Kaori Sakamoto | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Kaori Sakamoto

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
A Niigata local TV channel has shown a little bit of Kaori Sakamoto's and Mai Mihara's skates at Fantasy on Ice in Niigata Day 3, with brief interviews in Japanese (cross-posted from Mai Mihara's Fan Fest):

icewhite

Record Breaker
I hope it's okay to write this in her fan fest since I really like both her and her skating a lot, but I'm utterly disappointed by her new programs. In a way I get that she wants to do something else than she has done the past 3 years, but I find both her new programs just boring, especially her short program. They don't showcase her abilities at all. It's a style so, so many female skaters have done and there are quite a few who do it better.
Her jumps looked effortless, although she seemed to run out of steam in her free skate, but I'm sure she can work on that during the season until the really important competitions.
But the programs themselves? I am really missing the Kaori I have gotten used to. Her free skate last season was already rather disappointing, but why now this? I really hope she changes her short mid season for something that shows off her speed, strength, energy, charisma and sexiness and is choreographically original. Even if she wants to keep the general style certainly there are choreographers who can come up with something more special.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I feel like choreograpers dont know what to do with her after the past olympic season, those were her best programs showcasing her abilities even tho for me her best programs were bach a la jazz and matrix, of course the new programs are not bad but they are far away from what she was showing before

streams4dreams

On the Ice
I feel like choreograpers dont know what to do with her after the past olympic season, those were her best programs showcasing her abilities even tho for me her best programs were bach a la jazz and matrix, of course the new programs are not bad but they are far away from what she was showing before
Hard agree on the Matrix program -- one of my favorite programs of all time, with so many iconic moves, including the "in your face, judges!" :biggrin:

icewhite

Record Breaker
I have no idea where these programs come from. Did Kaori want this style? Obviously she has a personal connection to the music, but did she maybe specifically say she wanted to do a more traditionally female program or something... who picked the choreographers, herself, her coaching team?
Honestly with these programs I see her chances of becoming WC again very slim. Usually I'd say it doesn't matter that much, main thing is you get the jumps done in the end. But since she doesn't have a 3A I think it's really important for her to showcase the strengths that she has.
The Matrix program was also my favourite of hers, but all her Richaud programs were very good. I didn't give Richaud enough credit for that. I also liked her Janet Jackson. Nobody would say Dubreuil and Buttle are bad choreographers but I think they aren't it for her. Maybe she could try with someone like Adam Solya... but I don't know if he'd do it because she's a very direct "rival" to Hendrickxs? She could also work with Ward again, but she seemed to be struggling with that program a bit last year, so maybe she decided to do something that allows her to focus on her jumps more? At least in that regards the current programs seem to work.