Importance of a 2nd OGM | Golden Skate

Importance of a 2nd OGM

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is a question for mainly Virtue/Moir and Yuzuru Hanyu fans.

Virtue/Moir and Hanyu have already won Olympic gold medals in their disciplines (in 2010 and 2014, respectively). Why is it so important that they win a second gold medal in 2018? Is it more important than winning it for the first time?

And for context, two OGM-repeat upsets: Kim and Plushenko.... why was it so important that Kim won a second OGM in 2014 when she had already won it in 2010? And why was it important that Plushenko won a second individual OGM in 2010 after he had already won it in 2006; and was this rectified by him getting a 2014 team gold?

I'm not looking to turn this into a Sotnikova/Lysacek flame-fest... it's more about the significance of your fave skater winning a 2nd OGM. Personally, I don't mind if V/M or Hanyu don't win, since they already have before... but if they are the best on the day, then good on them for getting another... but that's just me.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it depends on the skaters. Plushy and Yuna were and are still very popular to this day. Katrina Witt is obviously a huge star in skating and like the others, she is known around the world. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Med. Outside of skating fans most people don't really know who she is but, that will all change if she were to win in 2018. For skaters like Hanyu, and Virtue and Moir who already have OGM's, they are already popular in and out of figure skating.

I remember Brian Boitano saying. "I was already popular in the world of skating but, when I won the Olympics my entire life changed." Look at what happened to Oksana after she won. I don't think she was prepared for the whirlwind of opportunities and demands that come with winning the Olympics and skaters don't always handle it well. Look at Christopher Bowman. He didn't even win the Olympics and he had a difficult time dealing with all the pressure of just making the team.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I think it would cement their legendary status and legacy even more. The Olympics are hard enough to win once, and lives change even more after it compared to world titles, but if you can do it 2x? I think it just is so rare that it elevates your status to stratospheric levels... beyond just being popular. It shows you have the skill and ability to defeat more than just one generation of great skaters, and have the mental strength to continue on despite the increased pressure of being the defending champion.

How many women have won it 2x? Only 2.
Men? 1
Pairs? 3, and one of those women 3x.... and another man 2x.
Dance? 1 (just G/P, right?)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Important to whom?

Exactly.....In the US, I still think the most popular skater of the last 20 years even though Tara won the OGM, is Michelle Kwan. If you were to go anywhere in the US with a skaters picture, they'd probably know Michelle and Tara and their Parents would know Peggy Fleming. The most famous US Man from a skating standpoint IMO, is Brian Boitano. Certainly here in Ca.

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
Why is it so important that they win a second gold medal in 2018?

This is a good question, and it's worth discussing. Many people have cited preferences. I would add motivation. That aspect has to be present as well.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
i don't think it's important for their legacy or place in the sport. V/M and Hanyu are easily among the most beloved skaters by fans and also respected skaters by their peers and the skating world in general. I don't think winning another gold medal at the olympics (if it happens) would make them anymore famous or beloved or legendary.
However I guess it is important to them because they want it. Same for Plushenko/Kim.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Important to whom?

Important to anyone who is a fan of these skaters. To V/M fans, why is it important they win a 2nd OGM. To Hanyu fans, why is it important if they win a 2nd OGM.

I guess a followup will be, if they don't win a 2nd OGM, what are the implications to you as a fan?

musicfan80

Medalist
I remember watching the ESPN "30 for 30" documentary on Katarina Witt where it was said that she had to win the second OGM in 1988 in order for the East German government to allow her to participate in any touring shows or other opportunities outside of the country. Granted, I think she would have still be able to take advantage of opportunities after the Wall fell, but she still would have waited 2-3 years and would have have missed out on that $$$$.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Important to anyone who is a fan of these skaters. To V/M fans, why is it important they win a 2nd OGM. ...

I guess a followup will be, if they don't win a 2nd OGM, what are the implications to you as a fan?

If you are assuming that it is important to every V/M fan that they win a second OGM, then your assumption is false.

I have been a big V/M fan since 2010. If they do not win a second OGM, I would love them just as much as I already do.

And based on what they already have given their fans (and the sport) this season, I feel quite sure that I would continue to consider their comeback productive and successful (with or without a second OGM).

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Important to anyone who is a fan of these skaters. To V/M fans, why is it important they win a 2nd OGM. To Hanyu fans, why is it important if they win a 2nd OGM.

Oh in that case, my reply as a Hanyu fan is simply that I wish him to be as happy as he was in Sochi once more. His joy is infectious, lol. And I truly believe he is the best male skater out there, so in my eyes, if he delivers, the second Olympic Gold couldn't be in worthier hands.

Re. your other question, absolutely nothing would change for me, except I would be sorry for him. For me he'd still be the best male single skater of all time, two golds or not.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I couldn't find her interview but hopefully someone here will be able to locate it. There was an interview with Peggy Fleming after her 3rd World Championship and the interviewer asked if she'd be back and she "No......I think it's time for new face to take over" or something to that effect. Does that sound familiar?

Clearly for Peggy, she had done enough with career to be satisfied after winning her OGM and World Titles. Times were much different back then and she did have huge endorsement deals waiting for her. She had TV Specials, tours and was featured in several commercials.

Last edited:
I think that the second Olympic championship is important to Virtue and Moir. They want to be regarded as the best of all time, and this is how to do it. They crushed the field once, holding off a challenge from another fine team, Davis and White. If V&M can come back after eight years and do it again, turning aside a charge by Papadakis and Cizeron, that will be remarkable indeed.

IMHO it is not so important for Yuzuru Hanyu. He is already the greatest. His stature in the sport is not based on how many medals he wins but on the quality of his skating. People will be watching and re-watching his most recent LP at worlds, his performances at 2015 NHK,and his short program at 2015 Grand Prix final decades hence.

Yuna Kim and Evgeny Plushenko were in the same situation. If they had won a second OGM, they would have got their name in the Almanac twice. But it is their performances that we treasure.

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
But without fanboying and being unable to think clearly, I think at least in the case of Yuna, I hear stories (almost like conspiracy theories) how the media would jump on her if she hadn't succeeded the second time over, by probably being critical at her endorsement and her other off ice activities as a distraction. Although some might say conspiracy theory is what it is, but having seen such accusations for athletes in other sport who fail the second time around or have a minor blip in their career, I don't think it would be far from the truth.

Also, what could cement one's legendary status in figure skating more than a consecutive OGM? Unless it happened to be a consecutive gold for the third time!!!!

Neenah16

On the Ice
A fan in my understanding is someone who likes and supports the skater.

If a skater wants a medal and is working very hard to win it. it is only natural that the fans would want them to get it. If that did not happen the fans would be sad and disappointed because someone they like is sad and disappointed. So, IMO the medal is important to fans because it is important to the skater.

blackey

On the Ice
listen up everyone should retire after they won world championship because why is it so important to get another one

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
As much as I am a fan of both V/M and Hanyu, it is not important for me if they don't win. The best performer THAT day wins.
It is something they do for themselves, I mean, you REALLY picked the examples of the most driven competitors in the business :laugh2:

V/M always stated that they missed the competitive fire, they even wanted D/W to return too, and I'm sure it would be to prove something to themselves... They made us feel like they left on an incomplete note though, they didn't feel like they gave a 100% when they lost in Sochi. This is what I understand from them.
The other thing with V/M : As I am NOT North American and as I like D/W and V/M equally I can say this without being judged (almost) : when fans, skate Canada officials, the press in Canada, Canadian sport journalists and Canadian FS commentators say : "we don't understand why you didn't win, you skated perfectly","where the americans that better ? I really don't get this sport" (Hello there Kurt Browning), "for me you should have won definitely", COME ON. I guess it's patriotism, but you don't need to be blinded by that and I feel that when I see CBC coverage, they are HARSH on other skaters and litterally praising every canadian without really pointing out the flaws. So, it's not surprising that SOME Canadian fans (or fans of canadians skaters) just repeat the same words, and it's normal to feel incomplete. Looking back, this return is not surprising.

Hanyu, well this is "simple" : if he's clean, he's unbeatable. It doesn't matter how you want to turn it, but this is a fact. So when he doesn't win, he feels it's on him, he may want this 2nd OGM for proving that he didn't win the 1st by "chance" because he wasn't clean.

Yuna stated in an intervew that she wanted to retire after Vancouver because she reached the top. I feel like she was a bit pushed to go on.
Plushenko is just hungry for glory (and not in a bad way) and I just love him for that, that what makes his performances so guuuud. :biggrin:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
As much as I am a fan of both V/M and Hanyu, it is not important for me if they don't win. The best performer THAT day wins.
It is something they do for themselves, I mean, you REALLY picked the examples of the most driven competitors in the business :laugh2:

V/M always stated that they missed the competitive fire, they even wanted D/W to return too, and I'm sure it would be to prove something to themselves... They made us feel like they left on an incomplete note though, they didn't feel like they gave a 100% when they lost in Sochi. This is what I understand from them.
The other thing with V/M : As I am NOT North American and as I like D/W and V/M equally I can say this without being judged (almost) : when fans, skate Canada officials, the press in Canada, Canadian sport journalists and Canadian FS commentators say : "we don't understand why you didn't win, you skated perfectly","where the americans that better ? I really don't get this sport", "for me you should have won definitely", COME ON. I guess it's patriotism, but you don't need to be blinded by that and I feel that when I see CBC coverage, they are HARSH on other skaters and litterally praising every canadian without really pointing out the flaws. So, it's not surprising that SOME Canadian fans (or fans of canadians skaters) just repeat the same words, and it's normal to feel incomplete.

Hanyu, well this is "simple" : if he's clean, he's unbeatable. It doesn't matter how you want to turn it, but this is a fact. So when he doesn't win, he feels it's on him, he may want this 2nd OGM for proving that he didn't win the 1st by "chance" because he wasn't clean.

Yuna stated in an intervew that she wanted to retire after Vancouver because she reached the top. I feel like she was a bit pushed to go on.
Plushenko is just hungry for glory (and not in a bad way) and I just love him for that, that what makes his performances so guuuud. :biggrin:

I realize that singing isn't as hard on one's body but, I do find it strange that anyone would question a skaters desire to make history. Let's take a singer like Adele. She's famous and on the verge of becoming a superstar. She's clearly having a great year and I can't imagine anyone asking her if she is planning to continue now that she has so many of the awards she coveted before she "Made it"

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
[/B]

I realize that singing isn't as hard on one's body but, I do find it strange that anyone would question a skaters desire to make history. Let's take a singer like Adele. She's famous and on the verge of becoming a superstar. She's clearly having a great year and I can't imagine anyone asking her if she is planning to continue now that she has so many of the awards she coveted before she "Made it"

I am just repeating what she said, honestly. When she won a HUGE weight was lifted off of her shoulders. And she was already a Megastar in her country (or internationally after her FS).
But what do I know right ? ;) They all have their reasons to pursue a competitive career.