Kao Miura | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kao Miura

surimi

Body positivity goes BOTH ways.
Record Breaker
Kao's SP was hard to watch, it's clear his injury hasn't healed. I realize JSF want their JWC spots, but they'll have to risk it and WD him now. If his health state is like this, I cannot fathom what they were thinking. They should have sent Nozomu as a last-minute sub. He's not super consistent but he'd have done his best. This rushing can do Kao more harm than good, and he could easily aggravate it even more in the FS. Wishing him a speedy recovery! He did the best he could, no reason for him to look dejected in the KnC. I doubt any other junior could have done better in such condition.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
News articles on Kao:

After SP: 4/15/2022 https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202204150000010.html

Kao Miura, a favorite to win the championship, unexpectedly placed 20th in the SP "I just had a nightmare," he said. His jumps at the beginning and the end of the SP were out of control.

One of the favorites, Kao Miura (16=Oriental Bio/ Meguro Nichidai High School), who won the bronze medal at the Four Continents Championships this past January while competing against seniors, unexpectedly sank to 20th place.

He scored 60.03 points. He landed unsteadily on both the triple Lutz and the triple toeloop at the beginning of the competition. He landed the next triple flip, but fell so hard on the last triple Axel that it took him a moment to get back on his feet. Mistakes were also made in the steps that followed.

In the Kiss-and-Cry, where he was waiting for his score, he was devastated. His SP, which he had scored 88.37 at the Four Continents Championships and 92.81 at the All-Japan Championships last December, though not recognized by the International Skating Union (ISU), dropped to an unbelievable 60-point level.

Last month, he suffered a torn left quadriceps muscle. He withdrew from the World Championships in Montpellier, France, where he was selected for the first time as a substitute for Yuzuru Hanyu (27=ANA), who missed the competition due to the injury. Miura had been recuperating, and this was his debut World Junior Championships.

"Before the competition, I didn't feel any pain. After suffering from a pulled muscle and a fever, I only resumed full-scale training on Saturday and Sunday last weekend. I haven't had any pain since I came here, and I was skating better and better. I didn't feel any pain during the six-minute practice session (just before the competition)."

After the competition, he explained his disappointment, "But this is how it turned out...I really felt like I had a nightmare."

Ilia Malinin (18=USA), who showed his presence by placing 9th at the World Championships, where Miura was not able to compete, was in first place with 88.99 points. 28.93 points deficit was almost impossible to overcome, and he seemed to have put it behind him and move on.

"Next time, I will do what I have to do," he said. "I have nothing to lose, so I will give it my all."

The only thing left to do now is to take the plunge for the FS on the 15th.

Before FS: 4/15/2022 https://www.sanspo.com/article/20220415-T44AAJMKVBNA3OMJM3GZBWSYB4/

Kao Miura hurt his right instep in the official practice: "I will ice the injury once an hour and I will compete."

The second day of the World Junior Figure Skating Championships was held in Tallinn on March 15. Kao Miura (Oriental Bio, Meguro Nichidai High School), who finished 0th, fell hard on the triple axel in the official practice for the free practice on April 16. There was a time when he left the rink. According to him, he hurt his right instep.

When he left the venue, he looked concerned about his foot as he walked away, but he stressed, "I was told I could compete as long as it wasn't swollen, so I'll ice it once an hour and then compete.”

After FS: 4/17/2022 https://hochi.news/articles/20220417-OHT1T51002.html?page=1

Kao Miura: "I did the best I could do right now" Passionate "Poeta" totaling 197.59 points

In the Men's FS, Kao Miura, who finished 20th in the Short Program, placed 13th. He scored 137.56 points for a total of 197.59 points. He was proud of himself, saying, "I did the best I could do right now."

He landed a quadruple toeloop and two triple axels. He missed the World Championships in March due to a torn left quadriceps muscle. He is still not in good shape, but he skated with full of spirit until the end of the competition.

After arriving in Tallinn, the pain returned, but "it gradually went away while I was being treated, and from yesterday, I didn't feel it at all," he said, "My physical condition was not so bad, and my body didn't hurt, so I was able to skate as much as I wanted to."

He returned to the same rink where he won the bronze medal at the Four Continents Championships in January. "I have a strong emotional attachment to this rink, and I wanted to perform better in it," was his honest thought.

He said he had learned a lot in the process from his injury to this competition. ”I will never be in perfect physical condition for a competition in the future. Injuries are something that must be avoided, but I think there are many things that happen right before a competition. I think even other skaters would be depressed by that result after hitting rock bottom in the short program. For me, it was a new discovery to deal with things in this way and reset my mind for the next time." The 16-year-old will take all these experiences to the next season.

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿
Medalist
@rRainbow Thank you so much for posting translations to the articles! Your hard work is greatly appreciated! :thank:

I like the fact that Kao turns every experience, good or bad, into a learning opportunity

As I've mentioned before (way too many times), since just out of Novice, I've felt that Kao would be Japan's next Junior World Men's Champion
So knowing he was coming into this competition injured and undertrained was difficult for me to process
Prior to JW, I assumed this would be his final season in Juniors, therefore likely his only chance to earn that title
However, after checking World Standings and SB scores, I'm honestly a bit relieved realizing he won't be getting a Sr GP invite
Hopefully, he can now have a proper, fufilling Junior season including 2 JGP assignments and another chance to compete at JW

Wishing him lots of rest, a full recovery and good health for a successful 2022~2023 season!

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿
Medalist
In case anyone missed it
Kao's FaOI Makuhari Day 3 performance
It's his new EX program, 組曲 (Kumikyoku) by Pia-no-jaC
He obviously needs more practice to clean up the footwork but I really like this program for him
Gorgeous 4S aside, I feel like the intricate choreo highlights his quality skating skills (though a bit messy here), innate performance ability and overall potential
Still traveling during his spin but I can definitely see some improvement

Also, in the tradition of FaOI costumes, the finale look is A LOT.
I'm sure the top is way uncomfortable, but I actually really like it (the cut, especially) and Kao manages to pull it off quite well
Kakkoii~

Edit: Tried to embed the the finale cut but it wouldn't play ☹️

DizzyFrenchie

Final Flight
In case anyone missed it
He obviously needs more practice to clean up the footwork but I really like this program for him
Gorgeous 4S aside, I feel like the intricate choreo highlights his quality skating skills (though a bit messy here), innate performance ability and overall potential

I'm sure the top is way uncomfortable, but I actually really like it (the cut, especially) and Kao manages to pull it off quite well
Kakkoii~

This program seems to reveal a sort of "intellectual musician" side to Kao. It's a bit abstract for a show? but really beautiful and so well skated.

KiraraChin

Medalist
In case anyone missed it

Kakkoii~

Thank you for that! The steps need to be cleaner, and he needs work on his posture, but the fast music really suits him and I could see glimpses of the old Kao who would feel and perform to the music instead of just focusing on landing lots of quads 😭

I really hope his team helps him to find a balance between performing difficult elements but also paying attention to his presentation skills.