Jason Brown | Page 687 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Interesting! Jason clearly has been training, but there must be some additional reason for all these TCC skaters to be there.

Maybe there’s another reason, but I’d guess they’re primarily there to get in training time. I think Tracy and Brian committed to six trips to China, which means they’ll be away from TCC for a total of about six weeks altogether. That’s a lot of time. Jason is at a critical point in his training and Conrad and Corey (and Amelia?) may have just switched from Lee to Brian.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… And Karen Chen for pairs would be too cute as well:biggrin:

Maybe Steve Brown was onto something;)

So happens that today Karen Chen spoke of her dream to be an ice dancer.

The topic came up (unrelated to Jason) when she was answering questions on Insta Live.
Karen said that she has passed ice dance tests through Pre-Gold (IIRC). And that she never has skated pairs.
"My brother is living my dream of ice dancing," she said. (Pretty much a direct quote.)

So at Skate America and NHK, Papa Brown and Karen can put their heads together to turn their mutual dreams into a plan for K Chen + J Brown to qualify as a senior ice dance couple at Nationals some day. :yay:

(Off topic: Congratulations to Jeffrey Chen, who this weekend won Junior Dance at the Chesapeake Open with his new partner Katarina Wolfkostin. The other Browns ;) :ghug: placed second.)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Maybe there’s another reason, but I’d guess they’re primarily there to get in training time. I think Tracy and Brian committed to six trips to China, which means they’ll be away from TCC for a total of about six weeks altogether. That’s a lot of time. Jason is at a critical point in his training and Conrad and Corey (and Amelia?) may have just switched from Lee to Brian.

Conrad is still listed as having Lee as his coach on the ISU page. There has been no official announcement of what Barkell is doing as far as I know. It's still smoke. One thing that I am happy about is that Jason got time with Ghislaine on this trip. That can only be good. But I expect that he'll be heading back to TCC soon. He needs to get to work on his programs.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So happens that today Karen Chen spoke of her dream to be an ice dancer.

The topic came up (unrelated to Jason) when she was answering questions on Insta Live.
Karen said that she has passed ice dance tests through Pre-Gold (IIRC). And that she never has skated pairs.
"My brother is living my dream of ice dancing," she said. (Pretty much a direct quote.)

So at Skate America and NHK, Papa Brown and Karen can put their heads together to turn their mutual dreams into a plan for K Chen + J Brown to qualify as a senior ice dance couple at Nationals some day. :yay:

(Off topic: Congratulations to Jeffrey Chen, who this weekend won Junior Dance at the Chesapeake Open with his new partner Katarina Wolfkostin. The other Browns ;) :ghug: placed second.)

That would be fun! But is she tiny enough?

Ross74

Medalist
According to Conrad's latest Story, Brian is now in China. Complete shift change? :laugh: It's crazy trying to keep track of who's where.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
According to Conrad's latest Story, Brian is now in China. Complete shift change? :laugh: It's crazy trying to keep track of who's where.

I checked my instagram and noticed that Paige Aistrop is in China now too. Must have been time for a shift change. :laugh:

Aside from being able to keep training with TCC coaches during the China trips, it has been a great opportunity for the athletes to personalize the goal of 2022 Olympics by visiting the country.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
:unsure:

Is his SP anywhere near ready for prime time? Has he had any time working with David Wilson in the past month?

Seems odd to me :scratch2:

I don’t know, but the bummer is that a lot of the programs are during the day. Peggy Fleming is at night but would he spend valuable training time preparing for a comp that won’t prepare him for season?

When he used to do Broadmoor it was to get his programs out early. With SA as his first GP it makes sense he’d want to prepare early. But he’s literally only had the SP like a week?

I guess we’ll see. :)

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jason's competed his programs in preliminary form before at Broadmoor before so it's possible he could do both the SP & FS, marking jumps/choreo that aren't in final form.

My guess is that he will compete in the Peggy Fleming Trophy challenge. It's tailor made to show off his strengths. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope he does the Peggy Fleming Trophy! That event was tailor-made for him!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I may have to change my mind about not going. But if he’s really gonna be there, he’ll probably struggle with the altitude. :)

ETA He hasn’t had SP very long. I wonder if he would just do FS or Peggy Fleming.

You should definitely go. My guess is that he'll do Love is a Bi**h. He can't possibly be ready with this year's programs. But now it makes more sense with the Chinese shift change that maybe Tracy and Ghislaine are headed back to Toronto to handle the summer camp, and Brian and co are taking over with Conrad and Amelia to demo and learn. And Jason will get to hang out with Karen, which will be fun for him. He does lead a rather glamorous life since he switched to TCC. It's really great! Hoping there will be some videos from Broadmoor!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You should definitely go. My guess is that he'll do Love is a Bi**h. He can't possibly be ready with this year's programs. But now it makes more sense with the Chinese shift change that maybe Tracy and Ghislaine are headed back to Toronto to handle the summer camp, and Brian and co are taking over with Conrad and Amelia to demo and learn. And Jason will get to hang out with Karen, which will be fun for him. He does lead a rather glamorous life since he switched to TCC. It's really great! Hoping there will be some videos from Broadmoor!

Where is Broadmoor? And will Jason be a guest, who will be competing?

Ross74

Medalist
Where is Broadmoor? And will Jason be a guest, who will be competing?

It’s a club competition hosted by the Broadmoor Skating Club in Colorado Springs.

Hasn’t Jason been named as appearing here before and then not shown up?

Tavi...

Record Breaker

I would be thrilled, but I’m honestly not convinced he’ll be there. He often used to debut his programs at Broadmoor, but in the last few years there have been a few times when he’s registered but not shown up.

And this particular situation doesn’t make much sense to me. Unless he’s posting pix after the fact (which is possible), he’s still Beijing. Even if he left today and flew straight to CS, there’s a 14 hour time difference. So he would only have a few days to overcome jet lag and adjust to the altitude (it’s about 6,000 feet in CS).

I suppose he could do it, but why? If the new programs aren’t ready yet, it doesn’t make much sense. It would make a bit more sense if he was invited to do the Peggy Fleming event. As Karne and Katmari say, event is tailor made for him, and but for the coaching change, he probably would have done it last year.

For the purposes of debuting his new competition programs, though, it seems like Philly or Glacier Falls (both usually end of July / early August) would make more sense. Then again, maybe the programs are further along than I realize.

Anyway, I’ll definitely check into it on Monday.

I do love that Jason is back to posting more again. :)

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1142786958353195008?s=21

@Jeanie19, even if he goes, it’s unlikely that Evgenia would. :).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would be thrilled, but I’m honestly not convinced he’ll be there. He often used to debut his programs at Broadmoor, but in the last few years there have been a few times when he’s registered but not shown up.

And this particular situation doesn’t make much sense to me. Unless he’s posting pix after the fact (which is possible), he’s still Beijing. Even if he left today and flew straight to CS, there’s a 14 hour time difference. So he would only have a few days to overcome jet lag and adjust to the altitude (it’s about 6,000 feet in CS).

I suppose he could do it, but why? If the new programs aren’t ready yet, it doesn’t make much sense. It would make a bit more sense if he was invited to do the Peggy Fleming event. As Karne and Katmari say, event is tailor made for him, and but for the coaching change, he probably would have done it last year.

For the purposes of debuting his new competition programs, though, it seems like Philly or Glacier Falls (both usually end of July / early August) would make more sense. Then again, maybe the programs are further along than I realize.

The picture Jason just posted from the Great Wall is recent. Conrad was posting Instagram stories from there and did a short livestream ~11 hours ago. Looks like a big group of them went. I've seen Amelia, Corey, Boyang, Peng and Jin, Brian, Paige, in addition to Conrad and Jason. https://www.instagram.com/p/BzDdGmXnyJx/

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I really want Jason and Evgenia at a competition together. Philadelphia would be perfect. :pray:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The picture Jason just posted from the Great Wall is recent. Conrad was posting Instagram stories from there and did a short livestream ~11 hours ago. Looks like a big group of them went. I've seen Amelia, Corey, Boyang, Peng and Jin, Brian, Paige, in addition to Conrad and Jason. https://www.instagram.com/p/BzDdGmXnyJx/

My devious mind can't get around the possibility that one of Brian and Tracy's jobs is to lure Boyang into wanting to come to TCC. The gang going to the Great Wall together makes me wonder if that might not be the case. They are all getting to be friends.