change in the TV schedule for U.S. Nationals.

Last paragraph of the article reads: "The next three years are critical to skating, which needs a big boost from the buildup to another North American Winter Olympics—2010 in Vancouver—to avoid a fate like the poor player in MacBeth, who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more."

Here is the complete 1/10/08 article:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...ating,1,2283876.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

There is a reprint of that article in the US National folder, too. It's mostly gloom and doom for Figure Skating. Dwindling ratings do not get sponsorships. That is a big problem for fans of figure skating who watch on TV. There is no sponsor for Worlds in LA ..... yet...will there be?

Joe

sillylionlove

Medalist
I found it interesting that State Farm pulled out as a sponser. They have been around forever. I think this shows how dire the situation is for figure skating.

Geesesk8

On the Ice
There is a reprint of that article in the US National folder, too. It's mostly gloom and doom for Figure Skating. Dwindling ratings do not get sponsorships. That is a big problem for fans of figure skating who watch on TV. There is no sponsor for Worlds in LA ..... yet...will there be?

Joe

Sorry, "Joesitz." While I did check to see if the article had already been posted, I did not check in the U.S. National forum. Although the article gives the update to the TV Schedule for U.S. Nats, I guess I read it more as being about the gloom that continues to descend on figure skating; therefore, posted here.

Here's the link to the discussion in the U.S. Nat's Forum:
http://goldenskate.hdlproducts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360
Or perhaps admin will delete this thread or merge with the other......

merrybari

Final Flight
Does it bother anyone but me that Hersh has stated that it's not his "job" to promote figure skating but to "report" on it's 'condition?' Maybe he needs to expand on his job a bit.

Seems to me that he, in particular and the media in general, could do a great deal to help stem the tide if they would present a less gloomy picture by talking about what's good to balance what is said about the decline.

That last sentence really is rather snide and totally unhelpful, IMHO! If he's trying reverse psychology, it ain't working. :banging:

Let's keep this thread here, too. Not everyone is reading the Nationals folder, and this article has points of interest beyound the TV schedule changes.

Thanks also to Merrybari for the post.

Gloom and doom indeed. (Actually, it's life that is "but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." :laugh: That's why we have figure skating, to brighten up our dreary journey to the grave. ;) )

I am not at all sure that showing the men's free skate in prime prime on Sunday (because they have nothing else to show due to the writers' strike) is better than showing it lve on Saturday afternoon. Give me the real deal any time, instead of a stale tape.

Here is perhaps the worst news of all for USFS:
Raith expects the USFSA bottom line for the 2007-08 season to be "break even,"...
Translation: We lost our shirt.
"It (losing the sponsorship of State Farm) was a matter of timing more than anything," USFSA executive director David Raith said. "I am sure in the future this won't be an issue."
Translation: We're up the creek.
"Does it bother anyone but me that Hersh has stated that it's not his "job" to promote figure skating but to "report" on it's 'condition?'
No, I think Hersh is right about that. He is a reporter and columnist. It is not his job to promote the fortunes of skating or anything else. (JMHO :) )

merrybari

Final Flight
Let's keep this thread here, too. Not everyone is reading the Nationals folder, and this article has points of interest beyound the TV schedule changes.

Thanks also to Merrybari for the post.

Gloom and doom indeed. (Actually, it's life that is "but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." :laugh: That's why we have figure skating, to brighten up our dreary journey to the grave. ;) )

I am not at all sure that showing the men's free skate in prime prime on Sunday (because they have nothing else to show due to the writers' strike) is better than showing it lve on Saturday afternoon. Give me the real deal any time, instead of a stale tape.

Here is perhaps the worst news of all for USFS:Translation: We lost our shirt.Translation: We're up the creek.No, I think Hersh is right about that. He is a reporter and columnist. It is not his job to promote the fortunes of skating or anything else. (JMHO :) )

I suppose you could be right about it not being his "job" but to me that then begs the question - whose is it? AND is that someone else falling down on the job?

I'd have to say yes, as I've not seen much positive promo out there to balance the "doom and gloom."

Oh, and I have to say ITA about showing it live.

As someone else here said, I paraphrase, ["who'd give two rips about the superbowl if it was shown after the fact?] Only die-hard fans - like us, eh? Doesn't do much for casual fan to know the results already - in either, or any, sport for that matter.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As someone else here said, I paraphrase, ["who'd give two rips about the superbowl if it was shown after the fact?] Only die-hard fans - like us, eh? Doesn't do much for casual fan to know the results already - in either, or any, sport for that matter.

In the opinion of the general public (casual viewers), figure skating is not a top level sport and they won't be watching the live webcast of the Men's FS and know the results prior to viewing it (if at all) a few hours later in primetime on NBC.

It's only we die-hard fans who really are ticked off about this! However I agree that more Live - and Primetime coverage of figure skating has any chance to eventually improve the popularity to any degree with the casual viewers. The other major factor is financial. U.S. Figure Skating MUST find a new sponsor or sponsors to support and promote the sport. During this downturn in the sport's popularity in the U.S., and the general economic climate, continued strong showings on the international stage (Worlds and Olympics) with some Gold Medalists will help get eventual sponsors. But skating is in for a rough go in the U.S. for awhile. It was bound to happen, in my view... and is surely cyclical in nature. Good luck to those running USFS... they are going to need it to turn things around.

Sorry, "Joesitz." While I did check to see if the article had already been posted, I did not check in the U.S. National forum. Although the article gives the update to the TV Schedule for U.S. Nats, I guess I read it more as being about the gloom that continues to descend on figure skating; therefore, posted here.

No problem Geesesk8 - It's a very interesting article and should be read by all interested in US figure skating in whatever folder.

Regarding the bit about showing the Men's at 7pm instead of 3pm? That would be a tape would it not and those at the Arena will see it at 3pm LIVE, of course.
It can't change the schedule as layed out with so many officials and patrons having bought their return tickets. Oh dear.

Joe

merrybari

Final Flight
Regarding the bit about showing the Men's at 7pm instead of 3pm? That would be a tape would it not and those at the Arena will see it at 3pm LIVE, of course.
It can't change the schedule as layed out with so many officials and patrons having bought their return tickets. Oh dear.

Joe

Correct. They haven't changed the competition schedule, just the broadcast plan.

Also, keep in mind that the times listed in the article are most likely Central Time (Hersh writes from Chicago I believe and St. Paul is also Central Time) so please translate to your own time zone and be sure to "check your local listings (CYLL)."

This little tidbit was also interesting:
The top three age-qualified women (Zhang and Nagasu, both 14, are too young) and men move on to the March worlds in Sweden, the last international event ESPN will cover under its expiring four-year contract.
There has been lots of discussion about whether USFS would (or should) consider juggling it's ladies' world team to make sure they have the best shot at Worlds, irrespective of their showing at Nationals. Hersh seems to think that it's a foregone conclusion that the federation will send the top three age-eligible finishers, period, and let the chips fall as they may.

I think so, too. The only scenario that could upset this is if Kimmie withdraws from Nationals due to injury. Then they might give her an injury bye to Worlds.

This little tidbit was also interesting:There has been lots of discussion about whether USFS would (or should) consider juggling it's ladies' world team to make sure they have the best shot at Worlds, irrespective of their showing at Nationals. Hersh seems to think that it's a foregone conclusion that the federation will send the top three age-eligible finishers, period, and let the chips fall as they may.

I think so, too. The only scenario that could upset this is if Kimmie withdraws from Nationals due to injury. Then they might give her an injury bye to Worlds.
A much worse scenario would be if Kimmie places 4th and the two chosen Ladies fail to make 9th or better or prior to the LP have an injury while in practice.
Well, we get at least two for LA which makes much more pressure for 2009 Nats.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
The only scenario that could upset this is if Kimmie withdraws from Nationals due to injury. Then they might give her an injury bye to Worlds.

Or sickness, ala Kostner.

I think Hersh is telling it like it is in this article. The present and near future really does seem to be bleak for US skating. Not only do they have to deal with the financial hardships, they also do not have a Top Contender in their most popular division to help turn things around. I think Raith is really trying as hard as he can to be optimistic about the situation, but it is not a really good one. On a positive note, though, at least on the surface they seem to be partnered with a TV network that is committed to giving the sport more coverage and exposure, as we can see from the addition of extra prime time coverage (alas at the expense of live coverage).

Last edited: