Let's jump the gun! What improvements would you like to see next year | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Let's jump the gun! What improvements would you like to see next year

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I kinda already said it, but I'll say it more centrally (Don't know if that was the right word or not).

I kinda want to see the female skaters not wear necklaces, non-stud, or non-pearl-like earrings.

I don't know, it's just as a cheerleader, we're not allowed to wear those cause of safety hazards so me seeing those kinda makes me cringe in a way that I'm like, "That doesn't look safe."

Rules against jewelry do exist actually. For some reason they just don't seem to care to enforce it. Personally I am on the same page as you, it does not really add anything other than increased risk. It really is not that hard to take off your damn jewelry prior to competing. Even studs can get ripped out, and can lead to little pieces of metal on the ice. Heck I have a family member that stop wearing his wedding ring on the job after seeing a co-worker get theirs shoved up under their skin to the knuckle (fireman trying to dive in to uniform for call too quickly).

I think part of why they don't enforce it is that some of the necklaces have a religious connotation, so many may just not want to risk offending people or turning it into more of a headache.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rules against jewelry do exist actually. For some reason they just don't seem to care to enforce it. Personally I am on the same page as you, it does not really add anything other than increased risk. It really is not that hard to take off your damn jewelry prior to competing. Even studs can get ripped out, and can lead to little pieces of metal on the ice. Heck I have a family member that stop wearing his wedding ring on the job after seeing a co-worker get theirs shoved up under their skin to the knuckle (fireman trying to dive in to uniform for call too quickly).

I think part of why they don't enforce it is that some of the necklaces have a religious connotation, so many may just not want to risk offending people or turning it into more of a headache.

Even at cheer practice I see some teammates need to be reminded to take their piercings out. I don't have that problem cause I have no piercings, not even my ears (And I don't planned on getting them pierced ever).

Then maybe they should amend the rule for necklaces saying "With exception of necklaces for religious purposes" or something like that.

Personally, I don't see jewelry enhancing the programs whatsoever. The outfit and the execution is what matters.

Actually maybe they should stop wearing all earrings. I remember when I was competing in cheerleading in high school and in my recreation team, ALL jewelry had to be removed and they STRONGLY advised against getting your ears pierced during the season and if you do, you had to put band-aids on your ears. Yeah I'm not kidding about the band-aids.

Scovies

Final Flight
You were a cheerleader?! :D sweet! I know what that stunt is. I only have front spotted a basket toss. I've never based, backspotted, or flown in a basket toss.

Probably necklaces are bigger concerns.

Yep! I cheered in middle and high school, for school and all-star teams. It was fun, but I don't miss tumbling on basketball floors.

I can see strict jewelry requirements for pairs and ice dancers just because there's a risk of things being ripped out/injuring someone, but I don't see a problem with singles skaters wearing studded earrings, or simple rings. :confused2:

desertskates

Medalist
Necklaces in pairs and dance make me nervous. When I did my adult skating as a singles skater, I only ever wore diamond stud earrings and my wedding band. The dress is where the bling goes :p

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I kinda already said it, but I'll say it more centrally (Don't know if that was the right word or not).

I kinda want to see the female skaters not wear necklaces, non-stud, or non-pearl-like earrings.

I don't know, it's just as a cheerleader, we're not allowed to wear those cause of safety hazards so me seeing those kinda makes me cringe in a way that I'm like, "That doesn't look safe."

:agree: I have the same concern re male ice dancers and male pair skaters, on whom neck chains do not seem uncommon.

I've always assumed that they're not costume accessories -- instead, just everyday jewelry that the guy chooses to keep on when competing ... perhaps for religious or sentimental reasons.

(In contrast: I assume that many skaters wear wristwatches off ice, but I don't think I've ever seen one in competition, so they don't seem to mind taking those off. :think:)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

It's a lucky charm for many skaters. For instance, Michelle Kwan constantly wore the same gold necklace. Maybe they don't want to get in the way of skaters' luck/rituals. :slink:

Sk8erGeek

Rinkside
Has a Figure Skater been hurt or nearly hurt from wearing jewelry? If not, this rule will start getting enforced and specific when it is seen as a hazard.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's a lucky charm for many skaters. For instance, Michelle Kwan constantly wore the same gold necklace. Maybe they don't want to get in the way of skaters' luck/rituals. :slink:

Yup. At any given competition, Hanyu is wearing around 3 lucky necklaces and 2-3 lucky bracelets. What would he do without them? :biggrin:
But with singles skaters it probably doesn't matter so much. It does no good to mess with a skaters' juju.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yup. At any given competition, Hanyu is wearing around 3 lucky necklaces and 2-3 lucky bracelets. What would he do without them? :biggrin:
But with singles skaters it probably doesn't matter so much. It does no good to mess with a skaters' juju.

get a Pooh tattoo of course!

louisa05

Final Flight

She never took that off at all for years until it broke (not on the ice) in her last season and she replaced the red string with a chain. I think it had some cultural significance as well that involved not untying the string and it was a gift from a grandmother. Stuff like that and religious jewelry is likely why nothing is enforced in that area.

For singles skaters, if the jewelry does not bother them when skating, I'm not sure it is really anyone's business what they have on. Pairs and dancers need to judge the risk. I was a bit surprised to see that Alexa Scimeca was wearing her engagement ring while competing, I'd think that it could jam Chris's hand when grasping for lifts and such.

Eloyse

On the Ice
1. Harsher on UR
2. Encourage better skating skills by changing the COP system. Currently 'jump' is the most important technique in figure skating esp. in men's field, but I feel that SS should be equally important
3. Turn light on during ex

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Good Camera Angles. No strange zoom out during big money jumps! Or unusual bird eye views during choreograph sequence from the parking lot.

Better COP value for difficult combos. 4T3T, 3lz3t, 3loop3loop etc etc... Time to end reign of safe 3T3T, tano doesn't make it suddenly that risky or difficult! Infact limit tanos, no more than 2 tanos in one program, or instant -1.

you made me look these up :shocked:

Wow these lot takes a pooh is a friend for life far too literally.

Last edited: