ISU bans Russia and Belarus from competitions | Page 18 | Golden Skate

ISU bans Russia and Belarus from competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Very beautiful and idealistic! One must though remember that it was the Russian people who have given this man the power by voting him and so during lots of years he gradually became a dictator. In the same way as a certain other man in Germany in early 1930ies...

In my opinion the Russian athletes should have been banned already after the Russian forces attacked and conquered Crimea from Ukraine.

It may be the Paralympics, but the principle is the same - the hand had to be forced. Russians were thrown out before the start of the games tomorrow due to the real threat of a boycott by the athletes. If anything, I see all of this as a catalyst for cleaning house in sports when a closer view is taken to see who has ownership and influence. It could get pretty ugly when people start turning over the rocks to see what lies beneath. Follow the money.

yyzskater

On the Ice
There has also been pressure on FIFA to extend the transfer window for players to go to other teams. I wonder if ISU has contemplated adjusting their requirements for skaters switching countries to accommodate the current situation.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
A deliberate choice that he made for Olympics, and look how it turned out:party2:. I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that he decided to omit the quad attempt and just lay down those athletically intricate programs, filled with difficult elements, that are Sinnerman and Schindler's List. And that in particular I will be able to watch that version of SL again and again and again.

That he was scored ahead of so many skaters who landed quads is just icing on the cake. ;)
#TeamJasonForEVAH :points:

And now I should probably bow out of this conversation...

YagsFan

On the Ice
Worlds will be a great competition because it will have great skaters from all around the world. Will it have Russians or Belorussians? No, and that is a shame for those skaters and their fans. It is the correct decision, but one that without a doubt hurts those skaters. But it doesn’t detract from Worlds.

It also will evidently be missing Jason Brown, which from a strictly personal skating perspective for me, means it is missing one of the world’s best men’s skaters. The sixth best, as a matter of fact. :) That doesn’t make it any less Worlds and does not detract from the competition.

As skating is such an individual enterprise, I have never really understood national pride in figure skating or loving all skaters from a certain country. :scratch2: I certainly don’t love all American skaters just because they are American. I adore Donovan Carrillo and I have no personal ties to México or Latin America; I just love Donovan.

Worlds will be fine as is. Now if I could only trust Peacock to have replays🤞
Agreed, and especially about Jason, of whom I've been a BIG fan since 2015:)! But also agree with what you say about appreciating skaters for their skating, not (just) their country. Yes, I do feel a certain amount of pride when US skaters do well, maybe just because you tend to be more familiar with them due to more coverage . . ... but, some of my all-time favs have been non-American. Re: Yagudin, Kulik, Papadokolis/Ciseron, Sui/Han, Shen/Zhou, Medvedeva,, etc., etc. (Sorry for the misspellings; I may love Russian and French skaters, doesn't mean I can spell their languages, lol!)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Meanwhile, Russian men who have to do everything they can, and train really hard to jump quads to be selected for international competitions, spent most of the Olympics under a cloud, underperformed, and will not be in the world championship. They will not receive Grand Prix assignments. Some of the junior Russian men will age out of juniors without participating even in JGP, because first there was Covid, now it is war. I doubt Russian men of skating age can leave Russia, because of the military draft.

It feels rather cruel in this particular thread say that it’s totally awesome because other skaters have long and fruitful career and has tons of success, particulary when you don’t even mention a single Russian or Belorussian skater with anything but critique. Can’t you, guys, do it in a world’s chat thread?

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
👍 This is why I sometimes get really annoyed about quads. With or without quads, Jason is a wonderful skater and deserves far more recognition than he gets, especially for his artistry. And his split jumps...! :love:

Worlds will be fine. I just think it would be better with Jason in it.

I'm glad he showed his stuff at the Olympics but I think he's had his moment to shine this season, and giving Malinin the opportunity to slay at Worlds is the right thing to do. (And of course Vincent deserves a shot at a major individual medal this season after Covid took him out of the individual event of the Olympics).

And yes, those split jumps! As I said, I rewatch Riverdance at 2014 Nationals all the time, and I'm particularly envious of those lucky spectators sitting at the side boards who got an up-close-and-personal view of Jason's boots/blades when he did that magnificent Russian split jump right on the music. :love2:

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Russia is appealing the FIFA and UEFA decision to not allow their teams to play in upcoming international competitions. I wonder if they will do the same with the ISU?
Interesting, how Russia has no compunctions about pursuing legitimate official legal channels while concomitantly breaking the terms of the Budapest Memorandum and commiting war crimes. Heinous hypocrisy at its best!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There has also been pressure on FIFA to extend the transfer window for players to go to other teams. I wonder if ISU has contemplated adjusting their requirements for skaters switching countries to accommodate the current situation.
That’s what I keep hoping for.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm glad he showed his stuff at the Olympics but I think he's had his moment to shine this season, and giving Malinin the opportunity to slay at Worlds is the right thing to do. (And of course Vincent deserves a shot at a major individual medal this season after Covid took him out of the individual event of the Olympics).

And yes, those split jumps! As I said, I rewatch Riverdance at 2014 Nationals all the time, and I'm particularly envious of those lucky spectators sitting at the side boards who got an up-close-and-personal view of Jason's boots/blades when he did that magnificent Russian split jump right on the music. :love2:
Perhaps, the best place for discussing Brown is US Men Thread or the World’s entries discussion if you want to talk about multiple World entrants. Brown also has a fan fest. There is, perhaps, no need to turn every thread into a discussion of Brown, Brown and Brown.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I would be fine with this if the skaters also publicly condemn the war. This would show that they are no longer being used as state funded propaganda tools.
Imo, righteousness is quiet, self-righteousness is loud. Unfortunately, i suspect, men simply wouldn’t be able to do that, b/c of the military draft. It’s up to parents to act in their kids’ interests, basically grab them and go, before the sky falls.

Myr

Rinkside

I'm not sure, Rusfed had just proposed to make it more difficult to transfer countries...

Do we have any idea what will happen with the congress now given that Russian officials have been banned? They can't postpone it another time, can they? There are so many decisions that need to be made....

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm not sure, Rusfed had just proposed to make it more difficult to transfer countries...

Do we have any idea what will happen with the congress now given that Russian officials have been banned? They can't postpone it another time, can they? There are so many decisions that need to be made....
Well, if they ban Russian skaters, then push through anti-skaters’ agenda sponsored by the RusFed… 🤷‍♀️

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sorry, wrong quote. I think they meant they want the skaters to do condemnation after they immigrate.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
The dangers of publicly speaking out against the war and Putin is real. Ask the 7000+ detainer Russians who protested...
I agree. in fact, my suggestion was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. So, the only logical alternative is to not let skaters be tools of Kremlin propaganda.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I agree. in fact, my suggestion was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. So, the only logical alternative is to not let skaters be tools of Kremlin propaganda.
Well, that will destroy the one remaining good thing, the access to sports Russian kids have. Part of the reason there are so many skaters in Russia is that there is a good access to start, at least at first. It’s not true, however, that parents don’t pay, plenty of them do. Like I said, I’d rather Canada didn’t close sports schools due to the lack of funding either…

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Well, that will destroy the one remaining good thing, the access to sports Russian kids have. Part of the reason there are so many skaters in Russia is that there is a good access to start, at least at first. It’s not true, however, that parents don’t pay, plenty of them do. Like I said, I’d rather Canada didn’t close sports schools due to the lack of funding either…

yyzskater

On the Ice
Are they closing sports schools in Canada? There aren't that many of them around already...

Status
Not open for further replies.