Jason Brown | Page 540 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The location on David Wilson's instagram photo of Kaori and Sonoko is Scotiabank Pond. Since Brian is currently relaxing in a pool in Nova Scotia, Jason working on choreography is a good bet. It was mentioned by Brian in the Icenetwork article that Jason could start on it now even with his injury.

"It would be nice if we could start that work right now[jumps], but there is so much we can do off the ice, and he can begin working with David on selecting music and putting together his long program," Orser said.

Ross74

Medalist
And Heather gave Jason socks with (edited ) risqué language? If only he’d asked I could have given the whole thing to him in Latin;) and destroyed the entire effect:laugh:

Love those socks! :laugh: I thought it was sweet that Stories from today and yesterday both had to do with 7K friends. Today with the socks from Heather, and yesterday with the group shot with his former training mates.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just wanted to point out too, in case anyone missed it, that Grant Hochstein commented on Jason’s post with the double fall on the quad:

“Look at that beautiful triple flip in the background. #flawless”
:laugh2:

I trust Jason is still planning to attend/participate in the nuptials, even if it’s a longer trip......

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The Phil interview said:

“Doctors advised him not to jump at all for a month, and Brown said he will wait until July to begin serious work on jumping.”

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/31/279137174/

So he hasn’t jumped in over a month, consistent with doctor’s recommendations, and maybe he won’t actually start training hard on them until July? I’m a little confused though - he was injured April 27 and I thought he was doing 3F at least in his SOI programs until then - so where did 3 months come from? :).

Also, is that Yuzuru in black in the background or is he still in Japan?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The Phil interview said:

“Doctors advised him not to jump at all for a month, and Brown said he will wait until July to begin serious work on jumping.”

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/05/31/279137174/

So he hasn’t jumped in over a month, consistent with doctor’s recommendations, and maybe he won’t actually start training hard on them until July? I’m a little confused though - he was injured April 27 and I thought he was doing 3F at least in his SOI programs until then - so where did 3 months come from? :).

Also, is that Yuzuru in black in the background or is he still in Japan?

Yuzu's in Japan for shows and other engagements till July at least.

Ross74

Medalist
.... I’m a little confused though - he was injured April 27 and I thought he was doing 3F at least in his SOI programs until then - so where did 3 months come from? :).

Who said anything about 3 months? He said in Story that he hadn't done triples in almost 6 weeks. What am I missing? :scratch2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It sounds like they're waiting until July to work seriously on the big jumps, i.e. 3A and quad. In the meanwhile, he can build back and start jumping everything else. It's good to see Jason jumping again and :pray: he stays healthy!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So I didn’t have patience to sort through the entire rule proposal thread, but what I got out of it is this:

- limit on bonus for backloading - 1 jump in SP and 3 in FS
- only two triples/quads total can be repeated, eg, 3A, 3A+3T, 4T, 4T+3Lo.
- proposal to increase PCS factoring withdrawn for more study
- proposal to make judges mark components accurately rejected or withdrawn as redundant. Ha.
- not sure, but I’m assuming the changes to base value and GOE passed?

In addition, already passed are reduction in FS time to 4 minutes and maximum number of jumps in FS reduced from 8 to 7.

Jason has been backloading his programs 2-6 or 3-5) for quite awhile, so he will lose the 10% bonus on 2-3 jumps. Spins and step sequences are worth less. His repeated jumps were usually 3A and 3Z. Obviously that will change if he adds quads. But what about combos? His loop isn’t great. Will he do the 3A-1lo-3F combo we saw him practice or stay with -3S?

I guess I’m trying to work out how changes affect him. Is he still about as competitive as he was versus “top tier” skaters, or is he better or worse off now?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The changes suddenly make the 3A very, very important. I think this will be their top priority, especially now. If he can backload both 3A combos, then he's getting some very good points there.

It is also pretty decent on men with just the one quad. So knock on wood, hopefully it won't be as bad as it could have been with the initial proposal.

@Tavi - if he can get the quad, of good quality, stable, to repeat, he's going to be in a good place but he will need it.
The BV changes etc were already passed before the congress, that wasn't even voted on.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree the 3A will need to be perfect. This is the one area where he can make up some major ground. Out of all the men still skating, Alexei Krasnozhon has the best 3A. Both Nathan and Vincent have been so-so on their 3As (though they of course can improve and will also want to work on it due to the new rules).

He's played around with 3A-1L-3S and 3A-1L-3F in various places and done the 3A-3T in competition.

I think the +GOE rules will work in his favor with spins and steps.

Honestly when you put everything together, I think the rule changes won't impact much on what he needs (and likely wants) to do technically in the short-term.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So all the IG stories make me think.... wouldn't the TCC be sorta strict on that kind of thing? I mean that's why people train there -- because it's pretty private. Media access is very limited.

I wonder what the social media policy is -- I've seen other skaters take photos from there, so that clearly not prohibited. Just wondering.

I do agree the irony, as someone on twitter pointed out of two of the new skaters being hard core social media types -- Boyang's apparently the king of Weibo (which I haven't accessed in a looonnng time).

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I hope Jason is allowed to continue posting clips of his own training and progress, if that’s what he wants to do - it’s great! Hopefully he had the good sense to ask first. :)

My impression is that anything about Yuzuru is off limits, though. I’d guess the same about group work - for example, the daily skating skills class. I don’t know if the policy extends to other skaters there, but I expect Jason will ask permission first.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sure he did. And Conrad Orzel's posted a bit from there too. But just mainly kinda interested how TCC navigates their strict privacy policy with social media. I hope it's allowed, cause it's fun to see the clips!

Haleth

On the Ice
So all the IG stories make me think.... wouldn't the TCC be sorta strict on that kind of thing? I mean that's why people train there -- because it's pretty private. Media access is very limited.

I wonder what the social media policy is -- I've seen other skaters take photos from there, so that clearly not prohibited. Just wondering.

I do agree the irony, as someone on twitter pointed out of two of the new skaters being hard core social media types -- Boyang's apparently the king of Weibo (which I haven't accessed in a looonnng time).

I can't give you the actual policy as I don't work there, but I can tell you in the past year I've seen individual skaters post photos, gifs, and short videos. Conrad was doing this a fair amount this spring, though that has lessened recently. There may several reasons for this, including the impending junior season (plenty of Jason's new junior rinkmates are on the entries list for next month's Minto Summer Skate).

Gabby's just started a YT channel, though that so far seems to take place away from the rink. I recall she posted things from the few rink earlier this year.

Brian and other staff have posted things very occasionally on Instagram as well. That includes stroking classes, and a group workshop. And a few are of Yuzu and others, like the one the harness coach Geoff posted this past winter.

Otherwise you'll hopefully see Jason in some images that come from the annual media day at TCC in late summer. Uploads of the video and photos should be available as soon as they are posted or broadcast (mostly on Japanese TV).

Haleth

On the Ice
Speak of the devil! I see Conrad posted an Instastory a few hours ago with rinkmate Bruce (men's and ice dance) and a few others. Looks like a studio, though not the one I associate most with TCC.