Koshiro Shimada | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Koshiro Shimada

Ladybug89

On the Ice
He’s not going back to Japan, maybe for Nationals, he said, not before.

I don’t know if and how he is qualifyed for Nationals if not attending regionals, but that’s what he told me after the Cup in Olten.

KiraraChin

Medalist
That's weird, because IIRC he's on the entries list for Tokyo regionals and I haven't seen any announcements about him having a bye to go to Nats without regionals/sectionals. Not doing Nats would mean no chance of being part of the Japanese team.

I'm intrigued now...

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Well, maybe plans changed again..

anyways in August he told me that he’ll might go to regionals, and his old Japanese coach would take care of him there. in Olten then a month later he said: no, no, not before maybe Nationals and that he plans to do another Swiss Cup soon.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thanks @Ladybug89 , I don't doubt what you're saying at all, just a bit confused about his plans.
Out of curiosity, I checked the Tokyo regionals entry list and his name is definitely there:
https://www.jsfresults.com/non_responsive_toppage.htm?figure_top.htm,National/2020-2021/fs_j/block3/index.htm (his name is the 4th on the list).
And the fact he said 'maybe' nationals confuses me, because everyone who follows Japanese skating knows that JSF places a huge importance in nationals. I think only a few skaters have ever made the team without being at Nationals, and even so this was due to injury, like Yuzuru and Satoko.

So, from what you're saying, I wonder if Koshiro might actually choose not to go to nationals and forgo the opportunity to make the team this season. I mean, it's a valid choice although might not win him any favours with the fed...

icetug

Medalist
So, it was confirmed this morning that Koshiro is not taking part in the Tokyo regionals: https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202010090000270.html

I hope he will still be able to be at Nats if he wants it :pray:
I believe Japan FS authorities understand how difficult and dangerous is to travel internationally right now (additionally a typhoon is announced?) and give a bye not only medalists, but also all skaters training abroad.
And hope the situation changes for better till Nationals...

In the meantime Koshiro is enjoying his time off the ice: https://twitter.com/teamchampery/status/1314259799052255234

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did we ever learn what he was cooking? I was afraid with that first photo we needed to call the fire department! :) Serious!y, he always looks like he's enjoying himself. The Swiss mountain air must be good for him.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, maybe the air is REALLY good for him! :cheer:

Why are we getting so much content today?! We're going to get spoiled!

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love these quick couple of seconds where Shoma's Emma just can't stay away from Koshiro! So cute! We also get to see a little more of the town when Emma is on her walks!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Reactions: ana

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
wow, you managed to talk to Koshiro :eek: Awesome, thanks for sharing! I agree, he seems like a nice and modest boy. So he's already in Japan for the NHK selection process. Good luck to him this season, and I hope he manages to snatch a Challenger!