Jason Brown | Page 398 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
According to this, Jason plans same program content here as he did at Worlds: no quad SP, 4T in FS. Hmm. Interesting in light of the 2 quad SP planned for next year. But beyond that, makes total sense: better to land it in competition first and then up the ante.

https://twitter.com/pandaatlarge/status/854619221346590720

ETA el henry, my google translate app works a bit better than yours I think! Here's what it says (and I think this person is probably reliable source):

The last competition WTT this season is from tomorrow, but I asked Jason about the program of next season. SP songs are from musical HAMILTON, FS has not been decided yet. If you ask the Kori coach to appear in the Japanese show in the off season, since it is OLPyear, it will be focused on practice.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
not sure if I'll be able to follow WTT closely:(, just want to say good luck to Jason in advance - just be positive, open and smiley yourself, no matter what!:cheer:, looking forward to be once again charmed and moved by Jason's performances (even if only re-watched as my work since returning from Easter holiday is giving me hell...:slink:)

and good spirits to All Jason's fans here!:ghug:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
According to this, Jason plans same program content here as he did at Worlds: no quad SP, 4T in FS. Hmm. Interesting in light of the 2 quad SP planned for next year. But beyond that, makes total sense: better to land it in competition first and then up the ante.
https://twitter.com/pandaatlarge/status/854619221346590720

Huh. Interesting indeed and admittedly, I am not sure I quite get the reasoning behind this decision. It's WTT which means very little pressure and yet, trying a quad in the SP in competition is an experience he desperately needs, especially considering the decision to have two next season :think:
Otherwise yes, keeping the FS as it is, is more than fine but the SP is puzzling. In any case, he should just enjoy himself and have fun!

TMC

Record Breaker
Huh. Interesting indeed and admittedly, I am not sure I quite get the reasoning behind this decision. It's WTT which means very little pressure and yet, trying a quad in the SP in competition is an experience he desperately needs, especially considering the decision to have two next season :think:
Otherwise yes, keeping the FS as it is, is more than fine but the SP is puzzling. In any case, he should just enjoy himself and have fun!

If I think about what I would want myself - if I were him - I would want to finish off the season with two clean programmes. I think that would motivate me more to get those quads down for the coming season. I don't know why and I can't explain the logic, but I can see why he might choose to not include the 2 quads (or even the one) just yet.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
If I think about what I would want myself - if I were him - I would want to finish off the season with two clean programmes. I think that would motivate me more to get those quads down for the coming season. I don't know why and I can't explain the logic, but I can see why he might choose to not include the 2 quads (or even the one) just yet.

Oh yes, there is that, didn't think of that one. It's certainly excellent to end the season on a positive note (especially considering his WCh went great!)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG, that suit is brutal! I love it! I think I'm gonna check my Kohl's and see if they have it! :laugh2:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I agree with TMC.

In the 2015 TSL interview with Kori, when Dave asked why they didn't put the quad back in at WTT (remember he tried it for the first time ever at 4CCs but they took it out for Worlds) Kori said something like, no way, it's a team event, and the team would be at risk. And she also said that it was an opportunity for Jason to build his competitive confidence.

He hasn't had the quad in the SP since November, and he has only landed it once in the FS. By not changing anything now, I think he has the best chance of successfully landing a fully rotated quad in the FS - which I think will set him up well for next season. It also gives him the chance to see if he can match or exceed his quadless Worlds SP score; if he does, he might have a greater margin for error when he does start adding the quad(s) in next season.

madforskating

On the Ice
Okay, can I throw out the wild idea that Jason might improve on quads if you sent him to train with Raf for the summer alongside Nathan Chen? He spent last summer with Frank Carroll and that seemed to help; sometimes I think outsourcing some of the work might help.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A new article by Lynn Rutherford:

Jason Brown "Lives" To Cheer On His Figure Skating Teammates At World Team Trophy

Sochi teammate Ashley Wagner, voted team captain by the other skaters, is glad to have Brown aboard.

“I’m counting on Jason,” she said. “He’s the team mascot, I’ve decided.”

He's obviously taking the role of being team mascot very seriously! :laugh:

Thanks for the info about the suit from Ashley's IG, Rosa74 -- I hadn't seen it. :)

madforskating

On the Ice
A new article by Lynn Rutherford:

Jason Brown "Lives" To Cheer On His Figure Skating Teammates At World Team Trophy

Sochi teammate Ashley Wagner, voted team captain by the other skaters, is glad to have Brown aboard.

“I’m counting on Jason,” she said. “He’s the team mascot, I’ve decided.”

He's obviously taking the role of being team mascot very seriously! :laugh:

Thanks for the info about the suit from Ashley's IG, Rosa74 -- I hadn't seen it. :)

He is just the nicest guy! So supportive of his teammates, never throws a fit when he loses, never blames anyone for a poor result, always the most sportsmanlike skater I know. Deserves so much respect.

Ross74

Medalist
Okay, can I throw out the wild idea that Jason might improve on quads if you sent him to train with Raf for the summer alongside Nathan Chen? He spent last summer with Frank Carroll and that seemed to help; sometimes I think outsourcing some of the work might help.

I fully expect to see him back with Frank this summer. :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
As cute as Rohene and Raf are in the K&C together, I don't see Jason training with Raf and Kori. Kori was not ok with Mariah using him as a jump coach so I doubt she would be fore Jason.

Kori and TomZ seem to have a pretty good respect for eachother, and Tom has taught both 4F and 4Z to Vincent as a jump coach role. I think that might be more likely than Raf.

I really really wish they would share a clip of his 4S. I want to see it and have wanted to for so long now. Maybe they are trying to keep it a secret... still amazed we did not get a clip of it from practice at worlds.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
That would be great, but as far as I know, Frank has only taught quad toe and salchow while Raf has taught all kinds of quads. I would like to see Jason with all the quads.

Ive been wrong before, but I doubt Jason will go to Raf, who already has a large stable of skaters, including Adam as well as Nathan. Since Jason is pretty much Adam's direct competitor, it seems unlikely Raf would take him.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I think it highly unlikely that Jason would work with Raf. Not only is Raf coaching Nathan, he's also coaching Adam Rippon, Ashley Wagner, Mariah Bell, and Michal Brezina (and probably others but those came to mind immediately) and I don't think it would be the right training atmosphere for Jason.

I fully expect to see him back with Frank this summer. :)

I also think he's going to spend time with Frank over the summer. I have been thinking about Anthony Liu too. Kori talked about Anthony in the Nick McCarvel interview and described him as the best jump technician she knows. I've wondered why Jason hasn't worked with him lately. Frank and Anthony are on the coaching staff at Desert Ice Castle where Jason spent some time this winter during his recovery. Maybe he will spend some time there this summer working with both of them?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would be great, but as far as I know, Frank has only taught quad toe and salchow while Raf has taught all kinds of quads. I would like to see Jason with all the quads.

It's great to think outside the box :thumbsup: but for all the reasons that have been pointed out, Jason and Raf would not be a good fit. Frank, Tom Z. (Max and Jason training together: how cute), or Christy and Damon (Jason and Josh pushing each other as they have throughout their career) would make more sense.

Plus, Jason doesn't *need* "all" the quads. :noshake: He has all the other gifts that many skaters would (or should) be aspiring to have. :clap: If we're talking medals, he does need *some* quads, and I think if he is looking to train elsewhere, he could refine his tech at Desert Ice or in Colorado...

While skating to Hamilton ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
According to TSL, Doug Ladret, who is now on staff at 7k, is an excellent jump technician. So there's that. 😊

Anyway, go Jason! Clean SP tomorrow please!

Which reminds me: no day off between programs may be another reason they're not pushing for a quad in SP.

I've never thought much about his costumes before, but I kinda want him to keep this one for Hamilton.