Johnny Weir Film - Pop Star on Ice | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Film - Pop Star on Ice

doug_log

On the Ice
Hi all. I don't post often, but wanted to give a quick review of the Johnny Weir documentary "Pop Star on Ice".

It screened yesterday at OutFest, an annual gay and lesbian film festival in Los Angeles. The screening was held in a beautiful theater at the Directors Guild of America headquarters in Hollywood.

There was a nice crowd, probably around 200 people. Derrick Delmore and Angela Nikodinov were in the audience, and there were rumors of Jennifer Kirk being there, but I didn't see her.

I'm sure many of you will check it out on DVD, but I would highly recommend seeing in on the big screen. His jumps are so breathtaking in such a large format!

We finally get to see this Paris guy that he always talks about! He and Paris seem to have a lot of fun together, and I think the film dispels any rumors that the two are a couple. Seems like they're just friends. Paris definitely stole the show!

The film focuses on Johnny's career through his bronze medal win at Worlds 2008. There just wasn't enough time to get the 2008-2009 season in there. Fortunately, the directors were at the screening and they explained that the forthcoming season will be covered on the Johnny Weir series on Sundance Channel this fall. I can't wait.

There were some amazing insights into his relationship with Priscilla Hill. She seems like a hoot and a wonderful coach, and it's clear from the footage that she and Johnny have nothing but warm feelings for each other.

I feel that the media portrays Johnny as a hothead, but the film shows how cool and icy he can be when things get tough. He certainly doesn't throw any diva-fits. He's much more introverted than I previously thought.

Fun bits: Johnny doing quad salchows, 3lutz-3toe-3loop, Johnny falling on 3flip over and over.

The film made me appreciate Johnny as a skater and public figure more than I had before. I hope you all check it out!

Last edited: