Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013 | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I loved both Akiko's and Julia's performances. Wow, there is a thirteen years difference between them! I hope Julia keeps her tech difficulties and improves her presentation even more.

Great concept and choreography. Additionally, her solemn demeanor, her youth, and the ease of her jumps really come together to make it a poignant performance-act that made it easy for me to forget it is a competition program. Very nice step sequence, too.

Agree. I guess it's because she herself choose the music after seeing Shindler's list, wanting to portray the "girl in the red coat".

Oh, how I wish Akiko medals in Sochi :love: I agree with the posters who think the judges should give her the interpretation/choreography/performance marks she deserves.

I didn't enjoy watching Gracie that much. It's like she can't hold a pose more than one second. But she's young and talented and I'm sure she'll improve.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I love Akiko's LP!!! This is the most polished look she ever has, very beautiful and refined. She always has passion but was a bit rough at the edges sometimes. This time around she has reached another level. Her make-ups helps too. I always wished she use some shadow on her cheeks and it seems my silent whisper was heard:) I wish she just get more spring in her jumps and not get ur any more, and I wish her in the Olympic team. She's the best performer among the Japanese ladies.

sweetskates1

Medalist
:clap:

I love Akiko's LP!!! This is the most polished look she ever has, very beautiful and refined. She always has passion but was a bit rough at the edges sometimes. This time around she has reached another level. Her make-ups helps too. I always wished she use some shadow on her cheeks and it seems my silent whisper was heard:) I wish she just get more spring in her jumps and not get ur any more, and I wish her in the Olympic team. She's the best performer among the Japanese ladies.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just watched Julia on NBC's coverage. That was an AMAZING skate for the 15 year old. I knew she would win - and she won! I believe Russia has a new Star in their camp. I believe she's already stamped her ticket to Sochi. And she is for sure a podium threat at those Olympics.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Hi! Come over to the thread on the general forum to discuss NBC's coverage. I am starting to think that she can win the whole thing - she is fearless.

Just watched Julia on NBC's coverage. That was an AMAZING skate for the 15 year old. I knew she would win - and she won! I believe Russia has a new Star in their camp. I believe she's already stamped her ticket to Sochi. And she is for sure a podium threat at those Olympics.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Do you happen to have a link or smth where I can watch Julia on NBC?:love:
Or could you tell what Johnny said about her? Pretty pleease:)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Do you happen to have a link or smth where I can watch Julia on NBC?:love:
Or could you tell what Johnny said about her? Pretty pleease:)

Johnny was only brought on to comment when the men got on the ice. Tara provided commentary for the women. She was very complimentary to Julia and seemed to feel like many that Gracie still has a ways to go Presentation-wise and also needs to work on the competition nerves. She also seems amazed that Akiko can still keep up with the teenagers jump-wise!

I'm sorry I don't know if there are any links online for NBC but hopefully someone will upload it to youtube (before the copyright cops get there!). :biggrin:

Julia is so consistent. So strong this season. She is totally coming on the strongest of any threat to the top 3. 70 Tes In a lp? That's just beyond great and she's one of the best!

ITA! I've said this before, Julia is on her way. I could totally see her winning Olympic gold if she nails everything and has some help from Yuna via mistakes. I can see her challenging Mao/Carolina for a silver and with the hometown advantage who knows?

As for Gracie, I like her Sleeping Beauty LP much more than last year's LP which I hated. All I can remember from that was frantic cheerleader arms. She's toned that down quite a bit and seems to try to be 'feeling' the music much better this time around. Still has a lot to improve on Presentation-wise imo in spite of the scores she's been getting but I think she's on her way.

I love Akiko but I don't like her music cuts from Phantom. Still, her presentation is superior to all at this event.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia still skates a bit like a robot and i can't see her on the podium unless the top 3 totally bomb. She doesn't skate with a ton of speed and those jumps don't have much height. If she continues to grow and her body changes as it will since she's only 15 those jumps might disappear. This might be her peak as a skater.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The other question is, do you want to be near-perfect this early? Abbott blew a chance at winning the Olympics by peaking too early (that Nationals performance would have won instead of Lysacek - no doubt).

The other question is, do you want to be near-perfect this early? Abbott blew a chance at winning the Olympics by peaking too early (that Nationals performance would have won instead of Lysacek - no doubt).

Don't assume that someone who has done well at SA or SC has peaked. An excellent performance this early might still be just a preview of coming attractions!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States

Hmm, well, one can hope that this is so, but we can't actually know for sure that Abbott's problem is that he peaked too early. I know that idea is bandied about a lot regarding quite a few skaters, and particularly in the instance you cited. But it's quite possible, and I would frankly say likely, that Abbott could have done much worse at Nationals than he did (NOT peaked, or theoretically tried to save his best performance for the future) -- and still not won the Olympics. I think he's just plain inconsistent. I think a lot of times skaters say they didn't want to peak too early when really they are just trying to rationalize a poor performance after the fact. I'm dubious of the entire notion :think: -- I believe you should practice success in order to achieve success. You don't practice partial efforts saving yourself for some theoretical future competition, unless you are a seasoned competitor who has already practiced success lots of times in the past. But again I realize this is a bit of a tangent. :)

Anyway, watching the vids again today, Gracie Gold still stands out for me. I think she has a decent sense of performing and selling her programs, her spins are nice (centered, nice flourishes/positions), she can hit her music accents, and for me she has that intangible "it" factor. I'm not saying she's the next Kwan or anything, but I do most definitely think she's got something. I hope she can emerge as a world podium contender.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just watched Gracie's FS (was out of town yesterday, hence only read the boards). That wasn't a bad performance. Yes there were mistakes, but hardly a meltdown. In fact, I'd argue she was almost TOO relaxed. Most of those mistakes seemed like mental lapses (i.e.a temporary loss of focus) rather than a case of nerves. In any case, she recovered from the errors quite quickly.

And I agree while she still has a lot of work to do, I do think she has made some improvements from last season. I agree with Ziggy that her posture looks a lot better and that she seems to be making a concerted effort to skate to the music, not over it.

In any case, a bronze medal is a big improvement from placing 7th last year and from her very poor performance at Salt Lake last month.

nynyfee

Rinkside
I want Lacoste to skate "Amelie" clean a couple of times this season - it's arguably the best choreographed ladies LP this season. IMO, I don't know why Osmond gets better PCS than Lacoste other than the fact that the former is the anointed one.

You won't win! Amelie Lacoste fan have to stay silent! Don't tell anybody that she's is better than Osmond or even Phaneuf oh god no.... that's a big mistake!

Country
Russia
Julia is so lucky: young enough to have such a super small body and old enough to compete at the Olympics.
Julia's competitive history.
March 2008 - 9th place at Zhuk Memorial ("baby Nationals") younger age, where most of competitors were 10, while she was 9.
March 2009 - 6th place at Zhuk Memorial younger age, good result for province girl with unknown (and not so good) coach.
After that she goes to coach Eteri Tutberidze, Moscow.
February 2010 - 5th place at her first Junior Nationals, ahead Sotnikova, Biryukova, Korobeynikova, Radionova.
March 2010 - 1st at Nationals Elder Age, ahead Tuktamysheva and some other well-known (for now) skaters.
December 2010 - 4th at her first Senior Nationals, ahead Makarova, Shelepen and others.
Season 2011/2012 - she won all the competitons - JGP Events and Final, JrNats and JrWorlds (except SrNats - 1st was Sotnikova, she was 2nd ahead Leonova who earned World Silver Medal that season, Makarova, Radionova, Tuktamysheva etc.)
Season 2012/2013 - her bad season. Silver and Bronse of GP Events, Silver of JrWorlds. How many skaters may earn such results at their best season?

Only luck? Or maybe really very talented skater?

Moment

Final Flight
Good to see Julia is not completely expressionless anymore. However she is still just going through the elements and transitions in the mid setion.

It's clear that Akiko is past her physical peak. This is the best I can see her do the techs and it's pretty sad. At least scrap that second Lutz attempt, cuz girl can't rotate it, and replace it with a loop or something so she can have more chance.

Gracie's program isn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. (Not saying it's great either.) She isn't graceful, of course, but well she's very pretty in her own way. I can see there is some nice improvements in her upper body movement. I appreciate it.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Finally watched Skate Canada.

Both Julia and Gracie have fire! I liked Julia's programs and choreography very much. Gracie's not so much. Akiko :clap::clap::clap:

ITA!

Gao is so beautiful. She reminds of Arakawa, not so much her skating but her she carries herself. Hicks is so powerful. It feels like I haven't seen women jump so BIG since Harding/Ito era.

Edited to delete the part where I said US has only two spots. Yay it has 3 spots! Thank you bigsisjiejie for your correction.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Finally watched Skate Canada.

Both Julia and Gracie have fire! I liked Julia's programs and choreography very much. Gracie's not so much. Akiko :clap::clap::clap:

ITA!

Gao is so beautiful. She reminds of Arakawa, not so much her skating but her she carries herself. Grrr too bad USA has only two spots :(

Two spots for what? Olympics? USA has 3 spots for Olympics and Worlds, thanks to Ashley + Gracie placements at last season's Worlds. Gao certainly has a reasonable shot at making the team.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Here are some moments that highlighted her weak skating skills

Opening pose to where she braked, you see she was skidding. Edge is unstable. Weak ankles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPXngyS7yVE#t=46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPXngyS7yVE#t=70
The 3T after the 3Lz combo was muscled out. This is reminiscent of Caroline Zhang and recently Adelina. This kind of technique will not survive when she grows out just little more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPXngyS7yVE#t=86
same thing with the 3T and 2T after the 2A. She really digged her toe down to muscle through those rotation. Again, really bad technique that will not work for grown skater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPXngyS7yVE#t=97
first spin is travelling all over the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPXngyS7yVE#t=113
step sequence is very slow, edge is shallow. doesn't have the ease and speed that someone like Mao or Caro have. her steps remind me of sasha. It was mostly on flat edge. again, poor skating skills. you can watch other girls' steps and see how easy and flowy theirs are compare to Julia's.

the 2A is really bad. These 2As should get -GOE all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPXngyS7yVE#t=179

the last combo, she had to muscle through the 2T.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPXngyS7yVE#t=224

Another moment where she tried to brake, and it was skidding and skidding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPXngyS7yVE#t=263

I think she will have a lot more trouble than Adelina. Her technique is really questionable, and her skating skills is a lot weaker. I said Adelina would not be able to make it 2 years ago based on her jumping technique, and this girl is heading down the same path. I see a lot of red flags in her skating, and the system is rewarding this kind of skate is outrageous.