Irina Article In Russian | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Irina Article In Russian

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
In SLC there was no "artistic mark" it was a presentation mark. As far as i'm aware passion and energy were not criteria in the presentation mark. Things that Irina had as big plus points from the presntation mark were: speed, flow and ice coverage.

Ant
Speed was not the criteria in the presentation mark under 6.0. Speed was a consideration in the technical mark.

Changes in speed was the criteria in the pre mark. Not only is it more difficult to vary the speed, it allows the skater to interpret the music by matching speed to the musical dynamics. It also allowed the judges to compare the edgework, balance, and security at both fast and slow speeds, and to watch how the skaters transition between fast and slow skating.

Re: the arguments Slutskaya could have made: Kwan was slower, therefore her technical mark should have been lower than the max less required deductions, that not all of the judges deducted for Kwan's flaw on the 3F, and that she was underrated on pre scores. (It would be hard to argue that Kwan's pre scores were overrated, when every judge, including the Russian judge, gave Kwan a 5.9.)

Re: the flawed 3F: of the five judges that put Kwan in first, three of them deducted in full for the flaw: 5.7 (Blangsted)/5.5 (Pizzocari)/5.6 (Inman); the latter two deducted more. The other two judges (Krick and Hrachovcova) gave her 5.8 and 5.9, which did not include the mandatory deduction on the 3F.

Three of the five judges that put Kwan in first (Krick, Pizzocari, and Inman) did so by two tenth margins, and two of them had already given Kwan more than just the flip deduction. Krick could have given Kwan the full .3 deduction on the 3F (5.7 vs. 5.8) and Kwan still would have won that ordinal. It's Hrachovcova's ordinal that could have swung the contest: she gave Kwan 5.9/5.9 vs. 5.8/5.9 for Slutskaya. She didn't have much choice if she thought that Kwan was better than Slutskaya, since Slutskaya skated first. But she didn't deduct for both of Slutskaya's main flaws either (break between steps and jump and travel on spin.) i think may have she boxed herself in and was trying to rank skaters both in tech and pre. She could have given Kwan 5.8/6.0 instead of 5.9/5.9, but that would have broken the 6.0 barrier. (All of the top contenders had already skated before Kwan: Cohen, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Hughes, Suguri, bu there still would have been room for a superior skate, as unlikely as it was to be rewarded.)

Re: the pre scores. Even if passion were a criteria -- and it wasn't, the criteria was for interpretation -- I wouldn't call her rendition to a muzak version of Schubert's Serenade passionate. (She tried for passion in her Tosca free skate, but I don't think it suited her. Her 2005 and 2006 free skates had more fire, less melodrama, although I don't think she pulled off Flamenco style (but then, neither do most ice dancers, and they're paid to do that.)

Of the judges who gave Kwan first place ordinals, two gave Slutskaya second place ordinals. Hrachovcova gave them both 5.9's for pre, and Blangsted gave Kwan 5.9 and Slutskaya 5.8 after taking the deductions from both and tying them technically. Of the three judges that put Kwan in first, Cohen in second, and Slutskaya in third, Krick score pre as Kwan 5.9, Cohen 5.8, and Slutskaya 5.7; Pizzocari scored it Kwan 5.9, Cohen 5.7, and Slutskaya 5.6, and Inman scored Kwan 5.9, Cohen 5.8, and Slutskaya 5.6.

Of the four judges who gave Slutskaya first place ordinals, three gave her 5.8 and tied the two in total, with the technical score serving as the tie-break, and the fourth, Deborah Islam, gave her a 5.9, and a .1 higher tech score.

Looking at the 6.0 system, it's impossible to know for sure whether the judges were stack ranking each ordinal and adding them together, or whether they were creating combinations that resulted in the overall ordinal. For example, did Inman think that Cohen was two degrees (tenths) of pre score over Slutskaya, and that Kwan was three degrees over IS? Or did he give Slutskaya 5.6 in pre, so that the total score for Cohen was higher? (If he had given Slutskaya 5.7 in pre, IS and SC would have been tied, and the tech score would have been the tiebreaker.) Did Hrachovcova really think that Kwan was technically superior than Slutskaya, or did she box herself in earlier and ignore the mandatory deductions (or miss the flip landing)?

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Triple flip flaw?

Sorry i'm having trouble remembering and i thought Kwan went clean in the SLC SP - what was the flaw requiring a mandaotry deduction on the flip?

Ant

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

FrenchLady said:
you agree that we can make some links between passion and energy and, for example, amplitude of movement, expression of the character of the music, easyness and sureness? And those aspects WERE judged, and still are in the

What I mean by passion is responsiveness to the music... Energetic and vibrant responsiveness to the music creates for a lively program that's pleasant to watch and that also gets high marks for presentation. That said, I hardly remember Kwan's and Slutskaya's programs for Salt Lake City.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Sorry i'm having trouble remembering and i thought Kwan went clean in the SLC SP - what was the flaw requiring a mandaotry deduction on the flip?

Ant
I have to go back and look at the DVDs, but I think she double-footed it.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
I have to go back and look at the DVDs, but I think she double-footed it.

was it double footed or was it really really close to loss of edge? I don't have the dvd but I seem to remember that she almost loss that edge or whould that result in the double foot landing? I'm too old to remember...:laugh:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The commercial disks I have didn't show much of the short programs, and my VCR is packed away. The narrator did say after Kwan's skate that it wasn't perfect, but didn't give any details.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Isn't a two footed jump the kind of thing that gets specified, rather than a generic "it wasn't perfect"?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Isn't a two footed jump the kind of thing that gets specified, rather than a generic "it wasn't perfect"?
Not if there's a one-sentence summary of her short program performance after about 15 seconds worth of video, which did not include her 3F.

I believe the mistake was clearly called out by Underhill and Martini on CBC, but I can't play the tapes with my VCR in storage.

What I remember were the message board discussions about how whatever she did required a specific deduction, which IIRC was .3. Since 6.0 was much harsher (officially) on double-footed landings -- for example, a jump was not ratified if the landing was two-footed; under CoP, Michael Weiss' quad lutz would have been ratified as long as all four rotations were completed -- it's the likeliest suspect. But whatever it was, it required a mandatory deduction, if the judges saw it.

The boards were also how I found out that Cohen did not complete the circle on her footwork.

mzheng

Record Breaker
My daughter was just watching it yesterday. She said it was said sliped toe at her flip. Diddn't see two foot landing.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
Not if there's a one-sentence summary of her short program performance after about 15 seconds worth of video, which did not include her 3F.

Since we aren't getting the same coverage, let me re-phrase. If there is a fall, for example, the one sentence summaries that I see usually specifies it. On your coverage, do these one sentence summaries include two-foots?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Since we aren't getting the same coverage, let me re-phrase. If there is a fall, for example, the one sentence summaries that I see usually specifies it. On your coverage, do these one sentence summaries include two-foots?
No. They were mostly fluff to set up the free skates, which were shown in their entirety for Hughes, Cohen, Kwan, and Slutskaya.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
seanibu said:
...but wasn't this a thread about Irina's article?
Yes, in which she complained about being robbed in SLC. The discussion then went on to talk about why she might have felt that way, based on the SP results, which includes whether or not Kwan should have received lower scores and why.

Unless Kwan touched down with her free leg skate, I can't see from that video what was wrong with it.

alicelouise

Rinkside
Irina Article

This is coming from a person who is not a fan of IS. This struck me as an "ambush" interview. I just wonder if her frustration was more at the reporter. He/she seemed like a real jerk. Sasha and Michelle's publicists(if they have them) wouldn't have let them near this person.

I can read some Russian. The reporter referred to Irina's 800 ruble cocktail. It was written in such a snide manner. Is the Russian press so down on her because she didn't complete the sweep of Gold medals?

If Russian athletes have to do this, it's understandable if they have a chip on their shoulder.

I could help but compare the article/spread of Michelle Kwan in Style magazine. If the writer had brought up 2005 Worlds or the 2002 Olympics who know what would have happened.:laugh: