How expensive is figure skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

How expensive is figure skating

Sharon Whitlock

Rinkside
How to fix this? I mean I don’t think Nathan is hurting for money. That could be a bad assumption on my part.
I don't think it is fixable unless producers see that figure skating "travelling shows" (along the lines of Stars on Ice or Ice Capades) will bring in big crowds and big bucks.

I remember trying to get tickets for Stars on Ice back in the late 1980s--it was almost impossible because the show sold out so fast! I can't even imagine that happening today, even if stars like Nathan Chen were featured. (Jason Brown might draw a crowd, but perhaps I am biased because I adore his skating and consider him the best in the world today.)

Same for Nationals (U.S.)--in the 1970s - 1990s, there was little chance of getting a a ticket if you didn't jump on it right away--I don't think that's happening now (although I could be wrong).

Sigh. I honestly don't know what it would take to make figure skating popular among the non-skating public again like it was in the 1980s. I do not agree that the sport lacks "star power." We still have plenty of "stars," but the public really doesn't care.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
@NaVi, are you able to translate that link to the services/cost breakdown of the Russian group you posted? Can anyone on this board? (My second language is not Russian.) It would be interesting to see what the monthly fees are for what is provided, and see if we can't, on this board, break that down into dollars (US/Canadian) and Euros. I really like discussing the financial aspect of the sport because it is not covered in great detail.
I am not NaVi but I would give a glimpse. 40000 rbls for group 2 (24 hours on ice and inside) is about $550. It may look as nothing for a US person but the average salary in Russia is 56000 rbls and in Moscow 105000 rbls. So the time, if you want to be serious, will cost you about 70% of an average Russian salary and 40% of an average Moscow salary. Of course, time is just the beginning. Some of the comments that I saw on this board insisted on state-sponsored figure skating in Russia. Once again, unless you are in the National team, you (your parents) have to pay a lot here.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not NaVi but I would give a glimpse. 40000 rbls for group 2 (24 hours on ice and inside) is about $550. It may look as nothing for a US person but the average salary in Russia is 56000 rbls and in Moscow 105000 rbls. So the time, if you want to be serious, will cost you about 70% of an average Russian salary and 40% of an average Moscow salary. Of course, time is just the beginning. Some of the comments that I saw on this board insisted on state-sponsored figure skating in Russia. Once again, unless you are in the National team, you (your parents) have to pay a lot here.
I think that many understand how expensive skating is ALL OVER the world... when some mention Russian (or some other countries) state-sponsored athletes, and that's not just for skating, it is in comparison to for instance, athletes from some countries who are in the national team and still have to work as a waiter or in the "rink shop" to pay for their training, even if they are at the top of the food chain in their respective country and discipline. For instance, Nam Nguyen's parents were paying for so much... though Nam has achieved rankings as high as fifth in the Worlds and has been on the National team (including 2 titles) for years... Nam has confessed that he does work at the pro-shop, ... etc to pay for his skating as his parents stopped funding him.... I know this led to out of context controversial drama as well, but Patrick Chan mentioned that if he were skating for China, he wouldn't have to worry about money... So when you have a skater like Patrick Chan who has been on top of the world for many years, whose state funding is not sufficient, that is when the comparison is really important. The top athletes in Canada receive some money from their federation, but nearly not enough to cover the costs of the sport... in other words, it's not an even battle... Also, our National team right now is comprised of 3 men and 3 women.. + pairs and dance... how many athletes are in the national team in Russia? In other words, if you do not make it to the podium at Nationals in Canada, your funding is depleted. And yes, I do recognize that it will always be like that, meaning rather unfair, because some people just have wealthier parents to start with... as I said, my parents could not afford figure skating for me when i was a kid... so i took swimming... a speedo and goggles is much cheaper than blades, boots, and ice time...

Last edited:

Climb

Rinkside
Country
Russia
I remember they were asked "Would you take a talented but poor skater in your group?"
And the answer was something like "Our club is not state sponsored so we can't afford that, but we try to make our prices reasonable"
So, my understanding is that they are more like the Plyushchenko academy

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I remember they were asked "Would you take a talented but poor skater in your group?"
And the answer was something like "Our club is not state sponsored so we can't afford that, but we try to make our prices reasonable"
Who? Bulycheva team? They are part of Sambo 70 like Eteri is.

Amei

Record Breaker

I don't think Plushenko is all that 'affordable' though; I vaguely remember someone mentioning that Kostantinova said in an interview that they charged them for every little thing like even to use a treadmill there was a fee. I tried going into her Fanfest thread, while I didn't find that interview I did find this 1, https://m-sport--express-ru.cdn.amp...tanislava-konstantinova-intervyu-1782643/amp/

- And if you look at the financial picture - again, there is a top with sponsors, but then there is an abyss. And even for the stripes of Rostelecom, the majority of those wearing a jacket do not receive money.
- Now the situation in figure skating is already better, not only Rostelecom is there, but other sponsors.
- Do you have sponsors?
- (laughs)
- Well, you see.
- But I'm not in the national team. In general, I now wear this jacket only because it is beautiful.
- There are simply many less well-known sports where they earn more. Isn't it true that figure skating is super popular now and skaters are poor?
- Yes, I agree. A very difficult situation. For example, I have been outside the national team for several years, only in the St. Petersburg national team, but I paid for the coach's travel to the competition this year myself, and for the costumes too. Two pairs of skates are the same. There was a period when the federation was headed by Sergei Chopozov, at some point he helped with paying for training, dress, skates.

theblade

On the Ice
Cost-wise, coaching fees have, of course, risen over the decades. Hourly ice rates vary wildly, too, depending on the rink and state you're in. We've seen anything from $5/h in Utah to $18/h in California. I believe some skaters have quoted up to $25/h for ice time (don't know where this would be, but wow!).

I wasn't aware of how hard it is in Russia for skaters still trying to break into the ranks that get recognition from their Fed. From what I've seen in online conversations, skating in England is also incredibly difficult for dedicated athletes and their coaches.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it is fixable unless producers see that figure skating "travelling shows" (along the lines of Stars on Ice or Ice Capades) will bring in big crowds and big bucks.

I remember trying to get tickets for Stars on Ice back in the late 1980s--it was almost impossible because the show sold out so fast! I can't even imagine that happening today, even if stars like Nathan Chen were featured. (Jason Brown might draw a crowd, but perhaps I am biased because I adore his skating and consider him the best in the world today.)

Same for Nationals (U.S.)--in the 1970s - 1990s, there was little chance of getting a a ticket if you didn't jump on it right away--I don't think that's happening now (although I could be wrong).

Sigh. I honestly don't know what it would take to make figure skating popular among the non-skating public again like it was in the 1980s. I do not agree that the sport lacks "star power." We still have plenty of "stars," but the public really doesn't care.
Nationals do not sell out at all. The ladies comes closer than anything else. The men sell about half. The pairs and ice dance forget it.
The Juniors basically have their parents and a few other people like me.

I don’t think Nathan is really a “star” in the US. I mean of course with us he is. But not with the general public. Dorothy Hamill was a star. Everyone had to have her haircut. Tai and Randy were stars. They skated in Vegas, skated for the Queen of England, Today show, SOI, everywhere.

I wonder if part of the problem is so many cable sports channels. In the 70s and 80s my mom and I had no idea of skating schedules. We checked in the paper every week to see if there might be some skating on Wide World of Sports. If there was we would set our alarms if necessary and get up and watch them. Not just worlds and nationals, there were professional championships, pro/am, Dick Button had a professional competition at (I think) Madison Square Garden. So there were ample opportunities to compete after one turned pro if one chose.

Speaking of Dick Button, I STILL remember his voice breaking when he told us Tai and Randy had had to wd from the Olympics. Can you imagine that happening today? I can’t.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cost-wise, coaching fees have, of course, risen over the decades. Hourly ice rates vary wildly, too, depending on the rink and state you're in. We've seen anything from $5/h in Utah to $18/h in California. I believe some skaters have quoted up to $25/h for ice time (don't know where this would be, but wow!).

I wasn't aware of how hard it is in Russia for skaters still trying to break into the ranks that get recognition from their Fed. From what I've seen in online conversations, skating in England is also incredibly difficult for dedicated athletes and their coaches.
I know PJ has a hard time. If my ship ever comes in I am going to start randomly giving skaters money (via their funding links, not like dropping bags of cash at their doors).
Maybe the Fitterer brothers skating for England will help. But that might crowd out PJ.

macy

Record Breaker

the new skating club of boston probably tops every rink in the US- almost $28 for an hour of walk on.

theblade

On the Ice
So I guess the skating club of Boston offers a bulk rate to their daily skaters on the competitive track? That is a tremendous financial commitment to ice fees alone, before coaching fees.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And the West Coast Clubs are even more expensive especially around SF and LA.

macy

Record Breaker
thats just wild. my rink charges $16 an hour for drop in and that's expensive to me (used to be like $7 an hour back when i competed). i have no idea how people afford $30 an hour.

dcr

Rinkside
thats just wild. my rink charges $16 an hour for drop in and that's expensive to me (used to be like $7 an hour back when i competed). i have no idea how people afford $30 an hour.
In Canada in a small city in Ontario the ice fees are $200/hr for prime time and $152/hr for non prime ice (early morning or very late evening). I was paying about $40k per yr for a skater at the Novice level of competitive dance at a Central Ontario Club a number of years ago. Transitioning into Junior would increase that amount substantially.