Johnny Be Robbed? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Johnny Be Robbed?

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
I watched his performance again on Youtube and was mesmerized by the beauty of it all over again.
He landed a triple triple in the second half of the program, and a triple double double. Each of these jumps had beautiful edges flowing in and out. He was not rewarded in the GoE scores for his jumps, compared to what was given to other skaters who had iffy jumps.

There is something wrong with the COP system if it doesn't give his performance a higher score than Chan and Lambiel's. But I think what is more accurate is that the scoring is not applied evenly, and when we see issues like this, we just say a program isn't "COP friendly" as a way to explain bad judging.

kareliz

Rinkside
I'm so sick of the whole "he has no transitions" mantra. His transitions score was 7.45. Evan's and Patrick "Mr. Transitions" Chan both had 7.95. Multiply the difference by a factor of two, and you only have his transitions one point behind the gold medalist. Second, his technical element score was higher than Chan, Takahashi, and Lambiel.

Basically, he was kept behind by the PCS scores, which is a travesty. To put his interpretation, choreography (his was definitely one of the most aesthetically well balanced programs in the competition), performance (Johnny not have finesse in his performance? what are we smoking?) and skating skills (we're told over and over by our own commentators that his technique is "pure") so far back was a deliberate move by the judges to keep him off the podium.

The ugly truth is that he had no chance. There was no way the powers that be were ever going to let him medal, even with the SOHL. No way two American men would be on the podium, especially THAT one. I think he was judged fairly when it came to TES (he did lip and his spin had that small error), but when it came to the subjective scores (qualities which I think are Johnny's strong suit and what makes him so popular worldwide), the judges screwed him royally. To put him behind Chan and Lambiel was a joke, and I think he should have taken bronze.

Thank you for explaining so perfectly. It is so irritating!! I am just very happy for Johnny that he skated so beautifully.

moscow

Rinkside
there should have been a MUCH bigger difference between him and Chan after the short. They screwed him there too. There is absolutely no reason that chan and lambiel were ahead of him. I don't freaking care about transitions and crap. Based on performance alone his was the best of the night. Two clean performances should earn better than 6th. I've completely lost faith in this judging system. This was supposed to take the subjectivity out of this sport. I'm afraid it's only made it worse. Atleast under the 6.0, clean performances were rewarding above falls. I think it would have been harder to justify Takahashi taking 4th than Johnny taking 3rd based on this judging system. If a skater can skate as well as Johnny and move us into tears and can't to better than 6th,,, I'm done. I have no reason to watch.

Germanice

On the Ice
Johnny has been sacrificed on the throne of that spoilt little brat, transition boy Chan.
Hometown candies from Uncle & Aunt Judge, you know? :p

Alatariel

On the Ice
Johnny has been sacrificed on the throne of that spoilt little brat, transition boy Chan.

Now, now, don't you know that Chan is the Chosen One? He's entitled to those marks as the perfect all round skater ... and the future of the sport ... and the divine transition-er ... and the divine being ... and all. Watch out god here comes Chan.

Germanice

On the Ice
Now, now, don't you know that Chan is the Chosen One? He's entitled to those marks as the perfect all round skater ... and the future of the sport ... and the divine transition-er ... and the divine being ... and all. Watch out god here comes Chan.

Ooooups, off with my head ... :bow: :bow: :bow: ... :p

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I find it funny that so many people have problems with Chan. How can you not like someone who is that adorable? Lol

Scout

Final Flight
I think Weir's performances are a good example of the biggest criticism of the CoP judging system. There is such a large disconnect between what the fans love to see on the ice, and the minutia of a quarter point for this and a tenth for that.

I couldn't agree more. Johnny was robbed, but he had a great attitude as far as I can tell about it, and that makes me love him and respect him that much more.

tarotx

On the Ice
Even in 6.0 beautiful skates were considered less difficult and so scored as less difficult. That is what happened with Johnny. I love Johnny but no way did he deserve a medal over Daisuke who except for the quad gave a great skate. Now I do think Johnny has a claim to 4th place and I definitely would have put him there with two pretty clean programs with just small errors.

Scout

Final Flight

I find it funny that so many people have problems with Chan. How can you not like someone who is that adorable? Lol

Chan definitely should have been at least one place lower, but I'm not sure how this makes him a "spoiled brat". I too am surprised at the amount of negative sarcastic comments geared at him. He didn't award himself the marks. He actually showed surprise at his high marks, and acknowledged -somewhat indirectly- that support from the audience/home country advantage may have played a role.

figuristka

Medalist
Chan definitely should have been at least one place lower, but I'm not sure how this makes him a "spoiled brat". I too am surprised at the amount of negative sarcastic comments geared at him. He didn't award himself the marks. He actually showed surprise at his high marks, and acknowledged -somewhat indirectly- that support from the audience/home country advantage may have played a role.

I agree, have not always liked him speaking out either but does not mean he is not a nice guy away from the media. He is a very talented skater. I really wanted Weir to end up with the bronze myself. He did seem surprised at the marks.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Couldn't agree more. Thank you :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I watched his performance again on Youtube and was mesmerized by the beauty of it all over again.
He landed a triple triple in the second half of the program, and a triple double double. Each of these jumps had beautiful edges flowing in and out. He was not rewarded in the GoE scores for his jumps, compared to what was given to other skaters who had iffy jumps.

There is something wrong with the COP system if it doesn't give his performance a higher score than Chan and Lambiel's. But I think what is more accurate is that the scoring is not applied evenly, and when we see issues like this, we just say a program isn't "COP friendly" as a way to explain bad judging.

I was particularly annoyed that his jumps in the LP (barring the 3F) didn't get higher GOE's, especially compared to some of both Plushenko's and Lysacek's-they were on axis and clean going in and coming out, and lovely in the air. They just flowed, like the Johnny of 2006 and before!

He should have been at least 4th-and I'd have to go through both his & Dai's SP&LP to make a decision which deserved the bronze. Dai's SP was better, clearly, but perhaps not as much better as scored. And in the LP, I would have had Johnny ahead, so I'm teetery who should have bronze.

I think the fans of Johnny, and the fans of everyone else, should take out the time and read the 5 separate Components and each of the bullets therein. The fans should also realize that the PC scores relate to what 's going on in the Program. The Performance one is looking for is contained in the Components nitpicking bullets It's not enough to be happy with a skater who appeals to you as it was in the 6.0, the Whole Package is laid out in the 5 Components. Check out the components and how they relate to all the top skaters. Johnny may have scored quite well in this segment of the score. I think he should have, but I havent checked the Protocols.

Trewyn

Medalist
I don't want to analyse everything to death and get into the 'hard figures' that show how royally he was screwed or not. I just have to say; he *performed* out there; he was his own person and he was just *inspired*. No nerves, all about showing the world that he can be the skater. I wasn't really a fan before the Olympics, but I'm a big fan now!! I don't care about going into detailed TES and PCS; the bottom line is, and I'm pretty sure most people agree; he should not have been 6th place! Not overall, not in the SP. This really ruined the Olympics Men's competition for me. Luckily I was surrounded by many friends who could calm me down and look at all the positive things of the games (Plushenko dethroned, a Japanese guy on the podium...)

Alatariel

On the Ice

It has to do with all his wonderful statements that culminated in a completely idiotic dig at Johnny Weir ... and yet the marks et all. Twit.

76olympics

On the Ice
I think the judges really wanted to give Johnny a medal in 2006 and he made some silly judgment calls there. He has had some issues with reliability since then and they allowed it to overshadow his performances on these two days. I agree that he had two beautiful lyrical programs here that were pleasant to watch. I especially enjoyed re-watching them because I knew he wasn't going to fall apart... I wish he could have made it to bronze myself, but I like Takahashi also..
I think he has handled himself beautifully and authentically at these games and I am happy for him!

amateur

Final Flight
Definitely not bronze, but yeah perhaps 4th (but close with Lambiel; I would have found a close 5th ok too)