Joannie Rochette 2010 Olympics | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette 2010 Olympics

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Heartbreaking. I cried with her in her SP. And was so relieved she held on to a medal. She was my favorite going into those Games, maybe not to win, but just the overall package. She was buff! Thanks for posting this!

russell30

Final Flight
She was still technically great for a few years after and i thought she looked good at the Japan Open in 2013 (hoping for a return!) for Sochi but did not happen (i think M Perron had retired! by then) Shame!!

trains

On the Ice
Joannie is now in medical school at McGill University in Montreal. She is well on her way to being Dr. Rochette.

Warwick360

Medalist
I still find it quite vexing when some people keep harping on about how Joannie won bronze because of the tragedy that struck her preceding the Olympics, discounting the fact that she had/has much better skating skills than Mirai. Also they fail to recognise how Joannie had much better programs (although one could say it is subjective) with much superior musicality. Lest we forget, she also had much greater quality jumps. :gaah:

steiner

Rinkside
I haven’t been able to watch her Vancouver performances since, they make me too sad. :( One of the most moving skating moments ever, though.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I still find it quite vexing when some people keep harping on about how Joannie won bronze because of the tragedy that struck her preceding the Olympics, discounting the fact that she had/has much better skating skills than Mirai. Also they fail to recognise how Joannie had much better programs (although one could say it is subjective) with much superior musicality. Lest we forget, she also had much greater quality jumps. :gaah:
It's also readily disprovable just by looking at Joannie's track record prior to competition. She wasn't some B-tier skater suddenly elevated from relative obscurity to the bronze medal position after her mother died. She was the reigning Worlds silver medalist and had medaled in the last three Four Continents tournaments, including back-to-back silvers (and this was at a moment when all of the action in ladies' skating was in the Four Continents subdivision). She ended up pretty much exactly where you would expect her to have based on her track record, in a contest where Asada doesn't blow it.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's also readily disprovable just by looking at Joannie's track record prior to competition. She wasn't some B-tier skater suddenly elevated from relative obscurity to the bronze medal position after her mother died. She was the reigning Worlds silver medalist and had medaled in the last three Four Continents tournaments, including back-to-back silvers (and this was at a moment when all of the action in ladies' skating was in the Four Continents subdivision). She ended up pretty much exactly where you would expect her to have based on her track record, in a contest where Asada doesn't blow it.

Exactly! With absolutely no Europeans of note except kostner for the enitre 2006-2010 period winning two silvers at 4CC was astounding an amazing! I was just looking at her performances because I was going through old TAPES! and found 2010 Olympic ladies long and not only was her performance their but the interview with Bob Costas! So that reminded me she was not a sympathy case! She was world silver medalist!! No one liked Andos cleopatra program. She was very slow and unenthusiastic at the Olympics. It’s very clear not only was rochette a podium frontrunner she ended up almost beating asada

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had a phone call from Joannie today! Really. Well, she was recorded, but she said it was her, and her voice is/was very recognizable. She is the face of the Canadian Heart and Stoke Foundation fundraising campaign. She recorded a message of thanks that was sent out to all the canvassers. Ain't technology wonderful.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I still admire her strongly 8 years later for what she did. Many ppl would not be able to focus too well considering the events.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

One can argue she had better or equal skating skills than Mao and Yuna. She just isn't stereotypically as lyrical as Yuna or Mao - again it isn't nationalistic but there are a group of Canadian ladies who when you watch their programs - artistry, skating skills, spins, jumps, footwork and arguably if they land their jumps they arguably were the best during their time or at least up there - Rochette, Chouinard, Manley, Osmond.