Is kanako a podium threat at Sochi | Golden Skate

Is kanako a podium threat at Sochi

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I watched her LP at 4CC which many of you know results there. Is she a dark horse or a contender? Does she have the goods to compete with the big three?

Franklin99

Medalist
I watched her LP at 4CC which many of you know results there. Is she a dark horse or a contender? Does she have the goods to compete with the big three?

I like Kanako and her skating, but I hate the way she throws out her leg before going into a jump. Is that normal...because it threw off the beauty of an otherwise perfect performance at 4CC.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Who are the big three? ;)

Even though Kanako's scores improved a bit (in the LP) at 4CC, the judges just don't favour her, look at her nearly clean performances at Worlds and where it landed her in the end. Kanako can get on the podium, of course she can. But she is dependant on other ladies making mistakes. And she is only Japan Number 3. So we will have to see Mao and Akiko implode for her to rise out of their ashes.

Icey

Record Breaker
I like Kanako and her skating, but I hate the way she throws out her leg before going into a jump. Is that normal...because it threw off the beauty of an otherwise perfect performance at 4CC.

That is similar to the mule kick Zhang got criticized so much for. Strangely, I never had noticed Kanako's until Tara pointed it out.

Back in the day there was a battle between Sasha pro's and anti's as to which group could edit Wikipedia the faster. In Wiki's discussion of Flip and Lutz jumps they mention "hammertoe" (swinging the leg up high and jamming the toe into the ice) as an example of a common technical flaw. Then someone edited it to add, example: Sasha Cohen. Then someone else erased that and put, example: Caroline Zhang (she was a junior at the time). So it went around and around for a little while. :laugh:

This seems to be a bad habit that some very petite girls acquire early because it is the only way they can get up in the air to do the rotations. Then later on they have to do some relearning.

Franklin99

Medalist
This seems to be a bad habit that some very petite girls acquire early because it is the only way they can get up in the air to do the rotations. Then later on they have to do some relearning.

That explains Zhang and Kanako as a junior. But she is not petite anymore, and she has great speed heading into her jumps to do that awful mule kick.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
MaiKatze said:
Who are the big three?

Maybe that expression adjusted itself quickly and now it's Yuna, Mao and Julia. That's at least the 3 woman most likely to medal :)

Ven

Match Penalty
According to one sports book for odds betting, the big three are now Yuna, Adelina, and Mao.

In that order.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, the big three after last season were Yuna, Mao and Caro. But since Caro hast lost a lot of ground this season, she lost that 'title' a little, and isn't one of the front runners for the medals anymore. That's why I said maybe Julia belongs to the 'big 3' now.

The bets saying Adelina has the 2nd highest odds are scaring me a little :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to one sports book for odds betting, the big three are now Yuna, Adelina, and Mao.

In that order.

This is possible but VERY unlikely IMO. Both Adelina and Mao skating clean seems very doubtful. I would be curious as to what the odds of that alone happening were. Taking that into account you'd have Julia,Caro,Gracie, Suziki all lined up waiting to pounce on a medal.

My prediction for Kanako is a 5th-7th after SP and then dropping a spot or two after the FS. Sorry no podium but still fun to watch her. Seeing the mule kick getting discussed always makes me laugh, thanks guys.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hammer toe is not a little girl phenomenon, it's plain old bad technique. Swinging the picking leg that high doesn't vault you in the air better, it wastes energy. Some coaches just don't fix it

Icey

Record Breaker
Yes, hammer toe makes the jump easier to rotate, but height and some control are lost in doing that. I was surprised at what Tara said about it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought she said something to the effect that it was not a bad thing, just part of the skater's technique.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
There is another thread about Kanako being a podium contender I think... :think: