Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why not? We're getting rid of this patronising and old fashioned behaviour in real life, why not switch it up a bit on the ice?
Because ID is really traditional and whoever does this is going to get buried in scoring. Skating costs a LOT of money. And it is a LOT of work.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Agree with this, although the one thing I question is what about dances where there are two distinct sequences? If the PD was, for example, argentine tango, could you choose which sequence is the one the man will skate, and which one the woman would. Moreover, the difficulty would be unbalanced as one partner would arguably have the two more difficult keypoints (inside counter and twizzle movement). Does this mean that a stronger skater could compensate more for a weaker skater?
That being said, many of the traditional dances have harder steps throughout for the woman to perform so will balance the workload more. And for identical sequences (e.g. Blues), both partners will have the same workload for the patterns. I guess it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
I (maybe naively) assume they will take care to balance the difficulty accordingly. The easiest way would indeed be doing it like with the Viennese Waltz, where the second pattern steps are identical to the first, the partners just switch which one of them does which part of the steps. (Or even easier, they should just use the Viennese Waltz for the Junior pattern next season :wink:)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This whole hysteria is extremely, extremely funny to me because there's literally a pattern that has been performed with the man and woman doing each other's steps since at least the early 1980s (and probably since the very first time it was performed all the way back in 1934 (!) as the patterns don't tend to change very much.)
If people were not in hysterics about the Viennese Waltz back then, you have no right to be in hysterics about new patterns with the very same concept in 2023.

Also, when we're on the topic of ballroom dancing, there are a number of national dancesport (as competitive ballroom dancing is called) organisations, including the ones in the USA, Canada, Great-Britain and Germany, in which a couple is not restricted to being one woman and one man, and as a result, women and men are also not bound to their "traditional roles". And as someone who took a lot of classes in Ballroom or Latin dancing, I can tell you that there have always been and always will be a significant number of strictly female pairs, in which one woman has to take on the "male" role, to the point where they might actually have difficulty doing the "woman's steps". This is not even a new concept in the "traditional world" of ballroom dancing.
Right and it is great any combination of genders can compete in ID in Canada. But they won’t be able to do so internationally unless/until the ISU changes it’s rules.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Right and it is great any combination of genders can compete in ID in Canada. But they won’t be able to do so internationally unless/until the ISU changes it’s rules.
I assume if popularity takes off, the ISU will add additional categories. I hope some strong teams appear in Canada soon to give the ISU a push

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Because ID is really traditional and whoever does this is going to get buried in scoring. Skating costs a LOT of money. And it is a LOT of work.
And yet many of us that have done it our whole lives for the most part are the ones open to it, yet are still of traditionalism.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And yet many of us that have done it our whole lives for the most part are the ones open to it, yet are still of traditionalism.
How do you believe the judges will/would see it? I’m just saying I wouldn’t want to be part of the first pair. Maybe they’d overscore them so as to not look prejudiced? It’s an interesting topic for sure.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How do you believe the judges will/would see it? I’m just saying I wouldn’t want to be part of the first pair. Maybe they’d overscore them so as to not look prejudiced? It’s an interesting topic for sure.
If it's deadset in the rules, the judges have no choice.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I'm calling swing, a foxtrot or quickstep as the "pattern" for 80s. :coffee:
A march would even fit something like ABC "Look of Love"

They may be non-specific and allow for "creativity" with naming several rhythms and letting the coaches, choreographers and skaters fit pattern to the music they wish to use. The 80's had a very wide-range of rhythms.

I am a traditionalist and a creative with change in ice dance so yes, I would love to see CD's come back to please the traditionalist, then have a creative RD, then FD as usual.

I'm pretty sure and will be surprised if it isn't-allowed to be open to interpretation as far as rhythm.

Just a few off the top of my head:

Wake me up before you go go by Wham is a jive.
Material Girl by Madonna is a cha-cha
Never Tear Us Apart by INXS is a Viennese Waltz
Smooth Operator by Sade is Rhumba/cha cha (depends)
White Wedding-Billy Idol is a jive
Mony Mony-Billy Idol is ECS (east coast swing)
Rock Me Amadeus-Falco is Samba
Call Me-Blondie is Swing

And so on...
Ooh, yes! I already have Zumba choreography in my head for Look of Love :dance3::biggrin:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Just saying, but most Weird Al Yankovic is 1980's.

I hope someone gives it a try

Maybe "Eat It" coupled with "My Bologna." ;)
I still have the first four of these on vinyl, and now I want to see a team skate to "One More Minute". Maybe paired with "Melanie".
When I first heard of this decision, I hoped that someone was trolling Dave Lease. No such luck. It's as if the ISU doesn't want me to watch ice dance anymore.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Some of you may remember this 80s song done in 2007 as an OD to Like a Virgin (Polka)

I'm was sure I had erased this one from memory and stumbled across it researching old JGP event.
Oh...my...stars. Who the heck got the bright idea to turn "Like a Virgin" into a polka? :jaw:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Weird Al did a polka "Like a Virgin" parody called "Like a Surgeon."

Like a Surgeon
"Weird Al" Yankovic

I finally made it through med school
Somehow I made it through
I'm just an intern
I still make a mistake or two

I was last in my class
Barely passed at the institute
Now I'm trying to avoid, yeah, I'm trying to avoid
A malpractice suit

Hey, like a surgeon
Cuttin' for the very first time
Like a surgeon
Organ transplants are my line

Better give me all your gauze, nurse
This patient's fading fast
Complications have set in
Don't know how long he'll last

Let me see that I.V.
Here we go, time to operate
I'll pull his insides out
Pull his insides out
And see what he ate

Like a surgeon, hey
Like a surgeon
Here's a waiver for you to sign

Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh

It's a fact, I'm a quack
The disgrace of the A.M.A.
'Cause my patients die
Yeah, my patients die
Before they can pay

Like a surgeon, hey
Like a surgeon
Got your kidneys on my mind

Like a surgeon, ooh, like a surgeon
When I reach inside
With my scalpel, and my forceps, and retractors
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

Ooh, baby
Yeah
I can hear your heartbeat
For the very last time

Songwriters: Billy Steinberg, Tom Kelly, Al Yankovic. For non-commercial use only.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am predicting Maple Leaf March.

We have not seen it yet, and it is recent, so a bit more modern and may go well with 80s.

That being said.... i was really hoping it that 80s would be narrowed down to something more like 80s synth pop... or some other 80s sound.

By this... well i look forward to the nuts who skate to a country western hit from the 1980s (I feel like with the roll swapping Working 9 to 5 would be a good choice)

Glaceing at the 1980 Grammys The Muppet Movie won an Grammy for best Children's recording... 80s music! Also John Williams won a couple for Superman... 80s music!

Also... i feel the need to remind everyone Return of the Jedi came out in 1983... firmly in the 80s. Whoever skates to the original Jabba band I will for ever stan

beachmouse

On the Ice
Glaceing at the 1980 Grammys The Muppet Movie won an Grammy for best Children's recording... 80s music! Also John Williams won a couple for Superman... 80s music!

The Muppet Movie had a seriously good soundtrack beyond just Rainbow Connection. I think you could get a pretty lovely dance program out of someone doing a cover of ‘I’m Going to Go Back There Someday’ that did not sound like it was being sung by a muppet.