ISU makes decision on 2015-16 GPF selection | Page 11 | Golden Skate

ISU makes decision on 2015-16 GPF selection

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess I disagree that the distinction you're making is at all relevant. A skater who withdraws may in fact not have had any other reasonable option. For example, if you withdraw a week in advance from NHK due to injury even though one of your stated goals was to make the GPF (eg, Jason), your choice may have been between withdrawing and risking season or career ending injury.

As to Misha, it doesn't sound like he had another option but to withdraw - he couldn't control when or whether he would be issued a visa. In both his case and Jason's, the fact that their decisions were made sooner rather than later may have been due to the magnitude of the problem / injury they were facing and perhaps their desire to "do the right thing" by withdrawing early enough for someone else to benefit.

And then there is Kaitlyn Hawayek, who withdrew during or at the end of the FS warmup at COC. Not only is it hard to believe she made a "considered decision," the withdrawal also impacted her partner.

To Karne's point below, I don't really think the fact that the TEB skaters were already psyching themselves up, warmed up and ready to go makes it more or less unfair - it simply means that the skaters had less time to process their disappointment, which in my mind is another thing entirely. To put it another way, I don't think the fact that Josh withdrew early from the entire GP series due to his concussion made it any less disappointing to him. And in truth, when people talk about unfairness, at bottom, it seems to come down to disappointment.

Well, it also impacts Liza, this year's world champion, who finished 2d at Skate Canada. Also, if I recall correctly, Patrick's finish at TEB didn't guarantee him a spot at the GPF; I'm pretty sure Jason could have knocked him out by taking silver. Unlikely, perhaps, but not impossible. Jason's total score at WTT was higher than Jin's at COC, without a quad. Had Kori decided to replace the 4T with a 2A and move the 3A to the first half with an easier entry, just for NHK, he might have taken silver, even quadless.

I think in general we admire all the skaters and wish them the best. Sadly in many ways there are only so many GPF spots and only so many medals. I agree with the posters that the real unfairness is what happened to the innocent lives in Paris and those who especially were close and loved them. I am not trying to be pious or pretend I am a saint but as much as it is "unfair", "disappointing", unjust, unreasonable what has happened to those affected by TEB and that includes other skaters not at the competition whose results were affected by those at TEB - especially as to qualifying for the GPF in perspective it isn't sucha big deal. In sports there have even greater, arguably injustices ie. Salt Lake City well I think both Russians and Canadians were victims really, years ago at the Olympics a judge made an innocent error and couldn't fix it in time in scoring a synchro swimmer and I am not even sure they ever rectified it as the score she was meant to receive would clearly have given her the gold medal, even rectifying the error isn't really the same (I remember I was in a debating competition and I came second or third to last and my coach was shocked when the results came in. It appears there was an error and I was missing one round of scores (1/4 of the completion) and I moved from near the bottom to the top but it was a week later when it all came too. Getting your award by mail didn't have the same joy lol). I do have empathy for those skaters who were affected by TEB but the real sad part is what happened to those people in Paris. As we head toward that time of season regardless of whether you celebrate Christmas it seems no matter what your faith is we are a little nicer, cheerier, kinder and try to think of others. I am a rather conservative person and a bit of cynic sadly. I feel for those right now injured and the many ways of looking at the TEB results. But I hope they the skaters and we can all try to be grateful and move on. Yes, it is sad for max, Jason and well everyone but put it into perspective. That being said I just got a bill for $2500 for fixing damage to my car because I avoided thankfully hitting a cat that ran in front of my car. Apparently had I run over the cat my insurance said I would have been better off. It is a lot of money but nothing compared to the loss of lives in Paris. Nothing. (And to cat lovers nothing too :).

tulosai

Record Breaker
That's kind of the point I was trying to make in comparing those who died in Paris to the TEB skaters. I do think it's important to put loss of a trip to the GPF - because that's really what this is all about - into perspective. Shani, I'm sorry if you feel my word choice was inappropriate. I think that what happened in Paris was far worse than unfair, but I think it's unfair to die just because you decided to eat out rather than staying home. And in that sense, I think my word choice - and the comparison - was appropriate.
As I've stated before other places, I think it's kind of a nonstarter that yes, obviously, the terrorist attack is a lot worse than someone not making the GPF. We all agree on that point, and so what? That doesn't and shouldn't mean that those of us who want to talk about what happened in the limited figure skating sphere should feel ashamed about doing so, or that we don't get what happened in Paris, or that we don't care. We get it, we care, but we want to talk about this too. I also don't think we should feel shamed about using words like unfair to describe what happened to some of the skaters- obviously there are different magnitudes of unfair. If I gave one of my kids one extra cookie, that might be unfair, but does that mean anything in the scheme of the world to anyone at all, probably even including the kids? Of course it doesn't, but that doesn't mean the word doesn't or can't apply or should only be saved for things like people dying from a terrorist attack.

Something else that's coming to annoy me is that people are acting like this (by which I mean getting killed by terrorists because you decided to go out to eat, not stay home) doesn't happen to innocent people nearly every day, even though it does, just not in cities as Western and famous as Paris. I'd bet money less than 1% of users on this board remembers this attack and that most didn't even hear about it, because it was in Kabul, Afganistan. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/18/two-britons-killed-kabul-restaurant-attack-taliban

I remember it only because I have a close friend who was working in a university there at the time, and she died in that restaurant. But it was in Afghanistan, and this happens all the time there, and no big deal because the western media doesn't care, and even when they do westerners generally don't. Now there are psychological and even practical reasons for this, and I'm not saying you're a bad person if you don't notice or care about these things- we can't notice and care about everything. But how people are acting like this thing that happened in Paris was such a rare travesty is starting to annoy me- it's rare that this would happen in a place like Paris, but is it rare to die because you left your house instead of staying in worldwide? Sadly it's not.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As I've stated before other places, I think it's kind of a nonstarter that yes, obviously, the terrorist attack is a lot worse than someone not making the GPF. We all agree on that point, and so what? That doesn't and shouldn't mean that those of us who want to talk about what happened in the limited figure skating sphere should feel ashamed about doing so, or that we don't get what happened in Paris, or that we don't care. We get it, we care, but we want to talk about this too. I also don't think we should feel shamed about using words like unfair to describe what happened to some of the skaters- obviously there are different magnitudes of unfair. If I gave one of my kids one extra cookie, that might be unfair, but does that mean anything in the scheme of the world to anyone at all, probably even including the kids? Of course it doesn't, but that doesn't mean the word doesn't or can't apply or should only be saved for things like people dying from a terrorist attack.

Something else that's coming to annoy me is that people are acting like this (by which I mean getting killed by terrorists because you decided to go out to eat, not stay home) doesn't happen to innocent people nearly every day, even though it does, just not in cities as Western and famous as Paris. I'd bet money less than 1% of users on this board remembers this attack and that most didn't even hear about it, because it was in Kabul, Afganistan. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/18/two-britons-killed-kabul-restaurant-attack-taliban

I remember it only because I have a close friend who was working in a university there at the time, and she died in that restaurant. But it was in Afghanistan, and this happens all the time there, and no big deal because the western media doesn't care, and even when they do westerners generally don't. Now there are psychological and even practical reasons for this, and I'm not saying you're a bad person if you don't notice or care about these things- we can't notice and care about everything. But how people are acting like this thing that happened in Paris was such a rare travesty is starting to annoy me- it's rare that this would happen in a place like Paris, but is it rare to die because you left your house instead of staying in worldwide? Sadly it's not.

I know some have issues here about the focus of this thread and ironically it is the challenge of the world. What is fair to the isu skaters competing on the GP circuit and those at TEB well depends on your point of view or bias. no matter what the isu did it will be seen by some as good or bad. There will be no consensus. I guess inherently any decision or approach to dealing with TEB is unfair to someone. At work you would think everyone would unanimously want a raise but there was one dissenter who wanted better maternity rights. Why? Because in her best interest it was to get better mat benefits because her objective was to have lots of children and that would equate to more money for her (better mat leave priviledges/pay). I wonder what happened to the prize money.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I know some have issues here about the focus of this thread and ironically it is the challenge of the world. What is fair to the isu skaters competing on the GP circuit and those at TEB well depends on your point of view or bias. no matter what the isu did it will be seen by some as good or bad. There will be no consensus. I guess inherently any decision or approach to dealing with TEB is unfair to someone. At work you would think everyone would unanimously want a raise but there was one dissenter who wanted better maternity rights. Why? Because in her best interest it was to get better mat benefits because her objective was to have lots of children and that would equate to more money for her (better mat leave priviledges/pay). I wonder what happened to the prize money.

The prize money was given out based on SP results.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And I simply don't think the fact that the TEB skaters were at the venue ready to skate makes a difference in terms of fairness, especially when you consider that the competition was canceled due to a terrorist attack, not on a whim. ...

Without getting into "fairness," I still disagree with your opinion that Misha was just as "ready" to compete at TEB as those who actually did compete their SPs/SDs.
(I trust that Misha was just as "willing," but b/c of his early withdrawal [for reasons beyond his control], he was not just as "ready.")

The details below were touching to me -- that after attending the announcement of the cancellation, Marissa rushed to find Angela ASAP to inform her, and that Angela recounted the mental preparation for the moment of competition:

The skaters headed back to the hotel, where Castelli's first thought was of her roommate, Wang.
"I wanted to find Angela right away because her event was first," Castelli said. "She came out of the elevator, competition ready. She was like, 'Are you serious?' All the girls were downstairs in their full hair and makeup."
"To be so mentally prepared to go compete your long program, and then you realize how intense the whole situation was," Wang said. "I didn't go on media or look at anything, so a lot of us didn't really understand what was happening."
Team USA gathered in the lobby to process what was happening and discuss how to get everyone home safely.
"We were all in shock, and confused and concerned -- so many emotions," Wang said. ...

Everyone agreed that it was the right decision to cancel the rest of the competition.
"It put everything in perspective," Wang said. "We were all talking about it: It's just skating. We were just so lucky to be alive and safe."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/11/19/157673964/the-inside-edge-recalling-eerie-day-at-bompard (Nov 19)

[Quote from Angela earlier in the same article: "Our team leader said that it seemed like they were going to continue with the competition as planned, so not to look at the news or go on social media." That is why she had not seen more about the Paris news.]​

... I do think it's important to put loss of a trip to the GPF - because that's really what this is all about - into perspective. ...

And I will repeat that I do not think any of us have lost perspective.

In fact, I would say that the experience of the TEB skaters is a good example of the far-reaching effects of terrorism. The massacre of innocent people is worse by far, of course.
But I do not think it is disrespectful or petty for us to recognize that the terrorists are guilty not only of mass killings but also of disrupting (to a lesser extent) many lives well outside of Paris.

And because of TEB, the randomness of who was killed in Paris really hits home for me. Next year TEB will be back at it usual venue in Paris, very close to the site of one of the attacks.

I would feel terrible about the Paris attacks anyway, but my awareness that they caused the cancellation of TEB underlines for me that it was a national tragedy for France, just as 9/11 was a national tragedy for the U.S. Both of which had far-reaching effects beyond national borders.

Thank you for your thoughts, tulosai. Sorry that you lost your friend. :(

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I disagree. It's not at all like Misha Ge's situation. Misha knew for quite some time that he would not be able to skate at TEB. I believe the withdrawal was announced in mid-September, and he likely saw the writing on the wall with the visa situation long before then. But the skaters who were actually AT TEB had actually shown up, practiced, drawn slots, warmed up, competed their shorts, gone to sleep, warmed up, and we know for a fact that many of the ladies were already in full competition makeup/dress and ready to skate by the time the decision was actually communicated to them - they were likely all psyching themselves up already. That is where the separation lies.

I understand, and I think where we do agree is that the SP is in no way, shape or form an entire competition, and basing the entire competition on an SP .... well, my feelings are known.:noshake: IMHO, one of the most "sporting" parts of skating is the LP, where we see if the leaders can handle the pressure or if a skater with a bad SP can come back and make the podium.

And if they don't find a way to get Max in the GPF, he got shafted. Is it the worst example of shafting ever, in this big unfair cruel world? No. But that doesn't mean he didn't get it....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Plus, Liza is already a world champion, whereas Max was the Little Engine that Could.

... But GPF is for the Big Engines That Can. Very accomplished skaters like Liza can feel more deprived of a rightful and a very realizable opportunity than an aspiring LETC that has not proven he can. Yes, yes, it's a lost opportunity that was unfairly terminated, but it was terminated to everybody else who needed it as well.

For the record, some stats for Max and Liza -- after five GPs:

Max, "the Little Engine That Could:"
#5 on the ISU Season's Best list for Total Score http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2015-16/sbtsmto.htm
#5 for SP Score http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2015-16/sbtsmsp.htm
#5 for FS Score http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2015-16/sbtsmfs.htm
Gold at Skate America
7th place TEB​

Tuktamysheva, "the Big Engine That Can:"

No doubt that last season Tukt was a Big Engine That Can.
Whether she has proven that it would be "rightful" for a GPF slot to belong to her this season is a separate question altogether.

I do wish that both skaters had been able to compete their free skates at TEB.

Last edited:
Anyway, Mad Max can get his revenge at Worlds.

Murakami...Jin…Kovtun….Uno...Fernandez…Chan…Hanyu… "Up that great big mountainside…♫♪"

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For the record, some stats for Max and Liza -- after five GPs:

Max, "the Little Engine That Could:"
#5 on the ISU Season's Best list for Total Score http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2015-16/sbtsmto.htm
#5 for SP Score http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2015-16/sbtsmsp.htm
#5 for FS Score http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2015-16/sbtsmfs.htm
Gold at Skate America
7th place TEB​

Tuktamysheva, "the Big Engine That Can:"

No doubt that last season Tukt was a Big Engine That Can.
Whether she has proven that it would be "rightful" for a GPF slot to belong to her this season is a separate question altogether.

I do wish that both skaters had been able to compete their free skates at TEB.

Kudos for bringing stats rather than just proclamations.

I was not just speaking for the big guns in my posts but voicing contrary but valid reasoning for those others who could complain about unfairness as well. Even for Liza, we may say her SC was like Max's TEB SP, in need of redemption and proving that she could. The cancellation of the event and the ISU decision about the consequences are equal opportunity depriver.

Max would not be regarded as classy if he had protested as much as his most ardent fans.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

You know, I'm kind of wondering if you've read any of my posts in the last few pages, because in no way have I criticized anyone here for holding a different viewpoint than I do or tried to make them feel guilty for what they were saying. In fact, I respectfully asked a question: if you believe that the situation experienced by the TEB skaters is more unfair than the situation experienced by an ill or injured skater or a skater with visa problems, tell me why. There have been a lot of thoughtful answers. It's clear that many people have very different perspectives on the situation than I do, and that's fine. I've tried to explain my own thoughts and feelings while still remaining respectful of theirs. Quite frankly, the conversation has been remarkably civil for people with opposing viewpoints. So I'm not sure why you felt it was necessary to jump in and proclaim that "those of us who want to talk about what happened in the limited figure skating sphere [shouldn't have to] feel ashamed about doing so." The fact that someone experiences things differently than you do isn't a reason to shut them up, regardless of whether you think their point of view is a "non-starter."

As to why the narrow focus on deaths in Paris in this and related threads: there's an obvious nexus between the terrorist acts that resulted in those particular deaths and the cancellation of TEB. That doesn't mean that I, for example, think those deaths are more important and worthy of attention than your friend's in Kabul or those elsewhere that I know nothing about. And as to the dangers of daily life in places like Afghanistan, you're obviously right, but there are also kids growing up on the west side of Chicago - not so far from me - whose circumstances are probably not much better than those in Kabul. The fact that many of us living in the west are more fortunate than others doesn't mean that all of us are.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kudos for bringing stats rather than just proclamations.

I was not just speaking for the big guns in my posts but voicing contrary but valid reasoning for those others who could complain about unfairness as well. Even for Liza, we may say her SC was like Max's TEB SP, in need of redemption and proving that she could. The cancellation of the event and the ISU decision about the consequences are equal opportunity depriver.

Max would not be regarded as classy if he had protested as much as his most ardent fans.

I have been quite careful not to protest the ISU decision itself ever since it was announced.
The ISU is the governing body. It made a choice. It's not my favorite choice. But I have never said that the ISU was wrong to make the choice that it did.

What I was/am protesting in my most recent post is your oh-so-"classy" :laugh: condescension that Max has a less "rightful" claim to the GPF this year than Tukt, and that she is more deprived by the ISU decision than he is.
I have never said that Max was the only skater affected by the cancellation of TEB.

I have not protested the ISU decision itself, but I have protested how some in this thread have characterized the decision.
Some have called it the only proper course of action, and I disagree. I have said that another approach would have been as fair -- but not more fair.
And I objected when the 7th slot for a skater from TEB was characterized as a charity slot.
I have stated my opinion that some skaters were luckier than others as a result of the decision. Prob. would be true of any decision. But I disagree with those who keep repeating their opinion that with the ISU decision announced, all the TEB skaters are equally unlucky. (I do not count Liza among the luckier skaters.)
And I have said that I am sad that Max's chances of the GPF now are virtually nil. Sadness is not the same thing as a protest.

Last edited:
Charity (n) 1. benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity

2. generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering

According to the ISU decision (SP counts for all), skaters in the position of Max and Liza did not earn their way into the finals. But the decision itself was bad luck for a few skaters, leaving them in a position to need a helping hand. The extra spot is an attempt by the ISU slightly to soften the sharpest consequences of their decision.

Malice toward none, charity for all.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Malice toward none, charity for all.

As I have said before, either all of the TEB skaters are "charity" cases -- or none of them are. You cannot have it both ways.

The ISU gave a helping hand to all TEB skaters by allowing the SP/SD results to be counted for GP rankings.

Some have made a reasonable argument that the TEB results should not have been counted for any skater.

I would prefer to think none of the skaters are charity cases, but what you said is, "Charity for all." From that point of view: Yes, charity was given to all TEB skaters. Not only those who wind up 7th in the rankings.

The ISU gave a helping hand to all TEB skaters by allowing the SP/SD results to be counted for GP rankings.

I don't think so. The "helping hand" was a plus for some TEB skaters and a minus for others, in terms of their aspirations to make the finals. If this were not the case, we would not be having this conversation. (And certainly no one would be sympathizing with Max Aaron -- he received the same "helping hand" that, say, Hubbell and Donahue did.)

To me, it was the augmentation of the basic decision by the provision of the extra spot where the ISU is showing its sympathy for those skaters for whom the "helping hand" turned out to be more a slap in the face.

In this case the "all" in "charuty for all" comprises all the skaters who found themselves disadvantaged by the ISU decision.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think so. The "helping hand" was a plus for some TEB skaters and a minus for others, in terms of their aspirations to make the finals. If this were not the case, we would not be having this conversation. (And certainly no one would be sympathizing with Max Aaron -- he received the same "helping hand" that, say, Hubbell and Donahue did.)

To me, it was the augmentation of the basic decision by the provision of the extra spot where the ISU is showing its sympathy for those skaters for whom the "helping hand" turned out to be more a slap in the face.

Mathman, let's stop going around in circles on this issue.
You do not accept my point of view. I do not accept your point of view.

Shoma and Gracie have qualified for the GPF on the basis of two SPs and one free skate -- whereas non-TEB skaters are qualifying on the basis of two SPs and two free skates.
Therefore Shoma and Gracie received a helping hand from the ISU, imo.
If a helping hand = charity, then Shoma and Gracie are the beneficiaries of the ISU's charity.

Agree to disagree.

[ETA: Coming back to reiterate that I would prefer not to say that any of the TEB skaters received "charity." But it's all or none. Not fair to say that only TEB skaters who rank 7th will receive charity.]

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was just looking at the GP Standings tables for a comment in another thread, and realised that I had mis-understood the directive.

I thought that the statement meant that if a TEB competitor was in any of the substitute positions, that they would be put through.

But, it seems like it only kicks in if a TEB competitor is in 7[SUP]th[/SUP] position.

So, that means Liza isn't through!!! :cry:

(The others that aren't through that I thought were are: Max Aaron in Men; Peng Cheng / Zhang Hao and Vanessa James / Morgan Cipres in Pairs; Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier and Alexandra Stepanova / Ivan Bukin in Dance)

That's what happens when you only read the directive itself and the first 2 pages of the old thread! :rolleye:

Why are these communications written in hard to interpret legalese?!

It's times like these that I am glad that we have you, Golden!!! At least you can understand them! :bow: ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...So, that means Liza isn't through!!! :cry:

(The others that aren't through that I thought were are: Max Aaron in Men; Peng Cheng / Zhang Hao and Vanessa James / Morgan Cipres in Pairs; Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier and Alexandra Stepanova / Ivan Bukin in Dance) ...

Sorry about Liza, CL_fan.
And I'm sorry about the others from who came close as well.

BTW, worth noting IMO that the GP standings PDFs now are marked "official" (with a date stamp of Nov 30).

The initial post-NHK updating reflected that the NHK skaters had received their ranking points, but the PDFs still were marked unofficial. (All of which is standard operating procedure, AFAIK.)

Just making note of the second post-NHK updating of the standings, which the ISU now has formally deemed official.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2015/gpsmen.pdf
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2015/gpsladies.pdf
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2015/gpspairs.pdf
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2015/gpsdance.pdf

(And thx for your compliment, CL_fan. I am motivated to wade through ISU language at some times more than others :yes:.)

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sorry about Liza, CL_fan.
And I'm sorry about the others from who came close as well.

BTW, worth noting IMO that the GP standings PDFs now are marked "official" (with a date stamp of Nov 30).

The initial post-NHK updating reflected that the NHK skaters had received their ranking points, but the PDFs still were marked unofficial. (All of which is standard operating procedure, AFAIK.)

Just making note of the second post-NHK updating of the standings, which the ISU now has formally deemed official.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2015/gpsmen.pdf
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2015/gpsladies.pdf
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2015/gpspairs.pdf
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2015/gpsdance.pdf

(And thx for your compliment, CL_fan. I am motivated to wade through ISU language at some times more than others :yes:.)

Does anyone else norticed the mistake? It's written "SUBSTITUTE FOR THE ISU JUNIOR GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING FINAL" :laugh2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone else norticed the mistake? It's written "SUBSTITUTE FOR THE ISU JUNIOR GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING FINAL" :laugh2:

Sackie in the other thread pointed out the ISU's unfortunate mistake.

ETA, update: The ISU has fixed the PDFs, which now show official subs for the GPF, not JGPF.​

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Interesting that there are only 2 substitutes in pairs. I am still not 100% clear- if S/B withdraw will they be replaced? If another couple withdraws will they? Or will 2 couples need to withdraw for there to be a replacement? Does this make sense?