Jason Brown | Page 789 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm getting increasingly concerned that Jason is going to be stuck in Chicago for some time yet and away from TCC and Brian and Tracey.

There is no way of knowing at this point. Rika Kihira is joining the group as well and is waiting for permission to enter. With numbers rising in parts of the US, Canada may not want to open the borders just yet. We'll see! Jason did say that he was hoping to be back in Toronto by the end of June. If they let him cross, he will have to quarantine for 2 weeks. I think someone said that the borders may open on June 22nd, but that can change. That's the earliest possible date. I'm sure he's concerned too.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At first, I was slightly nervous too about the fact that Jason may not see TCC until August at this point, even though he can skate in Chicago.

But sadly the season itself is a question mark right now (and I realize, as someone still living in a “yellow” zone, that this is the least of many worries. But I am a skating fan, and it makes me sad :sad21: )

I am holding out hope for Nats and Worlds.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
At first, I was slightly nervous too about the fact that Jason may not see TCC until August at this point, even though he can skate in Chicago.

But sadly the season itself is a question mark right now (and I realize, as someone still living in a “yellow” zone, that this is the least of many worries. But I am a skating fan, and it makes me sad :sad21: )

I am holding out hope for Nats and Worlds.

I think everyone is hoping for that. I don't see how they can do GPs, but they may come up with an original idea for this season. It's really one day at a time. The most important thing is keeping the entire skating community as safe as possible. The rest comes after that. I hope that they create content out of training sessions. Anything so that we can see how the skaters are doing.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I was worried in the beginning when it looked like Jason wasn't even getting any ice time, but at least it appears that he's getting some ice in the chicago area. I'm sure he knows how to readjust to the ice and is capable of training without coaches for a bit - and I imagine he is still in contact with his coaches on a weekly, if not daily basis virtually. Obviously I hope the skaters can get an exemption to cross the borders (even if they have to quarantine for a fortnight) soon, but with so much uncertainty over whether there'll even be a season this year, I don't feel too worried right now.

Ross74

Medalist
I was worried in the beginning when it looked like Jason wasn't even getting any ice time, but at least it appears that he's getting some ice in the chicago area. I'm sure he knows how to readjust to the ice and is capable of training without coaches for a bit - and I imagine he is still in contact with his coaches on a weekly, if not daily basis virtually. Obviously I hope the skaters can get an exemption to cross the borders (even if they have to quarantine for a fortnight) soon, but with so much uncertainty over whether there'll even be a season this year, I don't feel too worried right now.

It would bother me more if Jason were the only high-ranking TCC skater not able to cross the border, but since that's obviously not the case, and since there is evidence of him now having access to ice, that's moved me to more of a it is what it is position.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I hate to say it but... i would not be surprised if he does not return until post champs camp. That might be the most practical rather than doing quarantine twice (or three times, but I don't think Colorado cares about people coming from Canada)

For that matter... is champs camp happening?

Ross74

Medalist
I hate to say it but... i would not be surprised if he does not return until post champs camp. That might be the most practical rather than doing quarantine twice (or three times, but I don't think Colorado cares about people coming from Canada)

For that matter... is champs camp happening?

Good question about Champs Camp. I hope they don't have it. What's the point? Why make skaters lose another week of training just to do team-building activities when they've already lost so much ice time?. Seriously, what else would they be doing there? Nobody knows if there will be a competitive season. Will the skaters even have programs to demonstrate? Plus, why make them travel by air during a pandemic? It makes no sense to hold it this year.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would think that Champs Camp is unlikely this year. If Jason isn't back in Toronto by the end of the month, then it's time to be concerned. I don't think any of the top skaters are there yet. The coaches are working with more local skaters right now. Tracy mentioned that they were working with younger skaters and were permitted very limited occupancy.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think there'll be a Champs Camp this year. The ISU won't even make a call on SkAm until 1 August (which I don't get; just cancel it now, the US is clearly sunk), and there are not assignments yet to even determine who would be at Champs Camp.

Apple1078

Final Flight
I think Champs Camp was held at the USFS rink in Irvine, California, last year. But not sure how Champs Camp could even take place this year.

I agree. Just give us Nats. :)

eaglehelang

Final Flight
There is no way of knowing at this point. Rika Kihira is joining the group as well and is waiting for permission to enter. With numbers rising in parts of the US, Canada may not want to open the borders just yet. We'll see! Jason did say that he was hoping to be back in Toronto by the end of June. If they let him cross, he will have to quarantine for 2 weeks. I think someone said that the borders may open on June 22nd, but that can change. That's the earliest possible date. I'm sure he's concerned too.

So, it all depends when Canada government will open borders for non Canadians to enter? Earliest date=22 June?
Hopefully all TCC non Canadians are able to apply to enter.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I believe that the hold up for re-entry will be solely based on the border crossing status, at least for Jason. He can drive there, so he doesn't have to take the risk of flying. Normally most of the rest of the elite skaters would be doing shows this month anyway and not planning to be back there until early to mid July. But given the lack of shows and access to ice that most have had, they'll be anxious to get back into training asap. I think at this point the goal will be a potential World's, Nats and the Olympics for most of the athletes.

They did hold Champs Camp in Cali last year. No idea what they had in mind for this year. I don't see it happening this summer, if at all. If there is no GP or Challenger season, Champs camp is meaningless. It will all be sorted out at Nationals, if Nationals is able to be held in January. And that will depend on many factors. My personal opinion is that sports should be canceled for 2020 and re-assessed for 2021. Hopefully there will be a vaccine by the end of the year that is effective enough to make travel and competition and spectators safe from viral plague.

Ross74

Medalist
I think Champs Camp was held at the USFS rink in Irvine, California, last year. But not sure how Champs Camp could even take place this year.

I agree. Just give us Nats. :)

I believe a USFS rep said that the Champs Camp move to Irvine last year was a one-year tryout with an eye towards making it permanent. It was due to altitude issues in Colorado Springs.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So, it all depends when Canada government will open borders for non Canadians to enter? Earliest date=22 June?
Hopefully all TCC non Canadians are able to apply to enter.

It's just been extended to July 21.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/border-covid-extension-july-1.5613854

Assuming there will be a skating season, at some point someone needs to lobby the Government of Canada to add the elite figure skaters to the "admit with 14-day self-isolation" list. If the farmers could get the fruit pickers added, it seems like there's little risk to adding a small number of elite figure skaters (and the money they bring to the Canadian economy).

Ross74

Medalist
It's just been extended to July 21.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/border-covid-extension-july-1.5613854

Assuming there will be a skating season, at some point someone needs to lobby the Government of Canada to add the elite figure skaters to the "admit with 14-day self-isolation" list. If the farmers could get the fruit pickers added, it seems like there's little risk to adding a small number of elite figure skaters (and the money they bring to the Canadian economy).

Wow. Thanks for the news. My first reaction was "Ugh", but they have to do what they think is best for their citizens. I do hope they might consider adding skaters to the admit list.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't know how commercial traffic is defined, but Figure Skating is a business and skaters are essential to it. So if non essential businesses are allowed to resume operation and the source of income depends on skater clients crossing the border, there might be an exemption for that? But with the US handling this so badly, it might make it very hard for Jason to get back in. Skaters from other countries might have an easier time of it. I think Vincent Zhou stayed in Canada for the duration. But I think most of the TCC group left. It's hard to know how this will work out. The border closing between the US and Canada could be further extended beyond July given the lack of common sense and federal oversight that is allowing the virus to continue doing its damage. It's a waiting game.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe a USFS rep said that the Champs Camp move to Irvine last year was a one-year tryout with an eye towards making it permanent. It was due to altitude issues in Colorado Springs.

I had forgotten about the California Champs Camp last year.:dumb:

How could I, with Jason and his concussion:eek: Better they should stay away....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I think Vincent Zhou stayed in Canada for the duration. ...

I am 99% sure that Vincent Z unfortunately is in the same boat as Jason -- meaning unable to cross from the U.S. into Canada.

When the border was closed in March, Vincent got "stuck" (his word) in Colorado, to which he had traveled right after the cancellation/postponement of Worlds. He had gone there to get show choreo.
Vincent still was in Colorado in late May ... although I do not remember whether I have seen anything of him since then, I assume that he has not attempted to enter Canada.

ETA:

Per article published on Jun 5:

Zhou ... will be getting back to the grind with Barkell in preparation for the upcoming season as soon as he is able to cross the US/Canadian border. He is currently training at the Broadmoor Arena in Colorado Springs.

Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates did remain in Montreal all along, and yesterday they were able to return to ice there.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But Hawak/Baker went to her parents home/cottage in the Buffalo area, if I recall correctly from the Open Ice fundraiser.

When this whole thing started, going home made sense, especially for those skaters who are single. Spending months alone in near lock-down in a foreign country could be very depressing, not to mention potential problems with medical insurance.

By the way, Satoko seems to be in Canada. I have no idea how she got back in of if she's been here all along. I just know I saw video of her with Gabby Daleman in front of an arena that seems to be doing a booming business renting ice to elite figure skaters who are still out of their usual rinks.