How to be an LGBT ally during the Sochi games | Golden Skate

How to be an LGBT ally during the Sochi games

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In an irony that I'm sure Mr Putin would NOT appreciate, the single most successful athlete in Sochi was out bisexual Ireen Wüst, the Dutch speedskater who won 5 medals (2 gold, 3 silver). Waving my big gay rainbow flag for you Ireen!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
In an irony that I'm sure Mr Putin would NOT appreciate, the single most successful athlete in Sochi was out bisexual Ireen Wüst, the Dutch speedskater who won 5 medals (2 gold, 3 silver). Waving my big gay rainbow flag for you Ireen!

:clap: Yes! Great for her! 8-time Olympic medalist. :bow:

No kidding? Wow, imagine winning 5 medals. Formidable performance.

I don't know where to put this post, but it's related to the basic issue of Russia's outlook on gays, and what people outside of Russia feel they can say or do about it.

André Leon Talley, perhaps the most influential person of color on the American fashion scene, worked at Vogue Magazine for thirty years. About a year ago, he was lured away to a new, very glossy fashion magazine just getting ready to launch, Numéro Russia, as its international editor-at-large. Talley is openly gay. I was poking around trying to find out more about this magazine when I found several announcements that Talley has just resigned his position (about two weeks ago, in fact). In a quote I found, he gave Russia's position on gays as one of his reasons. Now, Talley isn't going to starve without this job, but I'm sure it was plenty lucrative, and the work must have been tremendously enjoyable. So quitting this job entailed some loss on his part. I don't know how easily the decision to resign came to him, but he committed himself to it. Just thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't know where to put this post, but it's related to the basic issue of Russia's outlook on gays, and what people outside of Russia feel they can say or do about it.

André Leon Talley, perhaps the most influential person of color on the American fashion scene, worked at Vogue Magazine for thirty years. About a year ago, he was lured away to a new, very glossy fashion magazine just getting ready to launch, Numéro Russia, as its international editor-at-large. Talley is openly gay. I was poking around trying to find out more about this magazine when I found several announcements that Talley has just resigned his position (about two weeks ago, in fact). In a quote I found, he gave Russia's position on gays as one of his reasons. Now, Talley isn't going to starve without this job, but I'm sure it was plenty lucrative, and the work must have been tremendously enjoyable. So quitting this job entailed some loss on his part. I don't know how easily the decision to resign came to him, but he committed himself to it. Just thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention.

Good for him! He was a bit of a loopy judge on America's Next Top Model, but I'm glad to see he has integrity in him (and in the fashion industry where money and relevance are everything, it's brave of him to take the high road).