Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article

beachmouse

On the Ice
How about a choice between funky chicken, hokey-pokey, macarana, and YMCA (arms required).

And then there’s the ‘chicken dance’ common at sporting events in the USA Midwest (and I think still at Oktoberfest events around the world) which is effectively a polka.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
And then there’s the ‘chicken dance’ common at sporting events in the USA Midwest (and I think still at Oktoberfest events around the world) which is effectively a polka.
like this? :biggrin:

The clip has instructions!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
How about a choice between funky chicken, hokey-pokey, macarana, and YMCA (arms required).
My vote: Funky Chicken. James Brown will show us how it's done; I think Funky Chicken starts around 0.35, but there's way more...

Dang, that guy could dance.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also popular at weddings

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I'm still skeptical re: the new pattern rules and wasn't enthusiastic about the 80s theme until this morning. I was in the kitchen and Mr. Rant was listening to one of his YouTube playlists. The Stray Cats came up. I literally gasped and said, "Yes! This! Someone needs to skate to this!"
So if anyone wants to "Rock This Town", do the "Stray Cat Strut" or heck, even be "Sexy at 17", I'm down for it.

Weathergal

Medalist
I'm still skeptical re: the new pattern rules and wasn't enthusiastic about the 80s theme until this morning. I was in the kitchen and Mr. Rant was listening to one of his YouTube playlists. The Stray Cats came up. I literally gasped and said, "Yes! This! Someone needs to skate to this!"
So if anyone wants to "Rock This Town", do the "Stray Cat Strut" or heck, even be "Sexy at 17", I'm down for it.
Sui / Han did an SP to "Stray Cat Strut." I think it could work for Dance as well.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Sui / Han did an SP to "Stray Cat Strut." I think it could work for Dance as well.
Ice Dancers Eve Chalom and Mathew Gates were the first to perform "Stray Cat Strut/Rock this Town" by the Stray Cats back in the late 90s. ;)
There used to be video up on YT, but can't seem to find it now.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Would 1990 be the start of the 90s or the end of the 80s? World Clique (Deee-Lite) has some amazing dance music on it

Would be considered 90s

1990 is definitely the last year of the 80's.

Put it like this: when you are counting on your fingers, do you start at 0 and end at 9, or do you start at 1 and end at 10?

And when you continue onto your toes, do you start at 10 and end at 19, or do you start at 11 and end at 20?

There's your answer.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just popping back in to add that I just went onto @NoNameFace's Twitter profile, and saw a post saying that Tina Turner has died.

I'm heartbroken. 💔

I am a massive fan, and she had some really great songs in the 80's, so please somebody skate to her!

CaroLiza_fan

mskater93

Record Breaker
Some people don't see it that way, which is why I asked. I already cut Deee Lite for my own solo free dance, but I don't have a specific genre I need to stay in, just things that move me and make me want to work on it.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I would be quite amused and very pleasantly surprised if one of the German (or even non-German, for all I care) Ice Dance teams decided to go with German music for their RD next season.

The 1980s were one of the most internationally successful epochs in modern German music (think of 99 Luftballons, Major Tom, but also the Scorpions among others), and it would be great to see some more diversity in the music choices in Ice Dance.

Weathergal

Medalist
Ice Dancers Eve Chalom and Mathew Gates were the first to perform "Stray Cat Strut/Rock this Town" by the Stray Cats back in the late 90s. ;)
There used to be video up on YT, but can't seem to find it now.
Thanks! I remember them but don't recall the program. Hopefully it will reappear on YT someday 🤞