Kat Witt | Golden Skate

Kat Witt

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Do we like her, hate her or just feel indifferent to her addition as color commentator? I liked her better than Kurt, though she is no Uncle Dick. I prefer her to Peggy really. More honest, not as bland.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'm not sure why a "What It Looked Like From The Front Row" commentary is really needed from anybody. Dick & Peggy's vantage point offers a much more comprehensive view.

76olympics

On the Ice
I thought the comment she made about Onda's music was very perceptive. I agreed with her there. I'm not sure if she was necessary--but I liked her better than some of the non-skaters that have reported in the past.

Kat-as some have noted in other threads - was one skater who thrived on competition and I thought it was interesting that she talked so enthusiastically about how much she liked to skate in front of increasing audiences at practices. She felt the more people the better and that it encouraged her to skate better and better. I don't think this is a typical attitude for most! It certainly did prove to be a strength for her, though.

LBC

On the Ice
I kind of liked Kat. We all know how competitive she was as an elgible so hearing her comments about the warmup and practice were interesting. I think her insights about the skaters were rather honest. She was the one who pointed out that Elena won the SP and due to the math deserved to win. Her comments about Yoshie were very good as well. It was acutally nice to hear a different perspective as we kind of know by now what Peggy and Dick like. They could have had her in the booth but 4 people would have talked all over each other. Maybe she should do interviews instead of Peter. His questions are just getting dumber.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Katarina is a great skater and great champion, but from a personality persepective, she's always kind of grated on my nerves, so I could have done without her on the sidelines. And it's bad enough American commentators feel the need to throw in "awesome" as commentary all the time, but it really sounds odd coming from her; I guess she might have been hanging around Scott Hamilton a bit much....:laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think she added a new touch to the figure skating coverage.

They said she's "joined the ABC team". So does this mean we'll see her at Nationals? Or how about some of the ESPN events? That would be exciting...

Jhar55

Medalist
I kind of like her, is she a permament reporter? Or is this ABC's try at getting more viewers with the different reporters other that Peggy & Dick.

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel ABC changed too much. At Campbell they had Kurt , and at SA they added Kat. The result of SA is not bad since Kat mostly was talked while camera showed her, and you know clearly Kat was commentating. At Campbell men's event, three men's voice constantly around while the skating going on, you were puzzled about whose voice this is. The viewers decreasing is not because of the format of broadcasting, it's because of no scandal.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't trying different/younger commentators out... Dick is "getting up there" and he's been decreasing the number of events he commentates at so maybe he's dropped the retirement bomb on ABC/ESPN and they are trying to gauge who the public likes most

I say Kurt for men, Terry stays, and Kristi Yamaguchi for ladies ;) but that's just me lol

S

SkateFan4Life

Personally, I liked Katarina's commentary. She brought a lot of fresh insights, personality, and candid comments with her work with Skate America.

For example, Peggy Fleming and Dick Button simply could not bring themselves to state that the wrong woman won the gold medal - ie - Alissa Czisny outskated Elena Sokolova and she (Alisa) should have won the title. Sokolova's long program was tedious and dull. OK, she landed several triples, but where was the choreography, speed, and presentation? Czisny's spins were lovely, her extension was superb, and her overall presentation was superior to Sokolova's, in my book.

Why can't Peggy and Dick really say what they think? Witt certainly does!

orchid

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Personally, I liked Katarina's commentary. She brought a lot of fresh insights, personality, and candid comments with her work with Skate America.

For example, Peggy Fleming and Dick Button simply could not bring themselves to state that the wrong woman won the gold medal - ie - Alissa Czisny outskated Elena Sokolova and she (Alisa) should have won the title. Sokolova's long program was tedious and dull. OK, she landed several triples, but where was the choreography, speed, and presentation? Czisny's spins were lovely, her extension was superb, and her overall presentation was superior to Sokolova's, in my book.

Why can't Peggy and Dick really say what they think? Witt certainly does!

I think Dick said exactly that, but in a extremely politicallly correct manner. Commentators should be impartial, but Peggy is wishy-washy/

I thought she was great. :love: I hope she becomes a permanent addition to the commentary team.

As LBC and Orchid mentioned, both Dick and Peggy did say, however cicumspectly, that they thought Alissa should have won, while Witt told it like it is: Yelena won the short program, Alissa won the long -- now do the math.

MM :)

sycamore29

Spectator
I was at SA this weekend and was watching Katarina prepare for her commentary. She had a big binder and was keeping notes on each skater and seemed to really be paying attention to what was going on. I was suprised that people in the stands were not going over to her to ask for autographs because it didn't look like she had other ABC staff sitting near her to keep that from happening while she was working.

I taped the ABC coverage of the Ladies' event and watched it this evening when I got home and I don't think KW did a bad job - she just seemed a little nervous, especially when she was doing the piece of Czissny's hinge skates.

My thought about the introduction of KW and KB into the "ABC Broadcast Family" - Do you think Dick and Peggy are getting set to retire? Maybe this is ABC's way of getting viewers used to new commentators? It is an Oly season - so what better time for Dick and Peggy to hang up their microphones?

Sycamore, thanks for your bird's-eye view. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting!

Mathman :)

luvsasha

Final Flight
i really liked her commentary too. She has a different perspective then Peggy and Dick and hers is more interesting IMO to listen too then the "omg! she fell! omg! Her spirals need alot of work! her jumps need a lot of work! she needs to feel the music more!"

ranjake

Final Flight
Bijoux said:
Do we like her, hate her or just feel indifferent to her addition as color commentator? I liked her better than Kurt, though she is no Uncle Dick. I prefer her to Peggy really. More honest, not as bland.

i liked her...i thought she was honest...though wished she'd had a little more time. i loved kurt...i think he's a great addition. i thought he was also honest, but was giving positive but specific comments, too.

pollyls

Rinkside
Kat is cool. I definitely prefer her to Peggy. And if she is commentating, guaranteed my boyfriend will be front and center watching the show. :agree: Just from my own perversity, it must be really something to be Kat and watch Stargate SG-1 reruns and see your ex-fiance exploring the galaxy and defending Earth from the bad guys...:biggrin:

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Katerina

I think I will be like Peggy and be a little bit wishy washy too. I liked what she had to say but she definiately needs to be a little bit more polished in front of the camera. I like the fact that she is studying the skaters to get the correct information about them but she needs allot more work in front of the camera. She looks good though.:agree: