Ilia Malinin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ilia Malinin

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
He did so good! We watched his practice this morning in Bellevue and he's just so relaxed and confident. Hope he does well in the free, and not do something like Courchevel where he flamed out in the long. His advice to his skater friends is always do well in the short so you build a buffer for yourself if you flame out in the long

Remilia

On the Ice
Sad he didn't make the team. I became a fan of his after his stellar performances! Hopefully this doesn't discourage him...I'm obviously not hoping for anyone to get covid, but that is a very real possibility, so he should still be ready to compete at Beijing.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
I am a fan. He doesn't look like any other up-and-coming rookies I have seen in the sport. So much more than exceptional jumps (which are, by the way, insanely exceptional). And boy is Just too adorable not to like. Smiles just like his mother.
I’ve seen Ilia grow up as a skater since he was really young and he’s close friends with my boys. He’s always been a special skater and even as a kid he’s head above his competitors. You know this kid is special even at the preliminary level

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I a bit sad that he's not going to the Olympics? Yes. But unfortunately, the criteria had to be followed. I'm a Jason fan too so I am happy for Jason. I saw some comments on how he should go represent another country....which is ludicrous. Not all 3 of the Olympic nominees will be back for 2026. Ilia will be able to prove himself more during the next quad. As a fellow NOVAer, I have so much happiness right now on how he performed.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’ve seen Ilia grow up as a skater since he was really young and he’s close friends with my boys. He’s always been a special skater and even as a kid he’s head above his competitors. You know this kid is special even at the preliminary level
You're from NOVA too? I first gained notice of Ilia at the JGP USA 2019 during his SP. First cause he's from the same county as me, and then cause how he performed. I knew he had potential.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One question I do have is that what competition is Ilia going to compete in to get the senior mins for the SP for Worlds since he’s not going to 4CC.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
One question I do have is that what competition is Ilia going to compete in to get the senior mins for the SP for Worlds since he’s not going to 4CC.
A good question, since he is first Olympic alternate, so he is not going to 4cc's, and then he would have to go to the men's and women's World Junior Singles Camp, if he wants to go to junior World's. And then to Junior World's, since of course they would want to send him, if he wants to go. Camp ends Feb. 1. Olympics ends for FS Feb. 20.

Junior World's starts Mar. 7 ends Mar. 13. in Bulgaria.

If he wants to live dangerously and try to do both, his best chances are:

March 13–17 Triglav Trophy & Narcisa Cup, Jesenice, Slovenia

March 18–20 Coupe du Printemps
Kockelscheuer, Luxembourg

Senior World's starts March 21. In France, which is picky about COVID status.

So I think he has to choose I think, between doing senior and junior World's. At Junior World's, he has a great chance to win. At senior world's he gets great experience, but he probably won't medal.

We will have to see what he chooses to do

Women and men will be named to the 2022 U.S. World Junior Team following the conclusion of the World Junior Singles Camp, Jan. 31-Feb. 1 in Norwood, Massachusetts.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, he does. Tirnavia and Coupe de Printemps have ISU senior events.

If he skips the Junior World's, he has more choices. But all choices involve either an extended stay in Europe or two trips to Europe.

February 24–27Senior
Jun.–Nov.
All
M/W/P
The Hague, Netherlands
February 25–27Sen.–Nov.M/W/PSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
March 3–6[l]Sen.–Nov.M/WBucharest, Romania
March 4–6
Tallinnk Hotels Cup
Sen.–M/W Tallinn, Estonia

It is clear the original plan was to get his Senior TES scores at CS Cup of Austria. He got his FS TES score, but had a rough SP and did not not get quite the 34 TES points he needed.

He does not need another competition to do Junior World's.

Last edited:
Reactions: ana

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never mind, you edited it. I kinda feel like in my opinion, they should let Ilia have a bye from that camp to go to 4CC instead to get the mins more easily. Cause then Olympics in case one of the guys tests positive, then Junior Worlds, then Worlds. Matteo Rizzo of Italy did that in 2018 and was able to win bronze and JWC. Of course I know this was during a different time where we didn’t have to worry about COVID. But I’m also pointing out that it can be done. Now if he has to go to that junior Worlds camp because it’s required, then that’s fine, but it’s going to be a lot harder to try to get the senior mins for the SP if none of the three men test positive (Which I Hope does not happen).