Kiira Korpi | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kiira Korpi

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
According to latest news in Finnish tabloids Kiira is moving to New York with her boyfriend. She confirms that also in a radio interview here, where she talks about her skating career, reasons why she quit among many other things (the interview lasts 56 minutes!). In the interview her sister Petra talks about Kiira's personality, former manager about her relationship with publicity and media, and Laura Lepistö about Kiira as skating colleague/competitor. Both the article and the interview are in Finnish.

Can we see her more often in ice shows as she is moving to New York (City perhaps, not NY state)?

ivia

Rinkside
They have rented an apartment in Manhattan so she and her boyfriend are moving to NY city. She does not talk very much about skating in ice shows or mention any future plans about them in the interview. She talks a bit of her pilates studies and the part in a musical in Finland (video interview here about that).

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
A local sports newspaper from Uruguay did a mention to Kiira :yahoo: !!!

It says: Kiira Korpi is a well known former Finnish skater, retired from competitive circuit almost a year ago. She has been on the European podium 3 times. In Finland, she is known as The Ice Princess. Her performances are beautiful and with lots of emotion.

It is really strange, but wonderful, coming from my Soccer-Luis Suarez-obsessed country :luv17:

LRK

Record Breaker

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
"Korpi will get to play a role in the 2017 World Championships in Helsinki, serving as an athlete ambassador and working for Finnish TV. Korpi also hopes to perform in the opening ceremony with another notable Finnish skater, Laura Lepistö."

OMG YES! Not just Kiira.... but Laura as well?! My tickets for world's instantly became better value for money! :-D

I really hope its true... both such elegant, graceful skaters... sad days when each of them decided to retire from competition... would LOVE to see them skate at Helsinki World's...!

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am glad that Kiira is happy and able to take part in so many great shows - no wonder she is in demand - she is a dream skater

The Finn

Record Breaker
"Korpi will get to play a role in the 2017 World Championships in Helsinki, serving as an athlete ambassador and working for Finnish TV. Korpi also hopes to perform in the opening ceremony with another notable Finnish skater, Laura Lepistö."

OMG YES! Not just Kiira.... but Laura as well?! My tickets for world's instantly became better value for money! :-D

I really hope its true... both such elegant, graceful skaters... sad days when each of them decided to retire from competition... would LOVE to see them skate at Helsinki World's...!

Laura has hinted recently that she will perform at the opening ceremony. She didn't confirm that she will but the hint was very obvious.

I think it is pretty much given that they both will perform at the opening ceremony.

Violetti

On the Ice
http://mtkl.fi/kiira-korpi-ahdistus-vei-ilon-urheilusta-elamasta/

Suomen mielenterveysseura (Finnish mental health association) published Kiira Korpi's interview about the anxiety she felt while competing. The anxiety did not left her at the free time either. She could not be satisfied with herself if practise did not go well enough. When she was 19 she was third at Euros and suddenly she got a lot of attention (also because she's so pretty), sponsorship offers but she had bad conscience because she knew many athletes had to work hard to get sponsors. (So Finnish by the way to have a bad conscience in that situation). She thought negatively about herself and was never confident while competing. She says she believes her many injuries were nature's way to stop her. (I believe this, too but maybe not true about every injury). Her sense of self worth was dependent on her successes. When she failed at the Worlds 2015 it was the beginning of healing, to finally understand that her worth is not dependent of her successes or failures. She had been very stressed but now that it is over it nearly makes her laugh how much insufficiency she had felt.

My comment: This might explain her inconsistency, she was too stressed, could not enjoy her life outside skating. Young minds need wise and loving counseling, to help them understand their thoughts and feelings and what to do with them, to find out that self worth is not dependent of performing but just being a human being, true to oneself.

She is now living in New York with her boyfriend and skates in shows in the USA and other countries. Best luck to her.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Laura has hinted recently that she will perform at the opening ceremony. She didn't confirm that she will but the hint was very obvious.

I think it is pretty much given that they both will perform at the opening ceremony.
In the "News" section of the official World's site, Kiira is named as one of the "ambassadors" for the event.

"Kiira Korpi will be taking on many different roles at the World Championships. In addition to acting as ambassador, Korpi will pull her skates on for the opening show and give commentary for the Finnish Broadcasting Company YLE" (Full article here)

They haven't named Laura Lepisto as an ambassador on that site (so far), but on the official "Helsinki2017" youtube channel, there is a video "Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepistö - the ambassadors of World Figure Skating Championships in Helsinki 2017 - chatting of their plans for this year"... it shows Kiira and Laura in an ice rink together... so perhaps Laura is training...? :-D