ISU President to step down after 6 years | Golden Skate

ISU President to step down after 6 years

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not surprised. When he is introduced at ISU competitions, he looks completely and utterly bored.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Not surprised. When he is introduced at ISU competitions, he looks completely and utterly bored.
It depends on the competitions...I bet he doesn't look bored when it's speed skating competitions. Having said that, he didn't look bored at the Olympics Pairs competition in 2018 either.

beachmouse

On the Ice
President of the ISU is probably not a great role to have because both the figures and speed, especially short track, sides have the potential to cause great controversy the the president is supposed to somehow 'fix'. Meanwhile if you're like the Associate Vice President for development of technical and working groups for improvement of the sport or such, you effectively don't really have to do much beyond send a few e-mails and set up a few conference calls and you still get all the good perks like free trips including luxury hotels for all kinds of fun sporting events.

So I can understand his peers wanting him to stay another term because no one else really wants the job.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I wanna vote for Kim....I have list about 100 pages long of rule changes.....
Anyone caught cheating or doping is out for life. this includes puberty blockers.
Any judge that wants to represent a country must be born and raised there, live there, and never seek another passport.
The Tim Coleto rule. You want to skate for another country? YOu give up your passport for ever and you get a passport from the other country.
No spouses of national skating associations leaders may be judges. Duh.
the Ottavio Cinquanta rule. No president will stay in power 22 years and end up with 5 Riviera villas in an honorary position. No president will ban Kurt Browning from performing in opening cerimonies. "Cinquanta had previously been loudly booed by fans at the 1996 World Figure Skating Championships in Edmonton, Alberta, after he invoked a technicality to prevent local skating favorite Kurt Browning from skating in the opening ceremony of that event[5][6] and again at the 1998 Championships in Minneapolis, Minnesota.[7]" All votes for president will be made public. No president will try and reduce ice dancing to one dance only. Duh.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
President of the ISU is probably not a great role to have because both the figures and speed, especially short track, sides have the potential to cause great controversy the the president is supposed to somehow 'fix'. Meanwhile if you're like the Associate Vice President for development of technical and working groups for improvement of the sport or such, you effectively don't really have to do much beyond send a few e-mails and set up a few conference calls and you still get all the good perks like free trips including luxury hotels for all kinds of fun sporting events.

So I can understand his peers wanting him to stay another term because no one else really wants the job.
4everchan wants it. There is no reason to have speed skating and figure skating in the same union.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
4everchan wants it. There is no reason to have speed skating and figure skating in the same union.
I completely agree. It's about time that there was a separate organization strictly for figure skating and strictly with a president or head who understands and values the sport of figure skating NOT speed skating!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow! It's like the Luge/Bobsled/Skeleton on skates, mixed in with snowboard cross!

I'm honestly surprised this isn't a bigger thing...
yeah... it's like ski cross and snowboard cross but on skates :) i love it. And it's organized right in the middle of the city, on the streets so people can watch it from up close (instead of the others being on the hills, which with TV is great but for fans, they can only see the finish at the bottom of the hill...) (and yes, I see what you mean with the track with the tunnels and so on, like a bob/luge track - i used to look at it as Formula One Car racing LOL)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Forgot to address the posts of some who say that Figure skating should split from ISU.

Here are a few reasons why i think it's not ideal.

Figure skating leaders are very conservative. Nowadays, other feds are pushing for new sports, new rules, new ways to get their sport in the forefront ... Figure skating : still tweaking their judging system... and still not really getting it right.

Some other sports use technology and science better and it could be done in some degrees with figure skating. (for instance measuring speed and height of jumps, ice coverage etc).

While I saw lots of new sports entering the Olympics in recent games, figure skating had to fight to keep ice dance and failed at getting syncrho in. I don't see speed skating changing too much in the future. It's time to have the ISU's weight speak up for figure skating.

ISU has more weight with all the sports and athletes in it, being strong in many more countries than figure skating, than just figure skating alone, which is by many considered a niche sport.

I do understand that a president at least looking interested in figure skating may be a better advocate for the sport. At the same time, with the ongoing scandals, leaving figure skating on its own seems pretty dangerous.

We could compare ISU and FINA... figure skating would be syncrho swimming... which is again, the niche discipline... and being part of FINA is definitely an asset for it... instead of getting nixed from the Olympics, they managed to get the teams in... hopefully, one day, duets and solos will come back. The plan was that team members could also swim the other disciplines. They have also removed figures and replaced that with technical and free routines... Sounds familiar?

I would say that figure skating needs to stick with ISU but a better president is indeed needed :)

Last edited: