Japan’s Marin Honda sets goal for 2016-17 | Golden Skate

Japan’s Marin Honda sets goal for 2016-17

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last month, Japan’s Marin Honda ended Russia’s five-year gold streak at the 2016 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships. Although two of the top Russian ladies withdrew due to injury—both with sprained ankles—Honda stepped up to the challenge and claimed the title, beating Russia’s Maria Sotskova. The 14-year-old was the first Japanese junior lady to top the podium since Kanako Murakami, who won in 2010.

More

Honda’s coach, Mie Hamada, feels that Honda has very high potential but is not yet a consistent skater, or even a hard worker.

“Maybe it was a turning point that she was selected for Junior Worlds even though she only finished ninth at Nationals (senior level) and sixth at Junior Nationals,” said Hamada, who has coached Marin for the past six years. “The Federation chose her to go to Junior Worlds.”
I'm looking forward to seeing more from this talented skater!

frida80

Record Breaker
My favorite junior this season! She has an "it" factor. I just love watching her perform. Double points for skating to Beetlejuice.

tulosai

Record Breaker
:rofl: I think perhaps her coach is being a bit harsh... I have no real way to say if she's a hard worker, but her season other than Nationals was pretty consistent, and pretty awesome.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I really hope that she can participate in some Senior GP events or 4CC so that I can know how the judges will score her using the "senior" standard and show other what is maturity

ioanna

Record Breaker
:rofl: I think perhaps her coach is being a bit harsh... I have no real way to say if she's a hard worker, but her season other than Nationals was pretty consistent, and pretty awesome.

Well Marin herself admitted she can't work too hard. JGP Zagreb and Jr Worlds were the only two competitions where she skated 2 clean programs as far as I know. She made mistakes at the GPF but still ended up 3rd, was 6th at Jr Nationals, 9th at Sr Nationals, whereas Wakaba Higuchi was 1st at Jr Nationals and 2nd at Sr Nationals. Having Satoko Miyahara in her team, Marin looks very inconsistent in comparison so that may be one of the reasons why Mie Hamada thinks there's lots of room for improvement.

tinnychan

On the Ice
With 4 JGPF Finalist (Honda, Shiraiwa, Tsurskaya and Fedichkina) have to stay junior internationally next season, I am excited for JGP event next season.:laugh:

sarama

Medalist
I love Marin...the polish, the flow, the deep knee-bend, the musicality :clapper:
Regarding her consistency she isn't rock solid but she tends to deliver or at least to hold it together when it counts (JGPF, JW), which is quite an impressive quality! For example Yuna Shiraiwa (love her too), did the opposite this season, doing very well at junior and senior Nats and GPs but not so well at the big internationals (JGPF, YOG, JW). So all things considered, I think she handles the pressure quite decently!
Jumping wise who knows what will happen...

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
She has everything to be the next Mao. Star quality written all over her and better overall quality than any of the Russian junior, in my opinion.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really hope that she can participate in some Senior GP events or 4CC so that I can know how the judges will score her using the "senior" standard and show other what is maturity

Marin was born in August 2001 so that on July 1 2016 she will still be only 14: too young for the GP and Senior ISU Championships in the 2016-2017 season.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Are juniors still allowed on the senior GP? Do you think they'll send Polina to the seniors or will Russia give them all to the seniors? I think Polina is the only one that deserves it from Russia right now.

frida80

Record Breaker
Are juniors still allowed on the senior GP? Do you think they'll send Polina to the seniors or will Russia give them all to the seniors? I think Polina is the only one that deserves it from Russia right now.

Polina is also too young for senior Grand Prix. It's really frustrating. She needs to be competing at the senior level if she wants a shot at pyeongchang.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Marin really stands out from all current competing junior and senior Japanese ladies (except Mao). Her advantage starts from her well proportioned figure (similar to Mao) while most of the other Japanese ladies are super short/tiny. Her jumps do not rely on extreme knee bend, and she has a strong presence on ice. Her weakness is the height of her jumps, plus she does not rotate like a cat. It may give her troubles when she grows into a more mature figure. I have to remind myself she is 14. Since Satoko is really not my cut of tea, I cannot wait for Marin to be the #1 Japanese lady.

thoakun

Final Flight
I've read an interview with Mie Hamada in which she said that since Marin is naturally talented and a fast learner, she tended to take everything for granted. She also implied that Miyu is less talented and therefore works harder. It's obvious that Mie Hamada is very strict and more concerned about giving useful and blunt feedback and held Satoko as the role model for work ethic. I believe Satoko and Marin can push each other to improve in their weaknesses.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Marin's JWC performances were so lovely and confident. -When she skates like that, I can see her becoming the next big star for the Japanese ladies.
I also like Wakaba and the contrast between them. I hope for a good rivalry to spice up the skating world in years to come.

boskil

Match Penalty
Guys, I've watched this so many times trying to catch some really weak areas in her skating and I can't. I think height of her jumps is good, not to mention she launches them one after another like she's snapping her finger. There is no preparation, telegraphing, all jumps are masterfully composed into the program and performed with such grace - remind me of Julia's jumps in this sense.
And those landings! So soft, so balanced, steady and with fantastic flow...
She has such a pretty face and figure, beautiful slim hands, heart-melting smile, hair, costumes, everything really. :love:
Can be flirty, elegant, is able to project and what's most important - she connects with audience and viewers respond to her. That's exactly why Japanese feds sent her to Worlds - they noticed fans and judges in JGP love this girl. And Marin did not disappoint, because of another fine character trait: she shows up in big moments.
I agree on her spins not being extraordinary, but they are neat and solid, plus I'd say Marin forte is overall amazing flow and elegance rather than accentuating single outstanding element.

I admit I'm a bit concerned about her unwillingness to work hard, but hey! Maybe in this tough world of almost preteen figure skating professionals we need this playful free spirit from Kioto to break the mould a little bit. :agree:

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
About her not working hard...she's also got younger siblings that she cooks for and helps to look after. She has school-work and then their family has a TV show so it must be pretty hectic and difficult to concentrate for such a young skater.

boskil

Match Penalty
About her not working hard...she's also got younger siblings that she cooks for and helps to look after. She has school-work and then their family has a TV show so it must be pretty hectic and difficult to concentrate for such a young skater.
Maybe so. I hope media won't mess with her head and trainings, they surely went a bit crazy about her after Junior Worlds. Tbh, can we blame them? She and her family are just adorable! :laugh:

lishazard

Rinkside
I don't think Coach Hamada's hard worker comments are a bad thing at all. Everything she says - especially the fact that Marin doesn't like to practice the same thing repeatedly - points to her being naturally talented, so she takes some things for granted. That's okay, and if practice was the main reason that her season was so inconsistent, then watch out when Marin adopts Satoko's work ethic!

I hope Marin keeps up her momentum. This season, she really got lucky - that JGP Colorado was such a weak event that she managed a silver and kept her spot at JGP Zagreb, that she had an amazing free skate at Zagreb and got to the JGPF and (just barely) earned a bronze medal so she got the last Junior World spot, despite underperforming at Sectionals / Nationals, and that she had the two skates of her life after Polina withdrew.

Next season, I hope to see her as a true challenger to Polina, and do her best to defend her Junior Worlds title. I can't wait to see the return of her triple lutz triple toe, and I'm excited to see her Romeo and Juliet.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

I highly regard Marin's coach's honest assessment. Marin might need to improve her consistency by increasing her training time. We've seen skaters who couldn't show their abilities at Nationals can be left out of selection to compete big international stages.