Julianne Seguin & Charlie Bilodeau | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Julianne Seguin & Charlie Bilodeau

reneerose

Final Flight
I'm subscribing to this thread. I finally saw this sweet couple this weekend for the first time on Ice Network and fell in love with their Cinema Paradiso (one of my favourite pieces of music) free skate AND them as really lovely skaters. Doesn't hurt to have choreography by Shae Lynn Bourne, Dubreuil and Lauzon, and coached by the same pairs coach of Brasseur and Eisler either. Catching up with all those great links you posted Hyena! I can't wait to see them at the 2018 Olympics! :love:

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm subscribing to this thread. I finally saw this sweet couple this weekend for the first time on Ice Network and fell in love with their Cinema Paradiso (one of my favourite pieces of music) free skate AND them as really lovely skaters. Doesn't hurt to have choreography by Shae Lynn Bourne and coached by the same pairs coach of Brasseur and Eisler either. Catching up with all those great links you posted Hyena! I can't wait to see them at the 2018 Olympics! :love:

They just exuded joy! They were so wonderful. You couldn't help but smile while watching them! My friend and I were just talking today about Brasseur and Eisler and how high he used to throw her. Also that head banger move they used to do was incredible!

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
As overjoyed as I am for them with the performance and this win (they were robbed of the silver last year at this event, btw), I am concerned that their scores were not ...higher. As an example, the American team while a decent pair and a good effort, did not have the same quality, lines or skating skills as S&B, yet received the same PCS in the LP, and the TCS even with the second sbs recorded as a single axel, and while behind the Canadians, they weren't by much. Charlie as well seemed perplexed by their score in the K n'C . This is not to take away from the American team, I just thought the gap should have been wider. Was anyone else surprised by the scoring?

Last edited:

olayolay

On the Ice
I mean, it was Skate America.

Scores were definitely on the conservative side, but I imagine that will go up if they continue being consistent. I keep forgetting this is only their second senior year.

reneerose

Final Flight
They just exuded joy! They were so wonderful. You couldn't help but smile while watching them! My friend and I were just talking today about Brasseur and Eisler and how high he used to throw her. Also that head banger move they used to do was incredible!

I hope they can stay healthy through this season and into the coming Olympic season. I read Seguin had an ankle injury earlier in the year causing them to miss their second Worlds...all that jumping and landing.....can't wait for Rostelecom Cup! BTW, because it is Skate America, I agree the scoring is conservative right now and maybe by the end of the season, the gap will be wider? Part of me thought the FS PCS should maybe have been a bit higher for Julianne and Charlie though.

Last edited:

olayolay

On the Ice
I hope they can stay healthy through this season and into the coming Olympic season. I read Seguin had an ankle injury earlier in the year causing them to miss their first Worlds...all that jumping and landing.....can't wait for Rostelecom Cup! BTW, because it is Skate America, I agree the scoring is conservative right now and maybe by the end of the season, the gap will be wider? Part of me thought the FS PCS should maybe have been a bit higher for Julianne and Charlie though.

Maybe this was just a conservative judging panel. Their PCS were 2 points higher with a messy skate at GPF last year.

I think they'll be higher at Rostelecom in a few weeks. It's a weak, weak field and they're virtually guaranteed silver behind Aljona/Partner.

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker

Glad you've discovered Julianne and Charlie!

And I'd like to ask the indulgence of Hyena and the other loyal S/B fans here to let you know that Isabelle's niece Justine Brasseur is an up and coming pairs skater with her partner Mathieu Ostiguy. They placed 7th at Junior Worlds 2016, and 4th at the 2016 Youth Olympic Games. They used to be training mates of S/B with Picard, but now are with Bruno Marcotte and Richard Gauthier. They've had a somewhat slow start this season on the JPG, but like Julianne and Charlie a few years back, we're watching them on the junior circuit with hopes for the future.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And I'd like to ask the indulgence of Hyena and the other loyal S/B fans here to let you know that Isabelle's niece Justine Brasseur is an up and coming pairs skater with her partner Mathieu Ostiguy. They placed 7th at Junior Worlds 2016, and 4th at the 2016 Youth Olympic Games. They used to be training mates of S/B with Picard, but now are with Bruno Marcotte and Richard Gauthier. They've had a somewhat slow start this season on the JPG, but like Julianne and Charlie a few years back, we're watching them on the junior circuit with hopes for the future.

I recall reading a magazine (maybe it was International Figure Skating?) and seeing the name Justine Brasseur, and I figured immediately she must be related to Isabelle. It will be fun to follow her progress! Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

olayolay

On the Ice

Justine Brasseur is a star in the making, but I think Ostiguy is just a placeholder. I just don't think he has the height or strength to keep up with her. Charlie used to be a lot skinnier in 2014, but S/B always had a good height difference between them that made bigger elements possible.

reneerose

Final Flight
Justine Brasseur is a star in the making, but I think Ostiguy is just a placeholder. I just don't think he has the height or strength to keep up with her. Charlie used to be a lot skinnier in 2014, but S/B always had a good height difference between them that made bigger elements possible.
I was watching Julianne and Charlie's Skate America Free Skate again and some of their other programs tonight and Charlie has deceptive strength in those lifts with his slim looks. Also Julianne is so impressive in sticking those throw triple jumps!

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Article from earlier this week in Le journal du QuƩbec [n.b. this paper has the reputation of being fairly nationalistically Quebecois]

Figure Skating: a new promising couple Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau confirm they belong at the elite global level [tr]

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2016/10/26/patinage-artistique-un-nouveau-couple-prometteur

My cleaned up version of the translation....other bilingual folks please don't hesitate to weigh in if you think I've got it wrong...

Their victory at the recent Grand Prix Chicago shows that Julianne SĆ©guin and Charlie Bilodeau are beginning to make their mark on the international stage of figure skating.

ALAIN BERGERON
Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:40 p.m.UpdateWednesday, October 26, 2016 8:46 p.m.

The space left in the firmament since the retirement of Joanie Rochette is now filled. Charlie Bilodeau and Julianne SĆ©guin are on the way providing a completely Quebecois touch that had disappeared in the high spheres of world figure skating.

Their victory in last weekend at Skate America in Chicago, the first of six international Grand Prix of the season, certifies that the couple is now fit to play in the same league as the world champions title, Ontarians Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford who train in St. Leonard.

"Our entourage believed more in our winning a gold medal than we did ourselves.. It's so huge to think of winning a Grand Prix in our head : we knew it was possible, but not right away," says skater the skater from Longueuil.
"We're a young couple in our early twenties and suddenly we're holding a winning hand of cards. It's a funny "feeling"! " suggests Bilodeau, who lived his youth in Trois-Pistoles before shifting to Montreal at the age of 14 years in hopes of a skating career.

Natural chemistry

To win a Grand Prix at the start of only their third season in the seniors, there must be a chemistry that works. That was what their coach at the club Chambly, JosƩe Picard, had seen in the potential of this duo when the two athletes, who had split from their their partners, showed one day in an improvised try out on the ice. The indicators were not lying.

"Our way of skating, the way that looks, there is nothing forced in it. It came on its own. When the music starts, we are able to let go and be completely in the moment, " explained the 23 year old skater.
"It is natural for us to create our moment. That's what we have more than others. That explains why we are able to recreate it every competition, " said, with poetry, his partner, who turns 20 years on 7 November.

On the rise
Quickly, results validated the couple's connection. Junior Grand Prix Champions and World Junior silver medallists in 2015, they had the audacity to finish third that year at the Canadian senior championships and eighth at World seniors. Second behind Duhamel-Radford at national championships last year, the Quebeckers have served notice in Chicago, last weekend, of their real intention to place on the international scene, which they could not do at the last Worlds that they missed due to an ankle injury to Julianne.

Another Grand Prix awaits in Moscow from November 4 to 6, where they wish to do well again to obtain their qualification for the finals in Marseille from December 8 to 11. Despite their glow from Chicago, their ultimate qualification has not been confirmed, they remind us cautiously. But the 2018 Olympics remain on their horizon and even the hope of a podium at the next Worlds.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Good luck today Julianne and Charlie! Don't let yesterday get you down!!!:love: :cheer:

reneerose

Final Flight
I'm sad for their results today. Are they REALLY out of the Grand Prix Final? :scratch2: Not sure what's happening with Charlie's jumps. Probably just an off-event or nerves?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm sad for their results today. Are they REALLY out of the Grand Prix Final? :scratch2: Not sure what's happening with Charlie's jumps. Probably just an off-event or nerves?

They still have an outside chance at the GPF but they need a lot of help from other teams.

reneerose

Final Flight
They still have an outside chance at the GPF but they need a lot of help from other teams.

I know only top 6 can qualify...didn't they just happen to get lucky last year because they had been in 7th and were invited to last year's GPF? I'm still a bit new to them and catching up on their skates.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's definitely a chance. It's looking like there will be several teams with 22 points and since that's what they've got, they'll break a tiebreaker with their win. We'll see! I reallyreallyreallyreally hope they get in.

lucyagogo

On the Ice
Hello just wanted to say that Julianne & Charlie are quickly becoming one of my fav pairs out there.Their Cinema Paradiso program is by far the most beautiful of the pairs FS this season. Rostelecom was not their best but I'm sure they'll become even better with time. I'm hoping they could make it into the GPF and eager to see them compete at worlds. :luv17:

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
It's definitely a chance. It's looking like there will be several teams with 22 points and since that's what they've got, they'll break a tiebreaker with their win. We'll see! I reallyreallyreallyreally hope they get in.
I've been keeping up with my own predictions, and I think they've got a really good shot. I think it depends on the other new Chinese team (Peng/Jin-I have them going 3-3 right now but it depends on what they do at CoC). There's not that many other pairs that I can see overtaking them at this point.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Over at FSU, Sylvia copied two great posts from dramagrrl and Rock2 about Julianne and Charlie's chances and the possible permutations for the GPF. Bottom line, I think, is that we'll know a lot more after Trophee de France.

Pairs Discussion Thread--2016-17

I'd feel a lot more secure for them if they had placed 4th instead of 5th, but c'est la vie. :) Here's what they said on Facebook about it:
This is not the hoped-for result, but we look forward! Let's go back to work [Google translation]

Last edited: