Jason Brown | Page 700 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dreaded second post, but on a second topic....

I know many of us here remember the 70s and Jason has quite a ways to go to reach "Fro" status;)

And what is wrong with it? I loooooove :luv17: that hair:laugh:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I devoutly hope you’re wrong about the hair and that it’s just puffy from humidity. :drama:

I think it's just humidity and no hair product. His hair is very light compared to when he puts tamer on it. My brother has/had hair like that. He used to tame it with a knit watch cap after he washed it to keep it from going full "fro".

Ross74

Medalist
I devoutly hope you’re wrong about the hair and that it’s just puffy from humidity. :drama:

Haha. I do think that's very natural hair for him. It's possible the curls were being relaxed somewhat with the previous cuts and this is simply off-season hair that is in need of a trim. If he was going to turn into Garfunkel, it should have been last season. ;)

ETA: And as for Broadmoor, he skated that with no adjustment for jetlag, no time to adjust to altitude, and probably very little sleep.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Dreaded second post, but on a second topic....

I know many of us here remember the 70s and Jason has quite a ways to go to reach "Fro" status;)

And what is wrong with it? I loooooove :luv17: that hair:laugh:

If I recall, you also liked Juke. :devil:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I recall, you also liked Juke. :devil:

:laugh:

Guilty as charged. And I still do :)

Then again, I had a fro in 1976. Quite a bit bigger than where Jason is now. Along with my peasant skirt and macrame vest:cool:

So my taste can not be trusted;)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Ross74 and me :)

2015 US Nats SP "Juke"

I still think the moves in this program, rooted in African American dance traditions of the 40s, and the vibe of those moves, were perfect for this tune, so Imma not gonna change my mind on that;) But wow, as we've all noted when watching these older programs, Jason is so much faster and more confident today.

And now he looks all grown up, fro or no:eek:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
For Ross74 and me :)

2015 US Nats SP "Juke"

I still think the moves in this program, rooted in African American dance traditions of the 40s, and the vibe of those moves, were perfect for this tune, so Imma not gonna change my mind on that;) But wow, as we've all noted when watching these older programs, Jason is so much faster and more confident today.

And now he looks all grown up, fro or no:eek:

Since this program has never been a favorite of mine, I haven’t rewatched it much. It’s interesting to see it again after several years. I actually like the music, and I think you’re right that the choreography is really sophisticated.

In retrospect, I think what bothered me was that...he was a bit less sophisticated than the program at that point, and some places in the choreography - like the sprinkler - really highlight that. I’d like to see what he could do with it now, because I have a feeling his interpretation would be a little more nuanced and the choreo would benefit from the increased speed, power, and deeper edges he could bring to it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I like Juke too. :eek:: Just not as well as Love Is a *****.

Thanks for posting it. I have not watched it for a while. :love:

noskates

Record Breaker
I forgot how much I enjoyed Juke and I also forgot Jason had a Tano lutz (but then I'm old and forgetful) I think this SP personifies all that's fun about Jason. I love his interpretation of mor serious music but this is just pure Jason and his personality. Rohene really always brings out the best in him.

As for his hair - I still miss the ponytail but am more interested in what he does with his feet.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I watched pretty recently in a binge of old program and it’s still my least favorite competitive program. He skated it well, the choreography was good and has loads of complexity but I just think his extroverted personality just didn’t work for the style.

I think Rohene often threw programs that were above Jason’s ability, both from a interpretation and technical aspect. I think the result we had programs that were done well enough and really good objectively but weren’t quite there. But I think over time Jason learn to assert himself (and also developed more of a style his own) and Rohene was not as overbearing with his style and were seeing the fruit of this now.

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I had completely forgotten Juke. I do remember the Tano Lutz, and the comment that if he got the quad he'd be dangerous internationally. Sadly, the 2016 back injury derailed everything and he's still in the process of recovering that momentum. He was so good at Skate America 2016, but that under-rotation call and the subsequent injury really seemed to sap his confidence. Love is a B**** gave it back. I think Jason and Rohene work together as fellow adults now and it shows. If he connects with the FS this year, maybe the magic will return! I hope so! As I've said before, Jason IS skating for me. I have developed other favorites as well, but Jason IS skating.

Ross74

Medalist
Any news which challenger series Jason will be going to? Is it really Nebelhorn?
No official news yet, but I have no reason to doubt the press release put out by Oberstdorf.

Haha, thanks! :agree: I just watched this and one thing that stood out is how relaxed he seemed at the beginning and throughout the skate. This routine oozed confidence. He was so well prepared for this competition.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
No official news yet, but I have no reason to doubt the press release put out by Oberstdorf.

Haha, thanks! :agree: I just watched this and one thing that stood out is how relaxed he seemed at the beginning and throughout the skate. This routine oozed confidence. He was so well prepared for this competition.

What is so amusing to me is that initial oh gosh gee whiz shucks they like me vibe he gives off when he first comes out. :)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I seem to remember it was noted Rohene created Juke to honor Little Walter and his seminal jazz career in Chicago; wish I could find the quote... Jason was happy to do the program and Little Walter's family was delighted with the program.. nice, too, that they (Jason & Rohene) chose to represent American jazz in this way.. not enough of it IMHO. Attached Wikipedia bio of Little Walter..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Walter

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What is so amusing to me is that initial oh gosh gee whiz shucks they like me vibe he gives off when he first comes out. :)

I also noticed that the squeezed eyes, averted look when the scores were posted was not there. That must have come after he got injured and started to score less well. Glad that Brian and co. got him over that! But it signals the lack of confidence that he was beset with after 2016.

Ross74

Medalist
According to @oniceperspective's current Insta Stories, Jordan was filming Jason in Toronto this week. :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to @oniceperspective's current Insta Stories, Jordan was filming Jason in Toronto this week. :)

Yaaaaaas:yes2:

although I do need to say, the first time I read the post, I thought Jason’s sister was filming, not Jordan Cowan:eek:: and I was expecting dancing through Toronto.....