Jason Brown | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
To be fair to Lease, the comment was made in context to his Juke SP, where he does seem quite youthful.

That said I never understood why maturity =/= youth. I think you can show maturity without losing youthful exuberance.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That pretty much sums up TSL for me. I think they have some good analysis at times and the interviews with key figure skating figures can be great, but then they suddenly go into left field with catty comments and conspiracy theories.

:eek:hwell:

I do agree with Dave's assertion is that they are easing up on the cardio in his FS in hopes that he can up his technical content in the program. At the same time, he still gets a challenge in range in doing a different type of program. And yes Jason needs to nail the jumps too.

I tend to love the catty comments, but then it's a very NY gay-bitchery kind of humor (for those Ugly Betty fans out there, Mr Lease is the Mark St James of the skating commentary world). It doesn't appeal to everyone.

A few responses:

--Having an iconic physical feature like Jason's ponytail (or Charlie's curls--or Peizerat's) actually makes you stand out from the pack. Liza Minnelli hasn't changed her hairstyle in more than 50 years. I wonder if we would recognize her if she did! And it doesn't seem to have hurt her career. Neither did the aforementioned curls of Mr White or Mr Peizerat.

--Mr Lease seems to have taken Dick Button's chapter about "correct" entrances and exits to and from the competitive skating arena a little too much to heart. It's a hug. It appears to work for him. Once that hug is over, his ice entrances and exits are appropriately professional.

--I thought it was, on the whole, a good analysis of Jason's new programs as they stand right now. "The program is constructed in a way that requires jumps to be landed in order for the program to build effectively" and noting how interesting his new step sequence is are right on the money (Re: his LP). In fact, I was interested in hearing people's take on the differences between a straight-line step sequence (like Riverdance) and a circular one (T&I). And I do think he's right that Jason hasn't quite got the right "take" on the SP--but then it took him awhile to get the right attitude for the Prince SP. Last year's programs were "immediate," I think. I agree with Mr Lease that these are going to be growers.

--And he's also right about Mirai. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, that is a good comparison. He is Mark St. James! Way to cater to my fandom of Ugly Betty. :) You make good points here which I will respond too when I have a chance!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I stumbled upon an HD version of his Jr. worlds 2013 FS. Appreciated the grainy version since it was the only one available, but glad for a better quality version.

http://youtu.be/45vIPosHO-o

Wow, the quality of that vid is great; I am beginning to appreciate Liebestraume more. Danke:agree:

TMC

Record Breaker
Yep! 4t, 4s and 4z have been ratified so far.

Ahhhhh and since Jason's Flip is so strong...can we start dreaming that his will be the first ratified 4f? *already dreaming even without your permission* :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just read this on Wikipedia. Is it true?

As of February 2014, no skater has accomplished a quadruple Axel (4½ rotations) in competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_jump

That's correct. Every so often a rumour floats around that so-and-so can do it or is trying it, but no-one's ever brought it. Ilia Kulik once said he could do a quad Axel on the floor, but he never tried it on the ice.

I've often thought that of the current Russian men, Gachinski could give it a go. His 3A is enormous. Among the American men, only Max has the speed, and Joshua the height/air position, to try (IMO) but I wouldn't want any of them breaking.

And I agree - Jason's 3F is so huge that 4F is a possibility for him. Rippon tried 4Lz last year - how far we've come from the first time Plushenko tried it in competition back in 2001! - and Takahashi tried 4F back in 2010. Gachinski was supposed to be putting the 4Lo in his programs the year it all turned into a disaster for him. I know Joshua said in an interview late in the season that he could land 4F and 4Lo on the harness and found the 4F "easy". Max did a 4Lo in one of his Stars on Ice performances. It'll happen one day, and sooner than we think.

Just to explain further for those who are new:

The jump must be attempted in the FREE SKATE/LONG PROGRAM of an ISU international competition to be ratified by the ISU. There was quite the kerfuffle when Brandon Mroz landed the 4Lz at the Broadmoor Open a few years back and Tom Z and the USFSA lobbied very hard to have it ratified even though it was only the Broadmoor. They succeeded (much to my disgust!).

So, if Jason pulled off a 4F for the first time in an SP, it wouldn't count. It has to be done in an LP first.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I stumbled upon an HD version of his Jr. worlds 2013 FS. Appreciated the grainy version since it was the only one available, but glad for a better quality version.

http://youtu.be/45vIPosHO-o

Love this. I was initially wary of the CBC commentators because of the experience I'd had with their videos at the previous year's Junior Worlds. The commentary on Joshua's LP at that one went like this: "Chan Chan Chan Chan Lysacek Chan Chan Lysacek Buttle Chan Chan Chan *Josh finishes* Joshua."

Interestingly, I reckon it's also the only time I've seen Jason visibly disappointed when the total score/rank comes up. He may have won the free skate, but Joshua's SP was perfect, and it made the difference in the end.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love this. I was initially wary of the CBC commentators because of the experience I'd had with their videos at the previous year's Junior Worlds. The commentary on Joshua's LP at that one went like this: "Chan Chan Chan Chan Lysacek Chan Chan Lysacek Buttle Chan Chan Chan *Josh finishes* Joshua."

Interestingly, I reckon it's also the only time I've seen Jason visibly disappointed when the total score/rank comes up. He may have won the free skate, but Joshua's SP was perfect, and it made the difference in the end.
I noticed that too about Jason's reaction, but I found his "oh well" squint to be endearing.

I liked what I could hear of the CBC's commentary, but choreography choreography choreography ... Would it have killed her to say Rohene's name just once? American commentators hardly ever do, but I expect our Northern neighbors to be better than us :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But Jason does talk about Rohene, and choosing the Riverdance program. Had not seen this vid before, says it was posted yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxCFDkhl9U&feature=youtu.be

Jason's Ponytail should tweet this one, many good close-ups.:cool:

Jason at the Chicago Symphony!!! So it looks like its a video in honor of the composer Of Riverdance, who premiered his new flute concerto at its outdoor concert series. Very cool!

Here's a video about the new piece: http://youtu.be/Tw2ONbwbU44 Sounds awesome.

Last edited:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A belated thank you to Mrs P and Karne for all the videos you've posted of Jason. :bow:

I grew up following figure skating but had lost my love for it somewhere along the way. I happened catch Jason's Riverdance performance at Nationals and became an instant fan. I've been on a 6-month crash course in all things Jason (thanks to all the wonderful items posted here) and the more I learn, the more I respect and enjoy him as a person as well as a skater.

I saw Riverdance in it's first world tour 20 years ago and follow Bill Whelan on twitter. When he tweeted about the video:

Bill Whelan @ShivnaBill
What a glorious surprise appearance on video by @jasonbskates @RaviniaFestival @chicagosymphony @Sir_J_Galway last night. Thank you Jason.

I went searching for more info and found a review at classicalite that also mentioned the video:

Ravinia featured two introductory videos leading up to the flute concerto. The inclusion of a video statement by figure skater Jason Brown, who won bronze at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, was an unexpected delight. Brown, a Highland Park, Ill. native, skated to "Reel around the Sun" from Whelan's Riverdance during the Olympics.

As always, baby (and adult) Jason is adorable! :love:

alabhaois

On the Ice
Hello, katmari. :) Your situation is practically the same as mine, as I happened to see Jason's Riverdance online and was instantly captivated. Funny that it's been only a few months, yet now I can't remember ever not liking him. This is a wonderfully informative (and at times, very funny) forum (particularly the JB thread, thanks to Mrs. P). ;) I think I'm hooked! Thanks for posting the review. And, yes, Jason exceeds all limits of adorableness.
Cheers! :cool: