Javier Fernandez | Page 164 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm still not getting over the final result at Worlds in Helsinki and haven't touched the whole FS video at all. Because of Fuji TV's blocking of all the videos on YouTube and Dailymotion (I usually collect clips for missed events without any spolier), I unwillingly had to click the result page, and them boom...I couldn't accept the fact that Javi was off the podium. I was devastated for that, so also missed the whole FD segment as well. I'm relieve to hear that Javi seems to move on from the experience and planed to do for the Olympic season, but I'm still very sad and have no courage to click and watch the men's FS segment. Sorry for me being such a downer.

I understand you. After Anna's disaster program I wanted to shut off TV. If Javi wasn't the last one to skate, I would probably have the same urge. No need to torment yourself :console:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I understand you. After Anna's disaster program I wanted to shut off TV. If Javi wasn't the last one to skate, I would probably have the same urge. No need to torment yourself :console:

I turned off the stream immediately after Anna knelt and started crying on the ice, because I couldn't bear the tragic moment at all, so the rest of the ladies' event was only gotten from the result page too. Too sad about my two favorites. Thanks for the consolation, cathlen.

tureis

On the Ice
There's a post-FS interview with Javi in Hungarian from Helsinki. Google Translate is mostly useless with Hungarian, but here it is for those who would like to give it a try. (Although the interview will hopefully also appear soon enough in English on Absolute Skating.)

Javi was asked about increasing his technical content for next season. He ruled out adding for example another 4T, which would need to happen at the expense of a 3A, and mean too much risk for too little reward. He said they will have to think about this but right now he sees keeping his current 3 quads. Regarding the 4Lo he said he has never trained it regularly and has fallen on most tries, only landed it a few times. He also said one can never know, he may give it a try in preparation for next season and keep working on it if it goes well. But ultimately the question is whether he will need 4 quads or remain with 3 if he skates well.

Interesting comments about being under pressure as Spain's biggest hope at the Olympics (and not exactly as he would put it to Spanish media for example): he said he has already done a lot for figure skating in Spain and has had a dream career, and can be satisfied even if he never wins anything going forward.

He also mentioned mental preparation to fight pressure. He said normally he doesn't need too much special preparation and they will continue with their regular work here, but if something happens during next season or they feel he needs extra help, they will turn to a sport psychologist.

:agree: It was such a pleasure indeed to share each happy and sad moment with you and evergreen! Hopefully many more happy to come than sad! :)

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Javi is back in Toronto looking quite happy and relaxed. In a Cope radio interview he said that they will start working on the new programs already towards the end of this month - so the musics have been selected and all is set and ready. It will be interesting to see whether one of them gets introduced in the shows in the summer (like Black Betty in 2014). I am also curious to see how much information they will let out on what kind of music they will use...

I wrote out a translation of the radio interview for Javi fans who don't speak Spanish. A few caveats: I never translate word-for-word, rather, I try to put things the way a native English speaker would say them. In a couple of parts where they got a bit wordy/repetitious, I plead guilty to laziness & just paraphrased. Also, in a couple of spots where I missed a word or two, I just took a guess as to what exactly they said. And as I've stated before, I'm not a professional translator, or anywhere near! But I figure a less-than-U.N.-standards translation is better than nothing, right? :agree:

Host: Let's leave soccer and go to the disappointment of the day. We all had faith that Javier Fernandez would end up world champion in Helsinki for the third year in a row, especially after the short program Thursday but it didn't turn out that way. He has always been super-nice to talk with us after a win, but we wanted to talk to him even after the result was quite different. Javier Fernandez, from Finland. Javi, good evening, how are you?
Javier Fernandez: Good evening!
Host: How are you doing?
JF: Very well, here we are, nighttime in Helsinki.
Host: Have you gotten past the sadness? Or not?
JF: Well, it wasn't really sadness but something of a lesson, so that it doesn't happen again.
Host: OK, I have to admit we've usually met up with you while you're enjoying success. Now that things didn't go well for you, we see that you deal with the situation with the same attitude.
JF: Yes, you also have to know when life slaps you in the face, if you'll forgive the expression.
Host: Of course, man. Anyway, what happened? Because you were coming off a fabulous short program, that you performed magnificently on Thursday, which really made us hope that you'd win the title. What happened today?
JF: Well, of course I wanted the same thing. But things don't always turn out like we hope. It was a difficult day, this morning we had quite an early workout, and then a 3-hour wait from the workout to the start of the competition, which isn't the norm in this sport. And at the start of the free skate, the big problem was that we had a 6-minute warm-up and then, since I was the last of the group, I had a 45-minute wait from the warm-up until it was my turn to skate. In that 45 minutes, all the skaters in my group skated, and unfortunately I heard if they did well, if they did poorly. Normally, we don't know the scores, we hear stuff like how's the ice, if things are running on time or not. Instead, during this time, I heard how the other skaters fared, and I think all that information got into my head a bit, and when it was time to skate, it affected me a bit.
Host: OK, you came out feeling pressured, most of all after the skate of your training partner Yuzuru Hanyu.
JF: Right, right, he achieved a world-record score, and I knew that before going out to skate. At that point, it got into my head. I was like can I do better? or not? If I don't score better, will I end up first? second? When you go into a competition with that stuff in your head, it's not ideal, just not ideal.
Host: OK, you explained the situation very clearly. We also have [name of 2nd host, didn't catch it] here, but before we get to him, I gotta tell ya, your sport, forgive me for saying this, is torture. OK, it's not, it's a great sport, but watching it is torture. I was watching your skate with my mother-in-law, my wife, and my 4-year-old daughter, and it was 5 minutes of anguish. You might be having a tough time, obviously, or maybe you're enjoying it. But watching it is horrible. Every time you go into a jump, I freeze up like is he going to land it? is he going to fall? Five minutes of that, you're asking yourself why you're putting yourself through the torture of watching this??
JF: [laughs] Well, that's been my whole life, so imagine. And my family as well [host interjects an expletive] they can't believe this is my life. It's a sport of suffering, on an individual level and in general. You never know what's going to happen, and you might you think have things under control, but then splat! Sometimes this sport has you so hooked, because you never know what's going to happen at any moment. Maybe that's part of the beauty of the sport, never knowing how things will turn out.
Host: Here's a solution - cut it down to 30 seconds
JF: Just stick with the short program!
Host: And that's that.
Host #2: If you (referring to Host #1) were like that, imagine Javi's family, his father, Enriqueta ... that's something I want to see, Javi atop the Olympic podium, to get rid of today's disappointment. I was wondering how much Hanyu's amazing skate affected you, since he got a world-record free skate score and almost broke his own record for highest combined score. I was also wondering if you were affected by ... normally before the free skate you take a nap, but today you weren't able to. Did that make things worse, on top of all the pressure and nerves?
JF: From first thing in the morning, with such an early workout, then three hours between the workout and the start of the free skate, whereas there's normally a much longer gap between the two. But this competition wasn't like that. But we can't say it was poor scheduling because the schedule is what it is, and we have to deal with it. That's what we had to do, we had to change our routine. Sure, I normally take a nap before the long program but I couldn't because there was only a 3-hour gap. But hey, you have to figure things out because you never know how things will be. That's sport.
Host 2: If listening to the scores affected you, the next time, plug in the headphones.
JF: I thought about that. In a few competitions, I did hear the scores and it didn't end up bothering me, until this competition. I don't know why. Something to think about, what's better: putting on headphones or just doing what I normally do and see what happens.
Host 2: The headphones idea comes from Dad (I assume he's referring to Javi's dad). That's his suggestion.
Host 1: Hey, Javi, what now, rest? I would think so, take some time off.
JF: The whole month of April I'm in Toronto because I have to work on the new routines for the Olympic season.
Host 1: Next year is jam-packed - Europeans, Worlds, Olympics, everything.
JF: Everything
Host 2: And all in 3 months
JF: Yes, plus we also have the Grand Prix competitions and the Grand Prix Finals. Really, the only additional competition is the Olympics.
Host 1: [Expletive] no big deal, no big deal. Hey Javi, we want you to know that we're still big fans even if today didn't turn out well, it is what it is, but stick with it, and surely next time will be better. Thank you, and a big hug.
JF: A big hug for you guys.
Host 2: Kisses, kisses!

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
He has such a great attitude towards wins and losses and life. It is nice that he has everything in perspective and is realistic. It is also nice to hear how much gratitude Gabby Daleman gives Javi, saying he convinced her that she was good enough to medal at world's. What a super nice person and supportive training partner... and we already know how much credit Yuzu gives him.

I remember last year at this time he was in Japan for shows already and it was a very busy off season. I think it is very smart that he paces himself more this time around. Yes, the result was nasty but you learn and move on.

And being a cat fan, im happy for Effi that daddy is home for a month :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
DelRetiro, thanks so much for the translation!!! That was really interesting and kind of different one.

I hope that Javi will realize the schedule of the Olympics soon and will be prepared for it. Of course his coaches will take care of that.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Thanks for the this translation, DelRetiro!

I wished to see Javi and Yuzuru together on the podium again (it's been over a year since they shared the podium), but things didn't turn out well this time. After he struggled with Malaguena in the first half of the season, he put it all together at Euros and Worlds, on the other hand it was the opposite with his FS: he skated it well at TdF and CoR but then it got worse by the second half of the season. I'm sure it's been a long and tiring season for him, also I think he will learn a lot from these experiences at Worlds. And that will come back stronger for next season. :)

beki

Medalist
Not that I want to turn the page too quickly, but I feel great anticipation for Javier's future as a coach. He seems to be able to inspire and encourage other skaters (Gabby, Yuzu) in an extraordinary way. To lead people to believe in themselves is so difficult, yet he already knows how.

tureis

On the Ice
^^ Indeed. It's one of the things mentioned in NBC's post-Worlds interview with Brian.

Brian is asked about Javi's programs for next season, which he refuses to hint about, but says they've had the ideas for a year and they will be pretty special. Argh, I want to know!! :biggrin:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't know if this was posted already, but Javi will be performing in Boston this weekend as part of Ice Chips.

Tickets are $33 and $38 at any of the 3 performances, April 8-9, 2017.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
As most of the announced music pieces for the Olympic season programs seem to be warhorses, new and old ones, I sure am hoping for something rather special for Javi... No Swan Lake, please, nor Nutcracker (although he would make an awfully handsome prince :biggrin:) nor POTO nor....

Here, on the other hand, he is in a Spanish program on his favourite pastime (from last night; shot during the rehearsals for RevolutiOn Ice).

E

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As most of the announced music pieces for the Olympic season programs seem to be warhorses, new and old ones, I sure am hoping for something rather special for Javi... No Swan Lake, please, nor Nutcracker (although he would make an awfully handsome prince :biggrin:) nor POTO nor....

E

A warhorse is not a bad idea, since there is a reason why some piece of music has become one, LOL. POTO or Swan Lake don´t allow him to dance the way he e.g. did in Guys and Dolls. A kind of lively swing would be great for him or maybe even West Side Story (America, and the dancing they did at the gym)...

Thanks for the video clip, Eppen!

evergreen

On the Ice
Audience usually respond to warhorse music well, plus novelty has its risks, together with the difficulties to produce on command under the restrictions of COP system , which skaters and their team try to avoid as much as they could, especially in the Olympic season. I don't mind recycling overused music, so long as the programs are created smartly, while the skaters give them a magical touch of fresh air, for example, I/K Swan lake, Sasha Cohen' s Romeo & Juliet, and of course, our beloved Javi's Malaguena.

I don't think David Wilson will choose POTO, he declined Yuzu's request for this particular piece of music. I love to see Javier dressed like a Prince in tight pants, but he is too charming to play a Prince who is easily seduced by a black swan. Plus, although his upper body movement has improved a lot, he is not balletic.

It seems Javi' team has saved the best choice for the important season, I simply wish they won't make the silly mistake like they did with Peter Gunn.

通过我的 VIE-L29 上的 Tapatalk发言

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Guys and Dolls was a SUPERB warhorse for Javi. How about Chocolat? Javi could do a great Johnny Depp look (before he did the Pirates movies and Willy Wonka).

I've always liked the "Newsies" soundtrack and Javi could work well with the music type, but I think he is a tad mature to interpret that story. I think that story is best for a 16-19 year old male skater.

tureis

On the Ice
Oh dear God, if I hear Phantom of the Opera one more time at a figure skating competition, especially sung by Gerard frigging Butler, I will catch the next spaceship Matt Damon takes to get left behind somewhere in space and just pray that it will take me far enough from that damn piece of music! :dev2::hpull::laugh:

I am fine with any warhorse music really, if done in a fresh and unique way as evergreen says, except for Phantom.

Oh and agreed, definitely no ballet prince program for Javi! :biggrin:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I've always liked the "Newsies" soundtrack and Javi could work well with the music type, but I think he is a tad mature to interpret that story. I think that story is best for a 16-19 year old male skater.

I agree. 4 years ago it'd be great choice for Sochi

I have nothing against Phantom but one more program with Romeo and Juliet and I'll ask some crazy scientist to freeze me until this soundtrack will be banned from figure skating.
Personally I'd like Javi to skate to Cole Porter's repertoire :biggrin:

tureis

On the Ice
Actually what I would love to see somebody have the guts to do a short program to is the Catch Me If You Can main theme! That is one amazing and unique piece of music to skate to! And obviously very daunting too because of the tempo, but it has great variations and the sort of highlight beats that David Wilson loves to emphasize in his choreographies.

Last edited: