How expensive is figure skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

How expensive is figure skating

noskates

Record Breaker
I think skaters like Nathan Chen who WOULD have been stars in the US in times past, have little or no exposure. Between the traveling ice shows being severely diminished and little or no televising of competitions - the general public has no idea of who he is. I don't have an answer to this other than to bemoan the fact that figure skating interest has declined severely in the past 10-15 years. And I really don't think it's for lack of talent. If anything, the talent is getting better. Maybe, and I don't know this for a fact, the USFSA hasn't lobbied for more television time or gone to bat for their skaters! Maybe there isn't another Scott Hamilton to drive an ice show like SOI and to work with the television companys to get more coverage.

As for any prices going down anywhere- don't count on it. If anything their profits will increase!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think skaters like Nathan Chen who WOULD have been stars in the US in times past, have little or no exposure. Between the traveling ice shows being severely diminished and little or no televising of competitions - the general public has no idea of who he is. I don't have an answer to this other than to bemoan the fact that figure skating interest has declined severely in the past 10-15 years. And I really don't think it's for lack of talent. If anything, the talent is getting better. Maybe, and I don't know this for a fact, the USFSA hasn't lobbied for more television time or gone to bat for their skaters! Maybe there isn't another Scott Hamilton to drive an ice show like SOI and to work with the television companys to get more coverage.

As for any prices going down anywhere- don't count on it. If anything their profits will increase!

USFS has no money. I tried to convince them to do a few things but they weren’t interested.