Javier Fernandez | Page 175 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I finally watched the interview with Plushy. I was suprised when Zhenya publicly declared he wants to skate in show in Spain! Good for Javi :biggrin:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm slightly dissapointed Javi opted for competing in Japan Open again... couldn't he do some Challenger in Europe or in Canada instead?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I'm slightly dissapointed Javi opted for competing in Japan Open again... couldn't he do some Challenger in Europe or in Canada instead?

Maybe because that is more like a fun event? Besides, those Japan Open events seem to be very popular, it is nicer for skaters to perform for a full audience. Just thinking of e.g. Finlandia Trophy, with a small audience. Unless of course if Hanyu is there, in that case there will be plenty of fans from Japan :).

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Back to Spain and back to doing a bit of publicity. He will be on Spanish TV on Saturday evening (http://www.rtve.es/television/no-es-un-sabado-cualquiera/).

Here's the teaser showing Javi doing a bit of acting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFW1nC3NN1I

Based on this he might have a career also as an actor?!

E

His eyes at the end :love: :love: :love:

Maybe because that is more like a fun event? Besides, those Japan Open events seem to be very popular, it is nicer for skaters to perform for a full audience. Just thinking of e.g. Finlandia Trophy, with a small audience. Unless of course if Hanyu is there, in that case there will be plenty of fans from Japan :).
It'll be fun for sure. But he won't hear opinions of judges about his programs there. And I really counted he would do some Challenger in case he had to do some adjustments to his programs, so he wouldn't have to do that during GP series.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Here's the teaser showing Javi doing a bit of acting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFW1nC3NN1I

Based on this he might have a career also as an actor?!

E

Oh my, he was really good!!! And his good looks won´t hurt, LOL. He definitely could have a career there as well.

And Cathlen, I agree with you He would need to hear the opinion of the judges before GP starts. I guess we just have to trust that David Wilson will do a better choreography than Elvis was (which got high PCS).

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Javi's future plan depends on what happens at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics? :confused:

2020? Those are the summer Olympics, so no figure skating there. Tbh, as much as I dread it, I think this will be Javi's last season. But I'm sure he will have a great pro career, and we can't forget his goal of becoming a coach! If he stays for a while with Brian to learn from him before heading back to Spain (because it's clear he misses his country a lot), can you imagine him in the K&C with other TCC skaters? :biggrin:

DelRetiro

On the Ice
2020? Those are the summer Olympics, so no figure skating there. Tbh, as much as I dread it, I think this will be Javi's last season. But I'm sure he will have a great pro career, and we can't forget his goal of becoming a coach! If he stays for a while with Brian to learn from him before heading back to Spain (because it's clear he misses his country a lot), can you imagine him in the K&C with other TCC skaters? :biggrin:

Javi has been hinting at retirement for quite some time now. I've often heard him talk about how long he's been doing this and how "old" (ha! I'm twice his age) he is. Javi will absolutely light it up in his pro career. With his good looks, showmanship, and charisma, he will be a superstar in the professional ranks. I was never a fan of pro or exhibition skating until I saw Javi's "Touch of Evil" and "Danny Boy" numbers. If I had a chance to see Javi in a professional show, I will absolutely high-tail it to the rink. Frankly, I hope Javi makes some big bucks in the pro ranks because he hasn't made much as an eligible skater. I saw an interview with him where he said as of 2014 that he was still losing money as a skater. And as for his future coaching career, I have no doubt that he'll be a fantastic coach. He clearly loves working with kids and gets a real boost from doing whatever he can to help his fellow skaters. Just ask Gabrielle Daleman or Yuzuru Hanyu. Of course, I hope Javi gets an Olympic medal (gold, please, fingers crossed) because he's my favorite skater. But whatever happens, I hope his final season turns out in a way that Javi will be happy with.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think Javi said next Olympics and the reporter could only think of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and it was so written.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
No surprise that Javi is speaking/hinting of retirement, considering that he started to compete at Europeans and Worlds in the 2006-07 season and 2018 will be his 3rd Olympics.

I will miss his skating terribly, but it is a consolation that his skating will still be seen from various shows. Such an entertaining talent will get plenty of invitations.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Good thing he wants to compete at Worls after Olympics :hap10: But I understand if he will retire after next season, athelete's life is demanding one. I just hope he will do more shows then :biggrin: Thanks for all links and translations :thank:

tureis

On the Ice
I refuse to contemplate the idea of Javi's sadly expected retirement yet and doing my best to focus on how excited I am for next season! And I'm very pleased to hear he wants that Worlds medal back, because he's the reason I'm going to Milan. And Moscow. And Grenoble. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I refuse to contemplate the idea of Javi's sadly expected retirement yet and doing my best to focus on how excited I am for next season! And I'm very pleased to hear he wants that Worlds medal back, because he's the reason I'm going to Milan. And Moscow. And Grenoble. :)

The same. I shall stay in De Nile until he actually does retire - and I'm not sure I'll quite believe it then either.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
On Javi's Instagram, he said he would appear on the Spanish TV show "No es un sabado cualquiera" Program 3. I just checked the RTVE.es website, and only Program 2 (last week's show) is available. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Program 3 gets uploaded sometime tomorrow. The reason I was so keen to see it is that Javi shared a picture of him in a Charlie Chaplin costume, so I got all excited that maybe he was going to give a sneak preview of his new SP. But after reading a description of the show: http://www.rtve.es/rtve/20170623/ja...o-invitado-no-sabado-cualquiera/1569582.shtml
that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, however.

Because the show is geo-blocked if you go straight to the website, I'm hoping that I can watch it by means of a VPN and the RTVE app on my tablet. For whatever reason, the VPN doesn't work on my laptop. I'll report back tomorrow if my tablet trick works :gclap: or not :drama:

tureis

On the Ice
I caught part of the show on live stream, and while that didn't include the Chaplin segment seen on the photo, judging by the size of the ice Javi skated other bits on, he definitely couldn't have performed an actual program. I didn't struggle through the 2+ hour show on stream, but it will actually be aired on TVE International in my country with a week delay, so if the Javi related segments don't end up online until next Saturday, I can record and upload them.

But regardless of what Chaplin stuff Javi did yesterday, we do already have his full Modern Times SP on video, from Fantasy on Ice.