Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Top 3 ATM:
Brown 480.02
Aaron 475.10
Koyada 469.36

At Golden Spin (3rd/2nd/1st)
Kvitelashvili 230.24 (PB) (239.12/244.86/249.78)
Rippon 226.72 (248.63 PB) (242.64/248.38/253.3)
Gorshkov 223.25 (PB) (246.11/251.85/256.77)
Martinez 206.30 (220.36 PB) (263.06/268.8/273.72)
Brezina 205.06 (243.52 PB)(264.3/270.04/274.96)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
There has been such a dearth of substantive Jason-related news for the past month or so that I've had to resort to reading books - the horror.

Just kidding, but other than his pretty much relentlessly cheery tweets it's been...crickets.

ETA I actually like the facial hair but he looks kinda wiped out.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There has been such a dearth of substantive Jason-related news for the past month or so that I've had to resort to reading books - the horror.

Just kidding, but other than his pretty much relentlessly cheery tweets it's been...crickets.

ETA I actually like the facial hair but he looks kinda wiped out.

Also noticed the facial scruff. Between the scruff and the knit hats, he's grooming like my nephew. You would think they were both 21 years old or something....:laugh:

But you're right; crickets. The fact that Coach Vincent is posting JoMo's jumps now .... I think Jason is in heavy duty recovery. At least we get social postings....

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Also noticed the facial scruff. Between the scruff and the knit hats, he's grooming like my nephew. You would think they were both 21 years old or something....:laugh:

But you're right; crickets. The fact that Coach Vincent is posting JoMo's jumps now .... I think Jason is in heavy duty recovery. At least we get social postings....

Vincent has posted clips of Jordan alone before. In fact he posted pics of Jordan's quad attempts before any of Jason's were posted. I think he is posting clips of Jordan cuz Jordan is doing well and deserves the attention and encouragement.

I think it is possible it is in part to light a fire under Jason.... Jason's quad did appear very shortly after Jordan's clips were posted. You don't get to where Jason is without some sort of competitive streak. But I would not take clips of Jordan do indicate that Jason is not doing well.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have to admit that I thought pretty much like El Henry - coach V must not be posting clips of Jason because Jason isn't back to training jumps yet, whatever else he may be training.

Hopefully he's exactly where he needs to be in his recovery right now...

;)

ETA Kori and Jason himself both say Jason is intrinsically motivated so I'm guessing the Jordan clips were posted for Jordan rather than to motivate Jason.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh my gosh, the last of my baby juniors has grown up and is shaving. Gracious me. Where did the time go?

musicfan80

Medalist
Oh my gosh, the last of my baby juniors has grown up and is shaving. Gracious me. Where did the time go?

I think a lot of the U.S. men have started to not be so clean shaven. Even Josh tends to let the stubble creep up in practice sessions. But I wonder if it's so they can wait until just before their performances so that the shave has stayed smooth as possible. Some men do better when they shave when they shave a little less often than every single day.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I have to vent...

following some Twitter link of Phil Hersh's (yeah, I know) and looked at the comments. Like looking at the "other" FS Board.

And one tweeter said about Jason "Maybe this 'injury' was just a way of not looking bad at NHK".

Sometimes I just want to slap people upside their silly little heads:angry2:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
OK, I have to vent...

following some Twitter link of Phil Hersh's (yeah, I know) and looked at the comments. Like looking at the "other" FS Board.

And one tweeter said about Jason "Maybe this 'injury' was just a way of not looking bad at NHK".

Sometimes I just want to slap people upside their silly little heads:angry2:

Don't let it worry you - those tweeters are always snarking sbout Jason. Flanagan in particular.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My only take is why do people always assume that people purposely injure themselves (or fake an injury, rather) to "not look bad?" That doesn't even make sense! People who say such such have never competed in anything ever! Most athletes want to prove and show off what they've been doing in training.

Not to mention the obvious here: JAPAN. I mean the land of beautiful K&C gifts and huge crowds. Why would ANYONE try miss out on competing in that kind of atmosphere for the sake of ego? This is the crowd that was cheering for Anna P. to get up after her terrible falls in the SP.

Anyway, people just love to snark about athletes in general. It's sort of amusing. My cousin loves to snark about Jeremy Lin, like all the time. It doesn't bother Jeremy much, I don't think. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah it's very dumb, I agree. Jason in particular loves Japan, and I have to laugh at the idea he'd be more afraid to compete at NHK and look "bad" than, oh, I don't know, at Worlds or the Olympics. :sarcasm:

deetrakt

Rinkside
As predicted here by a number of posters, Jason has won the mens' crown in the Challenger Series points race (total points in his 2 highest-scoring events). Max Aaron finished 2nd.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LOL, breaking news ;):

Confirmation that Jason is darkening his hair is in the December issue of Skating magazine, which has quotes from both Jason and Rohene:

(The page numbers in the magazine and in the URLs are out of synch.)​

Link to the full magazine -- which has lots of good Jason stuff scattered throughout:

Jason is included in Max Settlage's cover illustration of the reigning national champions, for just one example.

TMC

Record Breaker
Yeah it's very dumb, I agree. Jason in particular loves Japan, and I have to laugh at the idea he'd be more afraid to compete at NHK and look "bad" than, oh, I don't know, at Worlds or the Olympics. :sarcasm:

I'm always surprised and baffled when somebody tweets/otherwise comments that an injury is fake (though I should know better). To me, it says a whole lot more about the person making the comment. It's telling that they would even think that faking an injury is a viable option!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
LOL, breaking news ;):

Confirmation that Jason is darkening his hair is in the December issue of Skating magazine, which has quotes from both Jason and Rohene:

(The page numbers in the magazine and in the URLs are out of synch.)​

Link to the full magazine -- which has lots of good Jason stuff scattered throughout:

Jason is included in Max Settlage's cover illustration of the reigning national champions, for just one example.

Thanks for this, Golden!

I find it so funny that they ran the story about his hair - do you suppose someone read our speculations?! Not surprised it was Rohene's idea but a bit more surprised that it's his actual handiwork and that it's been going on since Riverdance. Honestly with Riverdance I thought it just looked darker because of all the product he was using. Actually in its current iteration, his hair is not too far off one of Rohene's past looks:

Image from http://debnorton.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/COI-Posted-by-Page.jpg.

I love that picture of Rohene, and I confess it kinda makes me wonder if we'll ever see Jason with a goatee and plunging neckline!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just read the Skating Mag article, came here, and saw that the ever vigilant Golden411 had posted; thanks!

It does show Jason's loyal fans aren't completely crazy. Well, skating is show biz:agree2: but Rohene, as we know (as much as we love him) does not always have the most, errr, conventional eye (I don't mean his own look, which is fab, but think e.g., yellow pants).

As someone born with dark brown hair (before the silver highlights. ;) ) I can't imagine why anyone would want to dye it that color, but Jason is definitely a good sport!

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Just read the Skating Mag article, came here, and saw that the ever vigilant Golden411 had posted; thanks!

It does show Jason's loyal fans aren't completely crazy. Well, skating is show biz:agree2: but Rohene, as we know (as much as we love him) does not always have the most, errr, conventional eye (I don't mean his own look, which is fab, but think e.g., yellow pants).

As someone born with dark brown hair (before the silver highlights. ;) ) I can't imagine why anyone would want to dye it that color, but Jason is definitely a good sport!

The grass always appears greener and so on...I'm a natural blonde and have wanted to dye my hair brown for ages, but I have this irrational fear that it may never go back to its natural colour after. Irrational because I'm not a big fan of blonde hair and it doesn't even particularly suit me. But you always want what you don't have/can't get, eh? :laugh:

musicfan80

Medalist
LOL, breaking news ;):

Thanks for this, Golden!

I find it so funny that they ran the story about his hair - do you suppose someone read our speculations?! Not surprised it was Rohene's idea but a bit more surprised that it's his actual handiwork and that it's been going on since Riverdance. Honestly with Riverdance I thought it just looked darker because of all the product he was using.

I always thought it was very likely that Jason has either naturally light or golden brown hair. His eyebrows are lighter. I believe his dad is totally gray haired, so who knows what his original color was, but I think his mom has either golden or auburn colored hair.

Dark brown (and certainly black) is hard to pull off if you are white and it isn't your natural color. It can make you look pale very easily. I have medium brown hair and I have to be careful when I pick hair color because even those shades can be too dark for me. I think Jason's looks good because he has some olive in his complexion.

I can't think of any male skater who probably has naturally dark brown hair.

Last edited: