Is Rachael Flatt the (emotional) underdog? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is Rachael Flatt the (emotional) underdog?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Posture is worked on and achieved, or in Flatt's case, completely neglected. That's why it's a quality that's supposed to be a part of the PCS. Wrinkles, on the other hand, are not germane to skating scores nor to an athlete's achievement. Flatt herself is going to get wrinkly before long. Her posture, however, is unlikely to ever improve.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I think the announcers are not helping Rachael's popularity when they carry on about her AP Exam and Ivy League Applications. People are looking especially hard to find fault with her, because she's presented as being just so darn perfect. It's like

Scott: She'll get credit for that triple triple combination, but she'll lose execution points on the second landing, because it wasn't perfect.

Vern: True, but she has never lost a point on a single test at Cheyenne Mountain High School. She gets 100 on all of them. In fact, she's gotten 100 on every test since kindergarten.

Tracy: Yes, and they are not regular tests in regular classes. They are advanced classes for geniuses.

Scott: I know. Wow! She got 120 points for her long program!

Vern: Huh! Only 70 points lower than her IQ.
So she will go to the Olympics, along with the ice dancers from the U of Michigan.

Tracy: Of course, Rachael would never set foot in the U of Michigan. You don't get a 2400 in the SAT and go to a state school!

Scott: Look, she's adding up her scores on a scientific calculator. I wonder if that's the calculator she will use to take her BC Calculus exam.

Vern: Bite your tongue! The BC Calculus test is the easier AP Calculus exam! She's taking the AB Calculus exam.

Scott::bow:

I'm using some hyperboles, of course, (and I wouldn't expect the skating announcers to know all the variations of standardized math tests):) but I do think they should tone it down a bit. At least mention her brilliance during only the short or long programs, not both!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the announcers are not helping Rachael's popularity when they carry on about her AP Exam and Ivy League Applications. People are looking especially hard to find fault with her, because she's presented as being just so darn perfect. It's like

Scott: She'll get credit for that triple triple combination, but she'll lose execution points on the second landing, because it wasn't perfect.

Vern: True, but she has never lost a point on a single test at Cheyenne Mountain High School. She gets 100 on all of them. In fact, she's gotten 100 on every test since kindergarten.

Tracy: Yes, and they are not regular tests in regular classes. They are advanced classes for geniuses.

Scott: I know. Wow! She got 120 points for her long program!

Vern: Huh! Only 70 points lower than her IQ.
So she will go to the Olympics, along with the ice dancers from the U of Michigan.

Tracy: Of course, Rachael would never set foot in the U of Michigan. You don't get a 2400 in the SAT and go to a state school!

Scott: Look, she's adding up her scores on a scientific calculator. I wonder if that's the calculator she will use to take her BC Calculus exam.

Vern: Bite your tongue! The BC Calculus test is the easier AP Calculus exam! She's taking the AB Calculus exam.

Scott::bow:

I'm using some hyperboles, of course, (and I wouldn't expect the skating announcers to know all the variations of standardized math tests):) but I do think they should tone it down a bit. At least mention her brilliance during only the short or long programs, not both!

LOL :rofl: I nearly laughed to tears reading that! I can't stop laughing!

ETA: Isn't the University of Michigan known as a "public ivy?" Or was that just because it's so darn expensive?

janetfan

Match Penalty
FlattFan rage in 3, 2, 1...

Yet another math reference ;)

To be honest I haven't felt there is too much commentary about Rachael's scholastic achievemnets or aspirations.
I say good for her. :clap:

But I did find poodlepals post hilarious :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is nothing arrogant about Rachael Flatt. That perception is in the minds of those who do not like her skating style.

I think there is also a certain amount of envy that she is so intelligent.

BTW, the Hugheses got MUCH more media coverage of their intelligence and Ivy League aspirations. I recall that Sarah Hughes stated that her goal was to get a perfect score on her SATs. And Emily once proclaimed in an ABC fluff interview that she was not like other skaters, because she combined skating with education (as if all other skaters were dummies)---and this is when she was still in high school. Talk about arrogance!

Layfan

Record Breaker
There is nothing arrogant about Rachael Flatt. That perception is in the minds of those who do not like her skating style.

BTW, the Hugheses got MUCH more media coverage of their intelligence and Ivy League aspirations. I recall that Sarah Hughes stated that her goal was to get a perfect score on her SATs. And Emily once proclaimed in an ABC fluff interview that she was not like other skaters, because she combined skating with education (as if all other skaters were dummies)---and this is when she was still in high school. Talk about arrogance!

Wow. Arrogant is the last thing that comes to mind when I think of Rachael. It never occurred to me that she might be arrogant and it's not a side of her I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
ITA. No need to bring Sasha Cohen into this! She's not on the Olympic team and Rachael is, so who cares.

While I don't agree with the commentary about Rachael and her skating, I do think there are valid points made here, which is why I started this thread in the first place. I think if this thread showed anything, there's plenty of people who like Rachael and there's no need to be defensive.

Yes, I agree and some of the people who are Rachael's biggest defenders are doing the best job of coming up with supposed insults for her than those who criticize her lines have. It never occurred to me that Rachael might be fat or arrogant. But I'm sure she'd be so grateful to her fans who have brought those adjectives into this discussion.

yunasashafan

On the Ice

I had not heard those quotes before, so yes, I agree with you here.

Again, what I am saying is that some people may perceive the media talk about her in a way that makes her look arrogant, not that I agree with that!

aftertherain

Record Breaker

You're right. There's nothing arrogant about Rachael Flatt, but she can come off as a little arrogant and it's not her fault. The constant talk about AP classes is, quite frankly, beginning to annoy the heck outta me. Before you tell me that I'm just a bitter and jealous person, I went to a competitive high school where taking a bunch of AP classes was expected of the students, so I totally get it.

Anyway, as I was saying, it's not her fault since figure skating commentators and reporters keep bringing it up. We get it. She's an amazing person who can balance two different ambitions at once, but at the same time, it's like they say that kind of stuff in case she ever fails. Then they can go, "Oh. It's okay. She's probably stressed. Poor girl. She just needs a break." But if she doesn't, they can go, "Oh wow. Look at this extraordinary girl we have. She's the future of figure skating. Let's keep promoting her!"

Idk. Just my two cents. Please don't bite my head off for it.

cornell08

Final Flight
I will come right out and say that I totally envy her grades and wouldve killed to have em at Cornell. Instead, I was more like Andy Bernard from the Office. ;) Only no acapellas.

I'm surprised people would think Rachael is arrogant. She seems like one of the most down to earth ladies skaters out there right now. If anyone's arrogant, its Tom Z. and his "my athletes will take down your athletes no probs" smack talk from the summer lol.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I will come right out and say that I totally envy her grades and wouldve killed to have em at Cornell. Instead, I was more like Andy Bernard from the Office. ;) Only no acapellas.

I'm surprised people would think Rachael is arrogant. She seems like one of the most down to earth ladies skaters out there right now. If anyone's arrogant, its Tom Z. and his "my athletes will take down your athletes no probs" smack talk from the summer lol.

snicker.

Well, I guess reading the last couple of posts there are some people who think Rachael comes across as arrogant after all. I dunno, that thought had never entered my brain.

cornell08

Final Flight
snicker.

Well, I guess reading the last couple of posts there are some people who think Rachael comes across as arrogant after all. I dunno, that thought had never entered my brain.

lol I am actually completely serious. My grades were blegh. Also, I feel like dogs are a good reflection of whether people are uppity or not. I love her sheepdogs.....sheepdogs = not arrogant :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
lol I am actually completely serious. My grades were blegh. Also, I feel like dogs are a good reflection of whether people are uppity or not. I love her sheepdogs.....sheepdogs = not arrogant :)

Hmm. I'm a cat person. I must be off the radar uppity. :biggrin: