Ilia Malinin | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ilia Malinin

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I also want to see him compete in both JWC and WC, if possible. WC more so though, because he can't do 4CC.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I also want to see him compete in both JWC and WC, if possible. WC more so though, because he can't do 4CC.
WC being much more important of course - especially as he'll be fresh vs seniors who competed at Olympics. There's a chance he could podium at senior worlds which is a much bigger deal than winning JWC (or even a top 10 senior worlds finish)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I a bit sad that he's not going to the Olympics? Yes. But unfortunately, the criteria had to be followed. I'm a Jason fan too so I am happy for Jason. I saw some comments on how he should go represent another country....which is ludicrous. Not all 3 of the Olympic nominees will be back for 2026. Ilia will be able to prove himself more during the next quad. As a fellow NOVAer, I have so much happiness right now on how he performed.

@cheerknithanson since you are Ilia's biggest, long time fan on this Board, you were the first person I thought of when he did so well at Nats. Congrats on your boy.:clap:Thank you for your gracious words about Jason and your understanding.

I know his fans are disappointed not to see him selected for Olys, but I am sure Ilia will do great things in the future. And the future is not that far away:)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@cheerknithanson since you are Ilia's biggest, long time fan on this Board, you were the first person I thought of when he did so well at Nats. Congrats on your boy.:clap:Thank you for your gracious words about Jason and your understanding.

I know his fans are disappointed not to see him selected for Olys, but I am sure Ilia will do great things in the future. And the future is not that far away:)
I love both of them! Jason a bit more in a way, but gotta cheer on for my fellow NOVAer. Both had terrific cases, but at the end of the day, the USFSA had to go by their criteria. And Nathan and Vincent were the top 2 by their criteria. So it was going to be between Jason and Ilia.

Last edited:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ilia was the highlight of Nationals for me! I’m in the DC metro area and he’s been on my radar since Skate America last season. I was really looking forward to seeing his senior nationals debut, but WOW, I certainly wasn’t expecting that! :hap10::clap: I loved his father’s reaction in the K&C as his FS scores came up :laugh:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Ilia's dad Roman Skorniakov at the Salt Lake Olympics - sitting in the KnC with him are Tatiana as coach and an Uzbek fed representative. Apparently mum and dad coached each other during their final competitive season!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know people have mixed feelings about TSL, but they've just dropped an interview with Ilia. Watch it, or don't.

He needs to polish up his interview skills, but he's young and comes across as very authentic.

Most interesting tidbit - he has a six-year-old sister coming up the ranks.

To quote Yoda, "There is another."

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it was a decent interview. I would have asked if he would skate to more rock-ish music next year. I have a framework of a FP in my head to Welcome to the Black Parade.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay so I was doing some calculations....so if Ilia wants to do junior and senior worlds.....he would have to leave Beijing after the men's event (Which luckily it's the first solo event after the team event) if the Olympic entries all stay healthy, then come back to the Netherlands or B&H...then.....ooooo.....okay none of these sound great cause then he would have to alternate between Europe and the USA....this is not going to be easy.....

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
He did sound like he wants to do both, and I hope he can. I guess we’ll know after Olympics craze finally dies down.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A good question, since he is first Olympic alternate, so he is not going to 4cc's, and then he would have to go to the men's and women's World Junior Singles Camp, if he wants to go to junior World's. And then to Junior World's, since of course they would want to send him, if he wants to go. Camp ends Feb. 1. ...

Okay so I was doing some calculations....so if Ilia wants to do junior and senior worlds.....he would have to leave Beijing after the men's event (Which luckily it's the first solo event after the team event) if the Olympic entries all stay healthy, then come back to the Netherlands or B&H...then.....ooooo.....okay none of these sound great cause then he would have to alternate between Europe and the USA....this is not going to be easy.....

Only speculation, but ...

If USFS wants Ilia on stand-by in/near Beijing, maybe he will be excused from Junior Worlds selection camp (Jan 31 - Feb 1)?
FWIW, Knierim/Frazier are scheduled to depart for Beijing on Jan 27.

Ilia could return to U.S. as early as Feb 8, after Olympic individual men's SP?
(He would not be allowed to compete only in individual FS even if a Team USA man needed to withdraw after SP.)

Later to Europe to earn Worlds SP minimum before Feb 28 deadline.

Then possible that it would be easier for him to remain in Europe thereafter -- at least for Junior Worlds (week of Mar 7)? Maybe straight through also for Worlds (week of Mar 21)?
With USFS assisting with expenses and with finding training facilities, I hope?

For posterity, pre-Nationals articles:

(Jan 7)

(Jan 2)​

The Washington City Paper article includes this excerpt re past injuries:
To skate his potential, Malinin will need to overcome some lingering ankle problems that recently kept him from training for three weeks. He had hoped to compete in the senior men’s competition last year, but fractured his ankle after placing fifth at Skate America, an annual international competition.
Also has some fun color re the atmosphere at Championship Series Leesburg.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If possible he should skip the JWC as he now is the silver medalist in US Senior Nationals and has gotten a slot at Senior WC. Besides JWC and Senior WC are way too close...

Tally

Rinkside
Have you guys seen this yet? 🙀 Quad toe, quad loop combo…

Just piggybacking off my last post, does anyone else believe being left off the team has lit a FIRE under him? I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw him posting a quad axel here soon. That said, I realize that one perfect clip on IG is not the same as consistently performing a skill, but the fact that he’s even attempting and landing such feats warrants a lot of respect. I can’t wait for worlds… 🙌