Importance of a 2nd OGM | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Importance of a 2nd OGM

Lysambre

Final Flight
This is a question for mainly Virtue/Moir and Yuzuru Hanyu fans.

Virtue/Moir and Hanyu have already won Olympic gold medals in their disciplines (in 2010 and 2014, respectively). Why is it so important that they win a second gold medal in 2018? Is it more important than winning it for the first time?

And for context, two OGM-repeat upsets: Kim and Plushenko.... why was it so important that Kim won a second OGM in 2014 when she had already won it in 2010? And why was it important that Plushenko won a second individual OGM in 2010 after he had already won it in 2006; and was this rectified by him getting a 2014 team gold?

I'm not looking to turn this into a Sotnikova/Lysacek flame-fest... it's more about the significance of your fave skater winning a 2nd OGM. Personally, I don't mind if V/M or Hanyu don't win, since they already have before... but if they are the best on the day, then good on them for getting another... but that's just me.

Why is it important for high levels competitors to have a goal?

Because, as Mao just proved one more time, if they do not have a goal, then they just lose any competitive spirit, an thus cannot compete anymore.

Wanting to win is the very definition of who top athletes are, no matter which sport, no matter which country they are from.

The only reason it's "important" to fans is because fans want to see their favourite happy. but I don't think fans care anywhere near as much as the competitors themselves. And it certainly won't change their feelings about their favs.

gmyers

Record Breaker
People can love competing! And you know Plushenko doubled a jump in his 2006 free skate. Didn't make any mistakes in 2010. Doubled several jumps in 2014 free skate team performance helped win team gold. If you can win another why not if you also like competing and training to compete.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Well it's not super important if I love the skater but if it is their goal, why would I not wholeheartedly support them? Seeing people you love and cherish and achieve their goals is a wonderful thing.

I don't believe in stepping aside and "giving others a chance" just because they already have an OGM, if the skater wants to step down, it's their choice. But if skaters like Virtue/Moir and Yuzuru Hanyu want to continue and explore new areas of their skating then there is nothing wrong with that. After all, this is a sport, if other skaters want to stand at the top, they're going to have to knock them off.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
For me, there are more important things than medal or winning. It is when a skater is fully satisfied with what he/she put out on the ice. If they are happy with their performance and feel like they've done what they want to do, then that is even better for me as a fan. Gold medals are the cherry on top.

As a Yuna fan, I was more proud that Yuna ended with two near flawless skates in Sochi and gave us Nessun Dorma after. If the people we admire are happy, then, as a fan, I am happy for them with or without medals.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna was never driven to win a 2nd OGM unlike someone like Witt. If she was Yuna would have been unstoppable as we saw just a glimpse at Worlds in 2013 of how good she could be and that was after sitting out nearly 2 seasons with the exception of Worlds 2011. Was injury what forced Yuna out of the GP in the Olympic year or did she just not want to do it? As it turned out she probably needed the competition that only the GP could have given her and made her programs better too.

skaterr

On the Ice
Yuna was a strong athlete but she never mentioned about 2nd OGM. That’s because the crazy media keep distorting her words to their taste. And she knew by her instinct it’s not gonna be easy to get one by her pure sportsmanship. I think figure skating results is immensely influenced by the countries the athletes represent. She can’t say she can win the 2nd OGM. I totally understand why she can’t say that.

treeloving

Medalist
Just my 2 cent, in my country more people know Yuzuru because of Yuri on ice than because of winter Olympic....

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yuna was never driven to win a 2nd OGM unlike someone like Witt. If she was Yuna would have been unstoppable as we saw just a glimpse at Worlds in 2013 of how good she could be and that was after sitting out nearly 2 seasons with the exception of Worlds 2011. Was injury what forced Yuna out of the GP in the Olympic year or did she just not want to do it? As it turned out she probably needed the competition that only the GP could have given her and made her programs better too.

1, Yuna withdrew GP at 2014 season is due to foot injury. she made it clear thru official press conference, also nearly all main OG broadcasters (such as NBC) mentioned that during her sochi OG broadcast.
2, the reason Yuna did not get her second gold medal is unfair judging, not missing GP. period.

as the thread hoped this is a thread to discuss meaning of second OGM. not to bash Sot etc. And people here didnot do that. So please also mutually respect Yuna. please do NOT attempt to justify Sochi scandal in any way again. That is another/irrelevent topic.

Last edited: