Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
@elektra blue
I thought of you when I heard Joan Jett and Bon Jovi.
As for me - I want U2 With or Without You.
you know i may have a bad reputation, but i love rock 'n roll :biggrin:
I would be quite amused and very pleasantly surprised if one of the German (or even non-German, for all I care) Ice Dance teams decided to go with German music for their RD next season.

The 1980s were one of the most internationally successful epochs in modern German music (think of 99 Luftballons, Major Tom, but also the Scorpions among others), and it would be great to see some more diversity in the music choices in Ice Dance.
Amadeus Amadeus! Amadeus! :biggrin:

but on a more serious note i think we do need another hero

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I would be quite amused and very pleasantly surprised if one of the German (or even non-German, for all I care) Ice Dance teams decided to go with German music for their RD next season.

The 1980s were one of the most internationally successful epochs in modern German music (think of 99 Luftballons, Major Tom, but also the Scorpions among others), and it would be great to see some more diversity in the music choices in Ice Dance.
Kraftwerk? (Very early 1980s)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Only a few years ago, the Scorpions were actually verging on warhorse status. So many skaters were doing programmes to "Maybe I Maybe You" and "Still Loving You". I love the Scorpions, and I love those songs. But, they have so many other great songs that could be used. For goodness sake, I can't remember anybody skating to what is their most famous song on the international scene, "Wind Of Change". And it would be perfect for skating to.

As for Nena, yes please!!! I love both the English and German versions of the balloon song. Indeed, I was immensely disappointed a few years ago when Mia Caroline Risa Gomez (NOR) wore a dress with a red balloon on it, and then didn't skate to that song!

I saw a red balloon, and I thought "YES!!!! We're getting some Nena!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiwgOWo7mDc

But, alas... 😞

Not a bad skate to start off the competition, though.

CaroLiza_fan

And since we are talking about all things German, here is the original German version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpu5a0Bl8eY

I have to admit that I hadn't come across Major Tom before. I actually thought you were accusing David Bowie of being German! :drama: But, I just listened to the song that you are referring to, and, yes, that would make good skating music!

Peter Schilling - "Major Tom (Coming Home)"

I know a lot of people like to deride German music, but there is a lot of good stuff that has come out of that country! Although they don't qualify for this discussion of 80's music because the lead singer wasn't born until the end of 1990, I was a massive fan of the rock band LaFee. But, what about Die Ärzte, or Die Toten Hosen, or Oomph! I like them, and they all started out in the 80's.

Ja! Mehr Deutsche Musik, bitte!

CaroLiza_fan

dlarry1

Rinkside
I've always thought the driving piano and number of crescendos would make this an excellent dance piece. Lots of drama and places to highlight big moves along with a couple of quiet spots.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
so let's keep it pop.

You disappoint me, child.

how about George Michael?

There have been some very good George Michael programmes, so the more the merrier! :biggrin:

Just so long as it doesn't mean listening to "Last Christmas" all season. :eek:

Christmas music should only be heard in December.

How bout some of "Our house...in the middle of the street?"

Madness - "Our House"

Now that is something I would pay to see. Somebody trying to interpret any Madness song! How on Earth do you do that?! Madness by name, madness by nature! :laugh:

Or "You spin right round baby right round...."

Mmmmm. That would be another very interesting song to see being skated to. Would they take it literally...? :devil:

Dead Or Alive - "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)"

Please some Bonnie Tyler.

PELASE!!!!!! :pray:

The problem is that her biggest songs ("Total Eclipsde Of The Heart" and "Holding Out For A Hero") might prove to be too big. I was thinking that "Lost In France" or "It's A Heartache" could be good, but they were from the 70's. As for her 80's songs, I can imagine "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" being a good for skating, but I actually prefer the original version of the song by Creedence Clearwater Revival, which was from the start of the 70's.

But I would love to see this being skated to:

Bonnie Tyler - "If You Were A Woman (And I Was A Man)"

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Ice Dancers Eve Chalom and Mathew Gates were the first to perform "Stray Cat Strut/Rock this Town" by the Stray Cats back in the late 90s. ;)
There used to be video up on YT, but can't seem to find it now.
Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall skated to "Stray Cat Strut" in the 1980s. Wikipedia isn't showing a list of their music by year as some articles do, but I remember seeing the program. I think it was an OD/SP/whatever they were calling the shorter program then.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
You disappoint me, child.

There have been some very good George Michael programmes, so the more the merrier! :biggrin:

Just so long as it doesn't mean listening to "Last Christmas" all season. :eek:

Christmas music should only be heard in December.

Madness - "Our House"

Now that is something I would pay to see. Somebody trying to interpret any Madness song! How on Earth do you do that?! Madness by name, madness by nature! :laugh:

Mmmmm. That would be another very interesting song to see being skated to. Would they take it literally...? :devil:

Dead Or Alive - "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)"

PELASE!!!!!! :pray:

The problem is that her biggest songs ("Total Eclipsde Of The Heart" and "Holding Out For A Hero") might prove to be too big. I was thinking that "Lost In France" or "It's A Heartache" could be good, but they were from the 70's. As for her 80's songs, I can imagine "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" being a good for skating, but I actually prefer the original version of the song by Creedence Clearwater Revival, which was from the start of the 70's.

But I would love to see this being skated to:

Bonnie Tyler - "If You Were A Woman (And I Was A Man)"

CaroLiza_fan
let me make up to you

80s mean hair metal, not just Bon Jovi, with 80s you go big or go home so

twisted sister

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
more hair metal suggestion because this forum doesn't allow me to post more then two videos

Motley Crue

Hanoi Rocks

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right, here are some songs from the 80's that I think would suit being turned into an Ice Dance programme.

Ultravox - "Vienna"

The Straubs are from Vienna. It would be a lovely tribute to their hometown if they skated to this song!

Berlin - "Take My Breath Away"

Spandau Ballet - "True"

And before anybody asks, of the German Ice Dancers at last year's Nationals, only Charise Matthaei is a Berliner. But I don't know if she is from Spandau.

T'Pau - "China In Your Hand"

No, I'm not going to continue what has been the theme of this post so far and suggest that a Chinese partnership skates to this!

Soft Cell - "Tainted Love"

Phil Collins - "Against All Odds"

A-ha - "Take On Me"

Foreigner - "I Want To Know What Love Is"

Starship - "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"

Enya - "Orinoco Flow"

The Housemartins - "Caravan Of Love"

And from one song featuring the distinctive voice of Paul Heaton, to another:

The Beautiful South - "You Keep It All In"

I really wanted to include my favourite Beautiful South song, "A Little Time" (where my fellow Northern Irelander, Briana Corrigan, has joint top billing with Paul), but I know people who use the 1980-89 definition will protest because it wasn't released until September 1990 (it was on their second album). So, I went for the last single from their debut album instead.

Ach, sod it! We all know the 1980's run from 1981 to 1990! And with this in mind, here is a song by an Irish singer that was released 8 days into 1990:

Sinéad O'Connor - "Nothing Compares To You"

Boys, but that would make a beautiful Ice Dance programme. Has it ever been used in Ice Dance before? The only skating programme I can find using it is by Singles skater Cynthia Phaneuf.

Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan - "Especially For You"

I really wanted to include some other songs produced by Stock, Aiken & Waterman, but I don't think they would suit Ice Dance. HOWEVER, one of their acts, who was also my first singing crush, had a cover of Skeeter Davis' 1962 song "End Of The World" as the final track on her 1989 debut album (the first album I owned). And I do think it would work:

Sonia - "End Of The World"

Yes, @elektra blue , the first singer I had a crush on was ginger!

Finally for this section of the post, the song that was #1 when I was born:

Jennifer Rush - "The Power Of Love"

It wouldn't be me if I didn't include some music from Northern Ireland. But, before I do, here is a song by a Scottish band that is about Northern Ireland, and which I think would make an great programme:

Simple Minds - "Belfast Child"

After that, I have to go to Belfast's most famous son. And I think this song would make a beautiful programme:

Van Morrisson - "Have I Told You Lately"

Northern Ireland had a big punk scene in the 70's and 80's, but I have just listened to a whole pile of songs released in the 80's by a whole variety of bands and, although there were a lot of great songs, I don't think any of them would suit skating. But, I do think this solo song from the original lead singer of The Undertones would be good:

Feargal Sharkey - "A Good Heart"

If you include 1980 (which I don't!), people from Northern Ireland represented Ireland at the Eurovision Song Contest five times during the 80's. One of them, Johnny Logan, won the title twice (and also wrote the song that another NI singer, Linda Martin, took 2nd position with in 1984). And I think the song which won the 1987 title would be great for skating to:

Johnny Logan - "Hold Me Now"

I tried to resist, but I can't. I have to have include something from Cyprus. I could go with the mega-famous singer from the UK that has Cypriot parentage (George Michael). But, instead, I am going with the most famous singer that was actually born and raised on the island. And her 1982 Eurovision song, which finished in 5th position, would make a good programme:

Anna Vissi - "Mono I Agapi"

And it would be very appropriate for Kudryavtseva / Karankevich, as the beach at the start and end of the video is near Paphos, where Angelina lives.

Is that enough suggestions? I can find more if you want! :)

CaroLiza_fan

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall skated to "Stray Cat Strut" in the 1980s. Wikipedia isn't showing a list of their music by year as some articles do, but I remember seeing the program. I think it was an OD/SP/whatever they were calling the shorter program then.
I was just going to post that. It was 1983 and the OSP as it was called back then was rock & roll. That program was highly controversial. Early in the season judges said it wasn't rock & roll and they should change the program. Wilson and McCall fought for the program and won. It became somewhat of their signature program. So cool. A different approach to rock & roll.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I was just going to post that. It was 1983 and the OSP as it was called back then was rock & roll. That program was highly controversial. Early in the season judges said it wasn't rock & roll and they should change the program. Wilson and McCall fought for the program and won. It became somewhat of their signature program. So cool. A different approach to rock & roll.
Sorry, I was a bit young to recall that, even though I know my skating history very well, this must've slipped through the cracks.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Sorry, I was a bit young to recall that, even though I know my skating history very well, this must've slipped through the cracks.
That's OK, I'm finding the cliche is true that as you get older, your long term memory is much better than the short term. :) [computer still won't download smilies :-( ]. I look at some of the threads here for skaters about whom their fans wax lyrical, and think "Who?" The name doesn't ring any bells. Then I look them up and find he/she was world champion just a couple of years ago. But the 60s, 70s, 80s? Like they were yesterday.