I think Ashley Wagner's going to become the biggest rival to Yu-na and/or Mao in 2010 | Golden Skate

I think Ashley Wagner's going to become the biggest rival to Yu-na and/or Mao in 2010

fourclover

On the Ice
I think Ashley Wagner's going to become the biggest rival to Yu-na and/or Mao in 2010

I thought Ashley's LP performance at the Nationals was the best I've seen in a single ladies event this season. She has a great sense of music and she has more power and control to her skating moves. I went back to Youtube to see her TEB LP and I thought she was better than Kimmie or Mao in expression. I was watching the Nationals with my mom and she was like, "she's better than Yu-na." I don't think 2010 is going to be a two-pony race at all. Mirai Nagasu - although she skates like a diluted version of Yu-na, Mao, Michelle now, she's pretty impressive at her age, clearly set apart from Caroline Zhang whose skating I cannot enjoy at all because of lukewarm speed. Although I'm a Yu-na fan, I think Ashley, Rachel, Mirai all have a good shot at the gold in 2010.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've been in Ashley's cheering corner since 05 when I saw her skate in Novice... she's just so much fun to watch....

but let's not jinx her, eh! ;)

fourclover

On the Ice
she's just so much fun to watch....

Exactly. Her skating is so much more enjoyable to watch than most. I want her to keep doing well so I can see her skate in all the major competitions. She definitely has the flair and the charisma to draw the audience into her programs.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with Toni. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. And remember most of these jumping beans still have to grow up. Wagner's too unproven for me to feel comfortable with her, although her timing is almost perfect- to come breaking onto the scene when Kimmie is struggling big time. She might be a good backup companion to Meissner at the Worlds.

I will play the "wait-and-see" game with Wagner. Remember when everyone was crowing about how consistent Meissner was a year ago? ANYTHING can happen on any given day. I'm just not ready to jump to conclusions or dump a bunch of expectations on her.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i predicted before nats that ashley would be a huge potential to win there. As always, she delived two clean, fast sharp programs with clean jumps and fast spins. I would not say that any international judge would place her above yu-na or mao, but she has a much better chance of placing in the top 5 than emily would have or even Kimmie. Probelm is Kimmie is always overmarked, and Ashley under.

My first real glimpse at Ashley was in Skate Canaa, where she came from behind to get a bronze.

What she has more than most skaters is that she's good under fire. Very cool kid and I think when she matures in skating more and more, that is what will make her a winner.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
Also, keep in mind that Mirai, Ashley and Rachel had only the weight of their personal aspirations on their shoulders at US Nationals. We don't know how they will perform next year with the weight of expectations.

Caroline Z did react to expectations IMO. She made it to GPF during her 1st season as a Sr. and she finished 4th. That set the bar high for her. I noticed that her speed during the exhibitions, while not fabulous, was better than during her LP and extremely better than during her SP. During her SP she skated slower than she did at the beginning of the season - and she skated faster at GPF than she did at Nationals. I really think she was overly cautious during her SP, which slowed her down and caused her mistakes. Hopefully, she takes this experience with her and remembers to always attack in the future.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And you see what happened to Nagasu when the attention shifted to her after the SP- an uncharacteristic fall on a 2A to start the FS. Luckily she had the focus to pull herself together, but next year is going to be VERY interesting, especially if there are only two spots on the World team to be had.

heyang

Record Breaker
And you see what happened to Nagasu when the attention shifted to her after the SP- an uncharacteristic fall on a 2A to start the FS. Luckily she had the focus to pull herself together, but next year is going to be VERY interesting, especially if there are only two spots on the World team to be had.

Good point there, too. Nagasu did not skate as fast during LP as she did during her SP because she wanted to win, instead of just wanting to skater her best.

I actually feel bad for Kimmie for winning World's when she did. Honestly, she skated very well, but she won because the top competitors of that season did not attend or splatted. Since then, she's had to live up to those expectations, instead of growing more gradually as other competitors have been able to outside of the limelight.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I just love Ashley. Actually, I love all four young skaters. Among the four, Ashley really stands out because she's already physicaly mature and different. But, being competitive with Yu-na or Mao means having seven triples, two double axels, and all lv4 spins with very respectable artistry. Having seen how consistently Ashley has progressed, I think she can reach that level by 2010 but not now. The only thing she should watch out is her physique. She's probably in the best shape she can be, but she should be careful not to become too big like Sarah Hughes post-SLC.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's not Meissner's fault that Cohen and Suguri couldn't bring it, though. It was like a S. Hughes- just skated the SOHL and counted on mistakes from the favorites and ended up winning. The former also experienced the "post-win blues" as well- placing only 6th at the following Worlds.

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
When I see Ashley I can feel her boldness and confidence and it shows in her skating and I think that's what lacks in most of elite-skaters these days. I'm not sure if she will be competitive enough to be a contender(internationally), we'll see, she has yet to prove it, but I hope she doesn't lose that spark.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Ashley may not stack up to the Asian ladies at Worlds for this season but after watching the European ladies this weekend I am not sure if any of them can overtake Ashley. She's pretty good.

Last edited:

pista04

On the Ice
My gut is telling me Wagner won't be on the same level as Asada/Kim in Vancouver for one simple reason: Wagner's clock is leading directly there, while Asada's and Kim's, my gut is telling me, will be a little off.

Instead, I expect the American Ladies (Wagner, plus the two others, whether is Zhang, Nagasu, Flatt or Meissner) to all the prime fighters for the medals. Asada and Kim, I do expect to medal, but I have a feeling that it just won't be their night, if you will.

I'm rooting for Wagner, but any American lady to win would be amazing. =]

R.D.

Record Breaker
She seems to be making good progress, coming out on her own at the GP this season. But it means squat- remember Alyssa in 2005?

As for Wagner, and whether she's someone to root for...is she likeable? Not a question I expect anyone to answer, and won't do so myself, but I just think KM had something about her that I don't see in other skaters that makes one want to root for her.

Fossi

Final Flight
Wagner needs a style change if she wants to compete with teh bigguns. That ponytail has got to go!

fourclover

On the Ice
I thought Ashley's ponytail went well with the choreography and music - adds a bit of sass to her skate.

Also, I don't think Ashley will become like Kimmie at all. I was never impressed with Kimmie's artistry even when she won the Worlds. But Ashley, although she only got Bronze at TEB and Nationals, wow, you can tell she's got more flair to her skate than Kimmie's.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Ashley to me exhibited the same joy that Tara Lipinski used to exhibit when she skated. Tara's skating made you...happy. Ashley's does the same to me.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Ashley is a wonderful skater, but I'm wondering how she will compete at 18 in Vancouver. I still have a gut feeling about Rachel Flatt. She will be 17&1/2 in Vancouver. What's exciting is that by 2010, the U.S. will have almost an "embarrassment of riches" in ladies. Nagasu 16, Chang 16, Flatt 17&1/2, Wagner 18, and perhaps a new and stronger Kimmie at 20.

flying camel

Medalist
I love her. She is not scared to compete. That's her best quality. I do think she could use some better choreography. Her choreography is not bad it just needs some improvement. Maybe she just needs to work with some of the top choreographers. I can't wait to see how she does at worlds.