Illyushechkina/Moscovitch vs. Moore-Towers/Marinaro | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Illyushechkina/Moscovitch vs. Moore-Towers/Marinaro

peg

Medalist
I am obsessed with Luba and Dylan. I think they have great promise and they have great chemistry. I think their partnership is actually more equal than MTM2- Dylan is more the public face for now but Luba is definitely a powerhouse in her own right and I can see her not putting up with Dylan pushing her around. I think they respect each other a lot given their whole journey (it was discussed in depth in their TSL interview) and that sort of struggle together in the beginning made them trust each other a lot. They had to figure out everything about each other and work on merging Russian and Canadian training techniques and styles...It says a lot about Dylan that he was willing to risk it all on the Russian federation releasing her, I feel like that hasn't happened in a while (if ever? not sure).
He was also financing their training until she was released because they didn't qualify for funding. So yeah, he really must have believed in the partnership to put so much on the line. They both seem to really value and respect each other :)

sses1

On the Ice
Well obviously anyone with good taste is going to say I/M. They're exciting, fresh and despite the mistakes you still love them anyway.
About MT/M, its really embarrassing how bad they've done this season :slink:
Everything about their programs and skating is so contrived and weak and it looks even worse since Kristen was 4th in Worlds a year ago. It's so bad that they're getting passed by a junior team who isn't even that great yet (though S/B have a very bright future ahead of them).
I don't know what can be done here. It's easy to say he needs more training but my question is why didn't the coaching team address these issues when they first paired up? Maybe in addition to the style and technique overhaul, these two should also seek new coaches?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I will add that I like Kirsten and I think she's a good pairs skater and she's so cute. I don't mind that she switched partners with the hopes of making two more Olympics...I doubt splitting was a decision she made lightly. But I think she made a mistake in choosing Michael and I will continue to think that until Michael is able to prove otherwise. I think she could have done better because she did try out with a few people but she was so quick in choosing him and I think that was a mistake

I candidly do think Kirsten has made some mistakes here, yes, but in fairness tryouts are I think tricky and you kind of do end up making a rather quick decision based chiefly on the vibe/feeling you get over usually just 2 days (sometimes even just 1 day, very rarely more than 3). It's really not possible in that amount of time to know how things will ultimately play out- you just know how you feel about it and make your best guess.

rvi5

On the Ice
I wonder what entrance they used to get her up into that position with his hands only on her shoulders?

CassAgain

On the Ice
It was a lasso entry, with a halt similar to what happened to M-T-M2 at 4CCs. There is a video of the lift on Luba's Facebook from the time of Nationals.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It was a lasso entry, with a halt similar to what happened to M-T-M2 at 4CCs. There is a video of the lift on Luba's Facebook from the time of Nationals.

Would you be so good to post a link if not to the actual video at least to her FB page? I cannot seem to find it :/ Thank you!

tulosai

Record Breaker

gucko

Spectator
So pleased with I/M's progress this year!

I think it is far too early to write off M-T/M as they are both young in their first year together. However, I would question the coaching they are receiving. The lifts have looked laboured all season long....I mean how many people have commented on this in the past few months??! I don't understand why they aren't doing lifts that they can manage well in their programs. It simply looks awful with all the struggling they are doing. Why would they not change them? I really can't understand this. I think the bad looking lifts are really harmful to their reputation....just my two cents... I do wish both teams much success!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suspect Kristen's problem in lifts is that she isn't adept in assisting in the lift by projecting herself upwards while her partner lifts her. Even with Dylan, I could see him straining at times because she seemed to be a dead weight.

Even though she is small in stature, she is not that teeny-tiny in body type, so her not fully assisting in the lift is an extra burden for her partner. Marinaro was able to lift Margaret Purdy, a much taller woman who did obviously contribute fully to the lift, otherwise he would never have been able to lift her the past few years, as she was close to his height.

pandatours

On the Ice
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152571107277617&pnref=story

Here it is.

As an aside, there seems to be a rather adorable friendship developing between Luba, Kaitlyn, and Alex Paul.

Thank you for the video! Luba and Patrick stayed in Detroit for a while while waiting for her Canadian visa and many Canadian skaters let them crash with them for free- Weapo, Alex & Paul, Patrick Chan, and a couple of others I think. I always thought that was so sweet and I love that they've embraced Luba

noidont

Final Flight
I don't think Kirsten is wrong to assume Dylan isn't the best bet for her in the long run. Assuming Dylan (or Kirsten) has a major injury, he will be more inclined to retire instead of going through long rehab and wait, whereas if one of Kirsten and Marinaro has an injury, sitting out a season wouldn't be too big of a deal. I assume Lubov is quite unlikely to get citizenship in time, so the way things stand, KMT and Marinaro still stand a higher chance for Korea.

kdpair

Spectator
Thank you for the video! Luba and Patrick stayed in Detroit for a while while waiting for her Canadian visa and many Canadian skaters let them crash with them for free- Weapo, Alex & Paul, Patrick Chan, and a couple of others I think. I always thought that was so sweet and I love that they've embraced Luba

WOW Patrick is now doing pairs

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't think Kirsten is wrong to assume Dylan isn't the best bet for her in the long run. Assuming Dylan (or Kirsten) has a major injury, he will be more inclined to retire instead of going through long rehab and wait, whereas if one of Kirsten and Marinaro has an injury, sitting out a season wouldn't be too big of a deal. I assume Lubov is quite unlikely to get citizenship in time, so the way things stand, KMT and Marinaro still stand a higher chance for Korea.

No, she can actually probably get the citizenship in time, though it will be tight. You have to have resided in Canada for 3 of the past 4 years. It will be tight and she will probably need the actual application itself to be expedited and not sitting in an office somewhere for a few months as these things tend to be but she will be eligible and I'd say it is actually likely she can get it... it's not a death trap like the USA.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
No, she can actually probably get the citizenship in time, though it will be tight. You have to have resided in Canada for 3 of the past 4 years. It will be tight and she will probably need the actual application itself to be expedited and not sitting in an office somewhere for a few months as these things tend to be but she will be eligible and I'd say it is actually likely she can get it... it's not a death trap like the USA.

She has to get landed immigrant status (or whatever they're calling it these days - permanent residence?) first, and I don't think she has that. It took my daughter in law almost a year to get that, and she was married to a Canadian. And the application for citizenship, if not expedited, will take more like years, not months.

pandatours

On the Ice
She has to get landed immigrant status (or whatever they're calling it these days - permanent residence?) first, and I don't think she has that. It took my daughter in law almost a year to get that, and she was married to a Canadian. And the application for citizenship, if not expedited, will take more like years, not months.

If I/M continue to do well, they will most likely get an exemption to have their citizenship expedited which Skate Canada will undoubtedly push for. Per this article: "[Piper] Gilles had her citizenship expedited under what’s known as the “five-four” section of the Citizenship Act, which allows the Minister of Immigration to grant citizenship “to alleviate cases of special and unusual hardship or to reward services of an exceptional value to Canada. It’s been used more than 500 times since 1977, often for athletes. Chinese-born Eugene Zhen Wang used it to compete at the 2012 Games in London, and fellow figure skater Kaitlyn Weaver used the five-four ahead of the Vancouver Games.”"

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, skaters do seem to get citizenship much faster than mere mortals. I looked up Kaitlin Weaver and Piper Gilles and they both partnered with a Canadian after one Olympics and received Canadian citizenship prior to the next Olympics. In both cases, the expedited citizenship was for naught, as they just missed making the Olympic team. (Weaver in 2010 and Gilles in 2014).