In Celebration of Phenomenal TECHNICAL Single Skaters! (;^D | Page 2 | Golden Skate

In Celebration of Phenomenal TECHNICAL Single Skaters! (;^D

thvudragon

On the Ice
soogar said:
Tara Lipinski: The girl doesn't get enough credit for her jumps. They were small but they were never cheated and she was so secure on the landings. Plus she was a fantastic spinner (what a beautiful sit spin) and skated really fast. She so deserved her gold medal in 1998 and I'm tired of people dogging her for it. IMO , her Olympic program flat beats the program Sarah Hughes did in 2002 b/c Tara skated with a lot of style and flair and Tara had great posture and looked really polished.
While I can see arguments both ways, I don't agree with your assessment. Most of her jumps were not secure on the landings as she could not hold the landings, having to turn out of most of them. Also, Tara's program was as generic as generic can get. All she did was change the music from Little Women to The Rainbow. The program is almost the same with the same ending pose even. Also, good posture!?!?!?! How can you say that! Tara did NOT have good posture! Her back could hardly be called stable when she was pumping during her crossovers.

TV

lulu

Final Flight
Is there any more room on the Midori gush express? Cause I'd love to join;)

Midori is one of my favorite female skaters, and I agree with everything Nadine said about her. Not only did she do difficult jumping combos, but her jumps were jaw dropping huge. Midori has always been known as the athlete over the artist but, I also thought she had a fresh style for the time.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Whoa, excellent additions everyone, keep 'em coming! :love: {two thumbs way up}

Ladskater, howdy fellow Zeppelin Fan! :D Page & Plant truly are the gods of Rock! http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/rocker.gif And to relate this to skating, I too remember a couple of kick a** routines done to Led Zeppelin, most notably by the "god of f.s." (btw I don't say this lightly) Kurt Browning ~ his routine to Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreux was simply thee Bomb (especially wearing those hockey skates & those Jim Morrison style tight leather black pants) ~ 'nuff said.

***Note: IMHO Kurt Browning is the best male figure skater to have ever graced the sport - no b.s. - body of an Adonis, footwork of a gazelle, and the spirit & soul of a hard rock god (as well as funk; aka "Brick House"). The guy can literally skate to a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g).*** Oops, one more thing, will never forget his 2A/3A jump - the guy owns it (no lie) - remember one time where the broadcastger at a pro. competition whom was not familiar w/skating actually GASPED when he performed this jump to "Brick House" (I did too btw, no lie :eek:).

Another Led Zeppelin program that ties with Kurt's as my all-time favorite has to be Elena Bechke & Denis Petrov's pro. routine to Whole Lotta Love - WOOHOO!!! Not only that, I also feel that they fit into this thread b/c they were superb technical skaters. In fact, IMHO Elena Bechke was the greatest female pairs skater of her era in terms of power, speed, strength, and guts (no b.s.; underrated to say the least). Once again, we see a FAB technical skater overshadowed by her peer(s) that excelled in the presentation/artistry department. JMHO. ***Note: Elena's strength on those lifts, entrances, & exits was something to behold, as well as her totally rock hard/cut body ~ best in the biz ~ built like a bodybuilder.***

DORISPULASKI, darn right, jump in with those names! :)^D Elaine Zayak & Denise Biellmann sure as heck deserve to be on the list......no question about it.......thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories (no lie). :) Likewise, Debi Thomas, of course. :)^) ***Note: Denise Biellmann's haunting pro. routine to an obscure Lenny Kravitz song still remains my favorite of hers, which is saying something b/c I love everything Denise does (aka "On Golden Pond", "African Drums", "Salt-n-Peppa", et al).***

floskate, Vash01, lulu, yeah, Ito Fans rock! :)^D Thanks for jumping in & adding more fascinating & interesting info. about the greatest female figure skater to ever come out of Japan......bar none.......she paved the way for those to follow (no b.s.). It's always tougher for the pioneers, whom have no path to follow, they make their own. Thus, Midori Ito stands alone, she doesn't just stand amongst the giants, she is The Giant. ***Note: another picture that is emblazoned on my memory of the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron is the young Tara Lipinski looking awestruck as Midori Ito was ascending heavenwards on that think slab of oval stone upon which she stood, holding the majestic burning gold Torch in one hand; a peek at destiny perhaps? a passing of the torch from one technical phenom to another? I love to think so...). Btw, Midori Ito's landing of the 3A @ the 1992 Olympics (after having failed on her first attempt) defined the Olympic Credo to me ~ i.e. it not being about winning, but having fought well ~ 'nuff said (oops, the same thing can be said about Elvis Stojko's landing of the 3A on his second attempt in his FS @ the 1994 Olympics). As Scott Hamilton said when Verne Lundquist asked him about it "you have to be great to put in a jump you missed the first time around later in the program, and Elvis is great." http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1083661341409_shaw.jpg ***Note: for me, as an Oksana Baiul Fan, I also say this applies to her spontaneously adding the 3T near the end of her 1994 Olympic FS, after having doubled it the first time around.***

Zanzibar & Ximena, holy smokes, you two have literally made me want to see this Andrei Griazev.......probably have seen him before........just never noticed. However, I do recall being amazed by a male skaters's "donut spin" @ 2004 Worlds - no lie - but I thought it was the guy from Switzerland??? :confused: Must get out my tapes.

BronzeisGolden, ITA w/ALL those that you have mentioned ~ thanks for posting! :)^)

I'd like to add to the list a couple more technical phenoms:

Surya Bonaly - never will forget her being able to land the 2A out of literally nowhere (5 seconds into her program - BOOM; reminiscent of Miki Ando's landing of her 3Z/3R on the 15 second mark; right out of the gate they both came out swinging)! :eek: Most notably, for Surya, at the 1994 Olympics (looooooooved that program btw; aka "Vivaldi's Four Seasons") & 2001 World Pros. - my all-time favorite routine by Surya (aka "African Drums; reminded me of the soundtrack to The Color Purple where Whoopi Goldberg's two kids are in Africa and are being initiated into the tribe). ***Note: too bad about Surya's quad never having been ratified b/c of it being 1/4 short of rotation; shades of Joe Sabovech (sp).***

Abitbol & Bernadis - heck, I'm breaking my own rule (rules were made to be broken btw ;) ) by adding pairs - another favorite discipline of mine (no lie). Their gutsiness at the 1998 Olympics still remains my all-time favorite pairs routine.........skating to "Chariots of Fire" (such appropriate music btw; will never forget them taking their starting position & my reaction - chills running up & down my spine, holding my breath, eyes growing watery from not wanting to blink).........they began the evening by opening with a magnificent split-triple-twist (by far the BIGGEST/HIGHEST of the competition; bar none), followed up by 3T-step-2T, and then the moment of truth arrived with the arrival of the throw-3A (preceded by the commentator saying in a hushed/awed tone ~ they'll now attempt to make history by landing the first ever throw-3A in pairs skating). And did they ever give it their best shot - Sarah actually landed it but immediately stepped out afterwards, but what a moment!!! :eek:

***Note: Shen & Zhao remind me of these two, especially when Shen landed the throw-quad @ the 2002 Olympics in the FS, with a step out & fall afterwards.***

Lastly, not to forget one of my all-time favorites (aka Sarah Hughes) - her 2002 Olympic FS will live on in history (& in memory) long after the cheers have passed & one finds oneself old & aged......just dust off that old tape from that era......and voila, one is young again, and the year is 2002! It remains, for me, the greatest FS in the history of the Olympics (bar none; no lie).

Peace & Love, Nadine

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1082497996940_phoenix_rising.jpg

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Miki Ando is truly going to be a major threat I believe. I hadn't seen her before 04 Worlds and didn't really listen to all the talk about the 3lz/3l. I figured it probably looked something like Irina's from the 00 GPF...clean, but messy and with no flow. I was utterly shocked when I saw Ando execute that stupendous 3lz/3l combination...it is one of the finest 3/3s I have ever seen. If she can improve her presentation skills and bring that 3lz/3l with her to Italy she'll be in an excellent position. But, I guess we should see if she can remain consistent during the 2004-2005 season. I hope she does. She is one technical skater that I am very excited about.

floskate

On the Ice
Bronzeisgolden: ITA about Miki. I thinks she has done really well to hang onto her 3z/3l combo because she has done some major growing over the past 2 seasons. I just don't get why people dismiss her as a jumbing bean when clearly she has an adult body!! I also think that this is the reason her quad has gone AWOL this season. She last landed it at Japanese Nationals in December although IIRC someone posted that she did land some in practise at Dortmund. It remains to be seen if she can do this move consistently. If not I see a 3f/3l on the horizon!!

What's also great about both Miki and Shizuka is that both have disproved the theory that you have to be a prepubescent little girl to do the hard tricks! Midori's "children" sure are making their "Mom" proud!!!!!!

PML at the Midori gush express - can I be the driver?;)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
For pure technique, I nominate Nancy Kerrigan. She was known as the world's greates technical (short) program skater. Her triple lutz was the best in the business, and her solo triple out of backward shoot the duck was precise and rarely seen since then. While she had her flaws with nervousness in the long and some don't like her style, as a technical skater she was "first rate." :)

icenut84

Final Flight
Nadine said:
Abitbol & Bernadis - heck, I'm breaking my own rule (rules were made to be broken btw ;) ) by adding pairs - another favorite discipline of mine (no lie). Their gutsiness at the 1998 Olympics still remains my all-time favorite pairs routine.........skating to "Chariots of Fire" (such appropriate music btw; will never forget them taking their starting position & my reaction - chills running up & down my spine, holding my breath, eyes growing watery from not wanting to blink).........they began the evening by opening with a magnificent split-triple-twist (by far the BIGGEST/HIGHEST of the competition; bar none), followed up by 3T-step-2T, and then the moment of truth arrived with the arrival of the throw-3A (preceded by the commentator saying in a hushed/awed tone ~ they'll now attempt to make history by landing the first ever throw-3A in pairs skating). And did they ever give it their best shot - Sarah actually landed it but immediately stepped out afterwards, but what a moment!!! :eek:

***Note: Shen & Zhao remind me of these two, especially when Shen landed the throw-quad @ the 2002 Olympics in the FS, with a step out & fall afterwards.***

ITA with those two. :) I loved A&B's Chariots of Fire LP in Nagano (they were one of my fave pairs teams). Their 3axel in Nagano and S&Z's quad in SLC were the biggest throws I've EVER seen. Even though neither could hold the landing, both Sarah and Xue did amazingly to just get that far. Those two throws really did fly - in both height and distance. Incredible. I wish both had been able to land them cleanly (I hope S&Z land the quad cleanly next season!). :love:

mzheng

Record Breaker
I agree Miki is the true deal leading into 2006 turing. Arakawa remains to be seen next season, if she can skate under pressure when she come in as a favorator.

How about Dick Button, the first skater to do a double Axel and the first to do a triple jump of any kind (triple toe)?

MM

Ximena

Final Flight
Nadine said:

Zanzibar & Ximena, holy smokes, you two have literally made me want to see this Andrei Griazev.......probably have seen him before........just never noticed. However, I do recall being amazed by a male skaters's "donut spin" @ 2004 Worlds - no lie - but I thought it was the guy from Switzerland??? :confused: Must get out my tapes.

Hmmm.... as far as I remember Lambiel (Switzerland) is a great spinner but he does not have a donut spin, if you watched an impressive donut spin at Worlds and it was not Plush, then probably was Griazev.
If you can watch Jr Worlds 2004, Griazev did a great job there, very good, and if I remember correctly he had a very good Euros FP and Worlds SP (is that or the other way around). The jump that impress me the most about him is his triple axel, it's unbeliavable.

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
ITA about Midori. I STILL :love: her. I just watched 89 worlds and that 3A, Still love to see it, and love her reaction after she landed, so happy!!

However, the 3A at the Olympics is one of the msot amazing jumps ever! She just pops it out, total running edge, beautiful! What makes it all the more better is that she'd already missed it, and it was at 3 minute mark!! Unbelievable!! She must have been so fit!

Few questions:

Did Midori ever land 3A after 1992?? And who else has landed it?? (APrt from Tonya)

floskate

On the Ice
She landed it both times she competed in World pro's, '95 Challenge of champions when she won and '96 Japanese Nationals when she returned to eligible competition that I know of. I've heard she did it in exhibitions in Japan too.
The last time I saw her attempt it was in Japan open in '01 at the age of 31. She fell out of the landing slightly but the commentators said she'd been landing them in practise. Amazing!!

Others to land triple axel:
Ludmilla Nelidina '02 Skate America.
Yukari Nakano '02 Skate America - cheated
Yoshie Onda, Mai Asada, ao Asada and Aki Sawada have all landed it but not sure any of them were clean. Usually 1/4 to 1/2 rotation short. But they'll get there.:D

vaskula

Spectator
With respect to all mentioned skaters above, I just love the jumps that have a real spring. Watch for Julya Sebestien from Hungary, among others. Unbelievable. great potential.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Love your posts, floskate (no lie), but needed to comment on this one in particular (please see below): :)

floskate said:
Bronzeisgolden: ITA about Miki. I thinks she has done really well to hang onto her 3z/3l combo because she has done some major growing over the past 2 seasons. I just don't get why people dismiss her as a jumbing bean when clearly she has an adult body!! I also think that this is the reason her quad has gone AWOL this season. She last landed it at Japanese Nationals in December although IIRC someone posted that she did land some in practise at Dortmund. It remains to be seen if she can do this move consistently. If not I see a 3f/3l on the horizon!!

ME: right on! It is quite obvious to the naked eye that Miki Ando has the body of a woman (not a jumping bean), especially noticeable @ 2004 Jr. Worlds, when she was standing on the podium next to Kimmie Meissner & Katy Taylor (both of whom obviously haven't even begun the maturation process yet). In fact, Miki grew exactly 5" during the 2001/2002 season alone, and another 1" this past season (per her ISU bio). Thus, it appears to me that she is about done growing, if she hasn't already done so. This is why I'm fairly confident in her ability to land her arsenal of nuclear bomb jumps (aka 3Z/3R, 3T/3T, 4S) in the future.......hopefully the 'danger period' has past........we shall see.

As regards Miki's 3Z/3R, I think it is fairly safe to say that it is consistent b/c I have stats that state she has landed it at the following competitions in the FS (not taking into account the numerous times she has landed it in the SP btw) - 2002 Jr. Worlds, 2002 Canada JGP, 2002 China JGP, 2002 Sr. Nationals, 2003 Mexico JGP, 2003 JGPF, 2003 Jr. Nationals, 2004 Jr. Worlds, 2004 Sr. Worlds, 2004 Marshall's Mini Competition! However, I would say that her 4S is "getting there" (certainly not AWOL), as she has landed it at the following competitions in the FS - 2002 JGPF, 2003 Jr. Worlds (1-foot landing with 3turns/hops afterward), 2003 Jr. Nationals, 2003 Sr. Nationals, 2004 Marshall's Mini Competition. ***Note: astoundingly, my stats state she is getting even better after each competition (no lie) ~ e.g. 2003 Jr. Nationals was the first time she landed BOTH the 3Z/3R & 4S together in the FS ~ however, she outdid that @ her most recent competition (aka 2004 Marshall's) where for the first time she landed ALL of them together (aka 4S, 3Z/3R, 3T/3T)!!! :eek: ***

What's also great about both Miki and Shizuka is that both have disproved the theory that you have to be a prepubescent little girl to do the hard tricks! Midori's "children" sure are making their "Mom" proud!!!!!!

ME: again, right on! :love: I'd also like to add Sarah Hughes, whom also had a mature adult body when she landed her 3/3s.

***Note: funny, all the time I think of Miki, that popular song from the 80's keeps playing over & over again in my head (no lie) - called "Miki" - and goes something like this oh Miki, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind, hey Miki! It was very popular when I was in h.s. - the cheerleaders even choreographed a number similar to the one in the video - remember it well b/c while this was going on during Assembly, I & my cronies snuck away (lol). ;)***

Some more worthy additions to the list are as follows:

Krizstina Czako (HUN) - hot diggity dang, could this woman ever JUMP! (8^O Will never forget her "Addams Family" FS @ Worlds. Wish she would've continued b/c I remember reading that she actually was able to land 3As in practice (no lie). However, it was my understanding that the pressure got to her, especially from her father (whom was also her coach; he actually competed w/Dick Button btw). Too bad, but the memories live on... :)^)

Yoshie Onda (JPN) - how can I ever forget Yoshie Bear! I've been so blinded by her countrywoman, Miki Ando, that I've overlooked the greatest jumper in Japan today (bar none). Now that's what you call a JUMP ~ nobody but nobody in Japan today attains the spring & height on the jumps like Yoshie does ~ truly a natural. :love:

***Note: btw, floskate, though Nakano & Nelidina became only the 3rd & 4th women (respectively) to officially land the 3A in competition, I give HUGE props to Yoshie's @ 2002 Bofrost Cup on Ice - best dang one since Midori & Tonya IMHO - she literally attained an unbelievable amt. of height & spring on it (though 1/2 short of rotation, but landed)! Whereas the Asada sisters are massively underrotated, as well as weak & puny (haven't seen Sawada's, thus can't comment, but would love to as she has the perfect build for jumps IMHO).***

Julia Sebestyen - vaskula, you are dead on! This woman ties w/Yoshie Onda as the best pure & natural jumper skating today (bar none). The spring & height they attain is, once again, unbelievable (reminiscent of Michael Jordan; no lie). Truly a thing of beauty...

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. In honor of these wonderful athletically gifted skaters, I quote from Christina Aguilera's song "FIGHTER":

"'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
Makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
It makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a F-I-G-H-T-E-R"

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1082157321085_jimmy6.gif

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, if you only think of jump as the Techincal skater then Yoshie Onda (JPN) is an eligible choice. But if you include the basics I wouldn't pick her. She has the worst stroking (only comparable with Elena Soklova) I've seen in elite ladies. I that case, I would put Miki ahead of her.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
While we are celebrating the technical skaters, I think we should remember Dick Button! Even though it was long ago, so that most of us do not remember his skating days, his achievements were amazing.

Dick Button won two Olympic Gold Medals. He did it by being the first to ever land a particular jump in each of them! Not the first in an Olympics. The first ever double axel in the 1948 Olympics. The first ever triple loop in the 1952 Olympics. What a huge accomplishment under the pressure of the Olympics, to not only skate your best, but to do something that has never been done before. In track, this would be like breaking the world record in two successive Olympics. Way to go Mr. Button!

He also originated the flying camel, I think.

Last edited:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Right on Doris, Mr. Button was doin' it way before today's phenoms; though I don't always agree with his commentary, I have to smile when he nitpicks jumps, as he was so instrumental in bringing us the difficulty level we have today, decades later. Hats off to him!

But now, I have to revert to gushing over Midori mode; the best spent hour of my life was spent downloading Midori's 1989 Worlds LP. I know you all admire the current crop of Japanese lady jumpers, and I'm sure they can impress me, but to have that spring, that height, that joy, and present complete programs and inject them with the infectious energy that landing her beautiful jumps obviously sparked in her...all I can say is, I doubt anyone will ever be as awe inspiring as Ms. Midori, partly because of the factor Doris mentioned, being the first ever to accomplish such a feat (3A! 3Z! 3F! 3L! 3S! 3T-3T! 2A! 2T!--Now THAT'S a 7 triple program---who needs quads when you've got Midori's triples?) has special significance, not to mention the MANNER in which she accomplished it, not barely clearing the ice but with hops Michael Jordan would envy (partly because HE didn't have to do them on ICE:laugh:)...I can't keep on gushing, because Midori's 89 LP calls; I have to go watching again...artistic skaters are beautiful to watch (though not everyone sees the beauty of each individual artist the same way, it's the more subjective part of the sport), but I give the edge on being simply awe-inspiring to someone like Midori, who could present a complete program with those indisputably spectacular jumps and equally wonderful joy, and take us to new heights symbolically represented by her high, amazing jumps!

and THANK YOU NADINE FOR THIS WONDERFUL THREAD--because of it, I downloaded Midori's LP, and boy am I glad I did!!:love:

Sarah