Jason Brown | Page 788 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think the new base values for those jumps will definitely help Jason as it diminishes the importance of those quads. Maybe cooler heads have realized that men's figure skating (and apparently women's as well) is becoming more of a jump exercise and less of everything else. I think going to the extreme isn't always good. I think any quad is beautiful if it's done well. Most of them aren't done well and can ruin a program. My opinion, of course, but there are many fans who disagree with me. I like to see a well-balanced program with a sense of musicality and nice presentation. Not everybody is going to be a Jason but there are many who can at least strive for that level of presentation instead of just going out and zooming from one jump to another with a poorly executed spin in between. By lowering the base value of a few quads it might force skaters to only put jumps in their programs that they can actually do. I've never agreed with giving points for a failed quad just because it was attempted.

I think the mandatory GOE -5 for a fall on a jump has already moved things in that direction. The latest changes won't make as much difference at that one did.

And I agree that a bad quad is a bad jump. I think GOEs for quads are generally too generous. And don't get me started on the effect of quads on PC scores.

noskates

Record Breaker
Awww Nana, you and I could have a good ol' hoedown talking about quads and pcs. There are some very top elite skaters that get ridiculous PCS scores because of those jumps - even when they're done badly. Yes, yes, yes, I'm prejudiced but I think Jason's pcs are earned with his skating skills and presentation. But that isn't always the case with others. In a perfect skating world presentation should count as much as athleticism. Maybe we're trending toward that with these changes. One can only hope.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It was super fun. I had not known before that he did theater, though it makes perfect sense. His expressions game at the end was totally endearing. He's clearly still in Chicago. I expect that he'll be headed back to Toronto soonish. I love the way Jason interviews the interviewers in these sessions. He's totally interested in what they do and how they do it. He has certainly kept busy this past few months. His comment that Illinois was still completely closed, would indicate that the photo that was posted was not a Chicago area rink or that it was taken a while back. It's possible he went to a rink in Wisconsin. But he didn't mention it, so I am skeptical.

He's got so much personality. It's hard to imagine him hiding behind a plant. But he's clearly gotten over his very shy ways.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I know that a few rinks in the Chicago area have opened in a limited way, including the one where Jason worked with Ro before Nats and one where he and Gracie used to train sometimes. Whether he’s back on the ice yet, I can’t say.

Ross74

Medalist
This Zoom session was filmed a week ago, so with Jason mentioning that IL rinks might open at the end of the week, I think he and Ro could have been in the Chicago area on Thursday.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know that a few rinks in the Chicago area have opened in a limited way, including the one where Jason worked with Ro before Nats and one where he and Gracie used to train sometimes. Whether he’s back on the ice yet, I can’t say.

It is possible that rinks could be open for private sessions by last Thursday. I'm just surprised that he didn't mention it anywhere. On the other hand, he hasn't been doing any personal posting at all, so that makes it more plausible. I expect that he'll be back in Toronto by the end of the month. Even our hard hit county is headed to Phase 2 reopening tomorrow.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This Zoom session was filmed a week ago, so with Jason mentioning that IL rinks might open at the end of the week, I think he and Ro could have been in the Chicago area on Thursday.

If that session is a week old, then yes, he could be training with Ro somewhere local. He was definitely planning a new short.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I post this with a little hesitation, because I want to keep our happy Jason corner happy, but...

on Adam Rippon's "clapback post" on IG, Jason posted with emojis of three applauding hands. :)

Quite a number of other skaters posted approving comments. Among the TCC skaters, Zhenya said she would take lessons on how to deal with the haters, Lilian Binzari called him a king, Conrad Orzel posted a heart emoji. Some are rather amusing. Ricky Dornbush in particular takes no prisoners.

But this is about Jason. Yay Jason:clap:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I post this with a little hesitation, because I want to keep our happy Jason corner happy, but...

on Adam Rippon's "clapback post" on IG, Jason posted with emojis of three applauding hands. :)

Quite a number of other skaters posted approving comments. Among the TCC skaters, Zhenya said she would take lessons on how to deal with the haters, Lilian Binzari called him a king, Conrad Orzel posted a heart emoji. Some are rather amusing. Ricky Dornbush in particular takes no prisoners.

But this is about Jason. Yay Jason:clap:

I had not seen Jason's response, but am so glad that he did respond. Jason has been an ongoing target of this bigoted commentator. It's time someone called him out! YAY Adam! YAY Jason! Yay to all other skaters and people of good will who love skating and deplore haters.

noskates

Record Breaker
The thing about Adam is he doesn't have a filter and he generally speaks outloud what others are thinking. Yagudin's criticism was mean and unfounded with respect to Jason. He diminished everything that Jason's skating represents and did it in a particulary heinous and repeated way. It's very refreshing to me to see other skaters stand up against homophobic and cruel remarks. Yaz is a typical bully - he'll choose out someone he knows won't fight back. It's difficult to "turn the other cheek" when attacked but it's the measure of Jason's strength and character that he's able to do that.

Thank you Adam. :agree:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The thing about Adam is he doesn't have a filter and he generally speaks outloud what others are thinking. Yagudin's criticism was mean and unfounded with respect to Jason. He diminished everything that Jason's skating represents and did it in a particulary heinous and repeated way. It's very refreshing to me to see other skaters stand up against homophobic and cruel remarks. Yaz is a typical bully - he'll choose out someone he knows won't fight back. It's difficult to "turn the other cheek" when attacked but it's the measure of Jason's strength and character that he's able to do that.

Thank you Adam. :agree:

Adam is brilliant. The remarks made about him were unwarranted, the words of a bully, a bigot and a narcissist. Adam called him on it, because he crossed a line. And he exacted exquisite retaliation. Zhenya is not the only Russian skater to speak out. Lisa did also. Those two ladies are phenomenal. And they've both felt the scorn of the intolerance in their country. They have courage. I'm glad that Jason never dignified the obnoxious remarks made about him. He just keeps skating better. He does what he does really well, far better than his detractor ever did.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some familiar faces celebrated their first week back on ice at Fox Valley Ice Arena with a group photo in the lobby area -- posted yesterday on Instastory.
Jason (wearing skates) is in the photo. He is tagged (and the skaters are not wearing masks :no:).
It's the rink outside Chicago that is home to Brubaker and Berton's group. (Although B and B are not in the photo; nor is Rohene, BTW.)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Some familiar faces celebrated their first week back on ice at Fox Valley Ice Arena with a group photo in the lobby area -- posted yesterday on Instastory.
Jason (wearing skates) is in the photo. He is tagged (and the skaters are not wearing masks :no:).
It's the rink outside Chicago that is home to Brubaker and Berton's group. (Although B and B are not in the photo; nor is Rohene, BTW.)

I guess it is no longer available. Happy that he is back on the ice. Hope it's safe!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm getting increasingly concerned that Jason is going to be stuck in Chicago for some time yet and away from TCC and Brian and Tracey.