Johnny Weir and His Coaches | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir and His Coaches

tilak

On the Ice
I just feel Weir's programs have been somewhat flat and not as exciting as the earlier years. I want him to get that SPARK back for the win.

I do understand that perspective. I think part of the problem is Johnny trying to adapt to cramming his programs with all COP points that are now demanded. Seems like he has to concentrate and focus more on getting points and it takes away from that "SPARK", IMO. :)

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
They competed against each other at the first of their two GP events, Skate America. Johnny won the silver and Evan the bronze.

Evan then went to Skate Canada and won the bronze again, losing to Patrick Chan and Ryan Bradley (Bradley is ranked 27th in the world and came in 7th in his other GP event, Trophee Eric Bompard). Johnny went to NHK Trophy and won the silver again, behind Nobunari Oda.

The "disparity of competition in each event" excuse just doesn't hold up here - sorry.

Also, I am unsure where you are getting the idea that Evan has Johnny beaten on the international medal count "for now" - over the past two seasons, Johnny has clearly been ahead of Evan in the international medal count. Johnny won gold medals in both of his Grand Prix events last season (including at Cup of Russia, where he competed against Evan and beat him), while Evan only won two silvers. At the GPF, Evan did take the bronze and Johnny was 4th, but at Worlds, Johnny took the bronze and Evan did not compete. And since Johnny is certainly ahead of Evan internationally this season (and is ahead of him in the World rankings), there is no doubt he is competing more strongly than Evan right now.

Entire post :agree:

If Johnny was not an awesome competitor, he would have disappeared a long time ago. You don't get to be an elite skater without that.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
ITA with everything libby has stated on this thread about Johnny and Evan's competitiveness. :clap:

Entire post :agree:

If Johnny was not an awesome competitor, he would have disappeared a long time ago. You don't get to be an elite skater without that.
There are so many awesome skaters, DP!! Think Kozuka, Brezina, and Ponsero. I guess I have more than just one egg in my basket. I love the idea that there is great competition among the men and very happy that Johnny is apart of it;.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Weir has indeed a very beautiful carriage while skating and his hand moves are so great. I think that he still has great short programmes which he performs wonderfully, but in the freeskates my impression is that the spark has been lacking and his skating has looked cautious for some years now.