Kostner: "I know what I need" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kostner: "I know what I need"

Should Kostner stay with the green unitard?

• Yes

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 156 79.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GGFan

Record Breaker
Is Carolina ethnically Italian? Just wondering because her surname Kostner doesn't sound Italian.

I had the same thought. I read her home is in South Tyrol where German language is used as one of the official languages. I guess he patrilateral ancestors can be German.

Yes, Carolina's hometown is close to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Austria. We think of modern Italy as this entity, but it is relatively new. South Tyrol was a part of the Holy Roman Empire, and the Austro-Hungarian empire. It was only annexed to Italy during WWI. During Fascism the German language was banned and it was a disputed territory between Austria and Italy for a good part of the 20th century. There are actually three official languages in the area (German, Italian, and Ladin) and Caro speaks all three.

Our Italian friends can fill us in about this, but I think Kostner may have gotten some undercover side eye from time to time over the years because of her regional background.

Putina

On the Ice
I do not object to the color but the glitters were excessive and the cutouts were not flattering.

RobinA

On the Ice
I despise cat suits. That said, I think the cat suit element was appropriate for the music, as is green. And I liked the green color, but not for this music. Going with the faun theme and keeping the catsuit idea, I might go for something green, but a more natural green. I also might want it to fit better. However, despite the fact that it didn't bring her luck in skating, it brought her massive good luck in other ways, so I might keep it. The judges obviously like it.

Barb

Record Breaker
The program is soooo boring, so now, at least the costume is interesting and I can stay awake seeing the program.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I was expecting horrors after all the negatives I've seen online regarding Kostner's LP costume.... And I expected to agree after I saw a still photo. But.

I LOVE it! Seriously. I love it for her, I love it for the music.

There are several aspects to my opinion.

One, the music is about a faun, a combination of a person with an animal (a goat). It's hard to tell sometimes where one begins and the other ends. Kostner has exactly this going on in the costume. Ambiguity is the point.

Two, the faun is associated with a sylvan setting. This is captured in the lush green color. It looks like blades of grass.

Three, a faun has a "now you see it, now you don't" character. That costume comes and goes in effect. You get momentary glimpses of the embellishments, of the detail, of skin color, of shapes....

Four, a faun is alternately shy, fresh, surprising, and aggressive. This is the skater Kostner is, in the sense that the brilliant blade work lulls you along and then an extremely athletic jump flies out from the ice. Her work is a refreshing surprise even if you've seen the program before.

Five, a faun NEVER wears a skirt. Revealing and not revealing are themes. Fig leafs? Cover ups? Ummm no.

And then, six, there's the avant garde motif. The costume matches the music, the history, freshness, the movements.

Power to Kostner for thinking outside the box and addressing all of those aspects.

Fauns are scary. They challenge thinking and expectations. Let us be challenged in our conventions....

Bcash

Final Flight
Seriously, the music is not a literal representation of a faun roaming in the forest. The poem was symbolic, the music a very loose interpretation of the poem, focusing on states of mind, dreams and desires.

Even if it was a literal portrayal of a Faun, this shade of green is a huge miscalculation. It's simply a poor choice.

Also, this competition just reminds everyone that she has never been a first rate competitor, but very prone to messy skates in big competitions. Age doesn't seem to help in that regard.

With that said, I hope she can skate clean at the Olympics, which would put her in reach of a gold if the PCS comes through for her. And she would be a more interesting winner with a larger legacy than someone like Zagitova.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I was expecting horrors after all the negatives I've seen online regarding Kostner's LP costume.... And I expected to agree after I saw a still photo. But.

I LOVE it! Seriously. I love it for her, I love it for the music.

There are several aspects to my opinion.

One, the music is about a faun, a combination of a person with an animal (a goat). It's hard to tell sometimes where one begins and the other ends. Kostner has exactly this going on in the costume. Ambiguity is the point.

Two, the faun is associated with a sylvan setting. This is captured in the lush green color. It looks like blades of grass.

Three, a faun has a "now you see it, now you don't" character. That costume comes and goes in effect. You get momentary glimpses of the embellishments, of the detail, of skin color, of shapes....

Four, a faun is alternately shy, fresh, surprising, and aggressive. This is the skater Kostner is, in the sense that the brilliant blade work lulls you along and then an extremely athletic jump flies out from the ice. Her work is a refreshing surprise even if you've seen the program before.

Five, a faun NEVER wears a skirt. Revealing and not revealing are themes. Fig leafs? Cover ups? Ummm no.

And then, six, there's the avant garde motif. The costume matches the music, the history, freshness, the movements.

Power to Kostner for thinking outside the box and addressing all of those aspects.

Fauns are scary. They challenge thinking and expectations. Let us be challenged in our conventions....

You tried.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A mixture of emerald and forest green would have been a lot better than dayglo green....

anyanka

Record Breaker
Girl, what you need is a new costume. I can understand green, but you don't look like the forest, you look like an alien extra from The X-Files. I'm sorry, but I'm unaware of any fauns that are radioactive.

I hope she will please consider a different shade of green. Caro is one of my favourites but I took one look at that horror and thought, "oh honey no".

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Hey, did anyone watch the victory ceremony? The horrible costume surprisingly turns to look good in the dark. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/EWWNS9Unh90?t=2m50s

I can assure that I'm not telling a lie. The fluorescent green and too much glitters are blended well into the dark blue, so the costume makes her mysterious. She can keep it for her exhibition shows later.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
The costume is very much in tune with the Ballet costume, albeit the ballet was usually brown - but it looks the same.
BTW, Evgenia Medvedeva said during the press conference that the costume is amazing and Carolina "shine bright like a diamond" and that Carolina herself is a diamond (and not the quote given in the article).
As for Carolina performance - you could see she was about to melt down - the thing with Caro is that it's quite easy to see if she's going to meltdown or not in the few seconds she is introduced.
She wears her heart on her sleeve.
You could see she was very worried before the Long.

anyanka

Record Breaker
The costume is very much in tune with the Ballet costume, albeit the ballet was usually brown - but it looks the same.
BTW, Evgenia Medvedeva said during the press conference that the costume is amazing and Carolina "shine bright like a diamond" and that Carolina herself is a diamond (and not the quote given in the article).

I think the design is appropriate, but the colour for some reason on the ice is unsightly.

It is similar to the bodysuit she wore for the 2011/12 Mozart, now that was her "shine bright like a diamond" moment (now Adam Rippon is singing in my head). I wonder if perhaps brown would be truer to the aesthetic of the original ballet?

It'll be great as a show costume, for sure. When the lights hit it in the dark, she'll definitely sparkle.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What you need is to bring back your last season program and costume. That was a masterpiece. Not that boring LP with a disco lezard unitard.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
What you need is to bring back your last season program and costume. That was a masterpiece. Not that boring LP with a disco lezard unitard.

I love the LP much more than her last season's. Debussy's music is not often played in figure skating other than a warhorse piece, Clair de Lune. The unitard does make a sense considering the theme except the color.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Hey, did anyone watch the victory ceremony? The horrible costume surprisingly turns to look good in the dark. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/EWWNS9Unh90?t=2m50s

I can assure that I'm not telling a lie. The fluorescent green and too much glitters are blended well into the dark blue, so the costume makes her mysterious. She can keep it for her exhibition shows later.

well, it should be a show costume. And sparkly dress for LP.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Now I love green as much as anyone, it's my favourite colour, I have a green car, a green mobile phone case, green bedsheets you name it, but that costume is a horror! Seriously Caro what are you doing?! Who came up wit that? At the very least change the shade of green, the one you're sporting right now is hideous!