Lombardia Trophy 2013 (Milan/ITA) Sept 19 to 22 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Lombardia Trophy 2013 (Milan/ITA) Sept 19 to 22

cassiem

On the Ice
Nevertheless 18 is still very young for a pair skater. I don't see the point in dumping Martiusheva now when she has started to get the jumps from time to time.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Nevertheless 18 is still very young for a pair skater. I don't see the point in dumping Martiusheva now when she has started to get the jumps from time to time.

well last summer she posted pairs pics of her alone cutting deliberately Rogonov in the pictures
I was certain they had broken up but seemed to have teamed up again

cassiem

On the Ice
I suspect they have split a couple of times and this is a major factor for her shaky confidence. Pavlova and Rogonov need to learn to be supportive and not go hunting for a new partner at every opportunity. Despite Narumi Takahashi's problems, Mervin Tran wasn't constantly looking at other partners. Frankly I think M/R should change coaches. Pavlova has never been good at building confidence in her female pair skaters.

cassiem

On the Ice
Gerboldt/Enbert getting higher PCS scores than M/R is just laughable. M/R are absolutely stunning when they're on. G/E were so plodding and laborious, Gerboldt fell and her posture is dreadful. The judges need to stop automatically assigning higher PCS for being in a later warmup group.

IleK

On the Ice
Gerboldt/Enbert getting higher PCS scores than M/R is just laughable. M/R are absolutely stunning when they're on. G/E were so plodding and laborious, Gerboldt fell and her posture is dreadful. The judges need to stop automatically assigning higher PCS for being in a later warmup group.

I really liked Gerboldt/Enbert. I think they are more apealling than Vera&Yuri (there is something about them I never liked from the begining). I liked this pair form the first time I saw them and now after Katarina being injured they look even better together. I haven't seen Martiusheva but I didn't see anything in their short program yeasterday, no expression, no nothing.

Stefania and Ondrej were amazing. Talking about pairs peaking late in their career, I hope they will not retire after the Olympics because their time is now. And Stefania is very young.

cassiem

On the Ice
I couldn't disagree more. Pair skating should be light and graceful. M/R have that while G/E are the complete opposite. And G/E have no choreography.

hanca

Record Breaker
I understand Pairs usually peak very late in their careers but
its not an excuse even Bazarova with her tiny jumps who is only 19 is more consistent than Martiusheva
who lands on her butt 50% of the time

How consistent are you, by the way?

hanca

Record Breaker
well last summer she posted pairs pics of her alone cutting deliberately Rogonov in the pictures
I was certain they had broken up but seemed to have teamed up again

That would prove my point. Better to have some partner who can land the jumps at least sometimes, than being without partner completely... You may think that it is so easy to find a partner if you are a male skater, but things are not as simple as that. You need a partner who:
1. is willing to relocate
2. is physically compatible (if she is too tall or too heavy, the result may be much worse than with the current partner)
3. is better skater than the partner you currently have.

To manage to find all those above, that's a huge task. Not everyone is as lucky as Trankov. If Morozov decided not to retire, or if Volosozhar decided that if she can't skate with Morozov, she won't be skating any more, Trankov would have difficulty (as any other pair skater) to find a decent partner. Even with the support from his skating Federation, they can't give him what they don't have. Why do you think that Maisuradze got some novice/junior girl without any proper competitive results? Despite Russia being strong in junior ladies at the moment, it wasn't like if all the ladies were fighting for the chance to skate with him. If they were, he could have got a partner who has all her triples and triple-triple combination. Most girls who qualified for junior nationals in Russia have triple-triple! But his new partner did not have those results.

In addition, starting a new partnership at that point of their career is not easy. Approximately 1-2 seasons are spent trying to gel together and only then usually get some results (if the female partner doesn't have a growth spur or doesn't get through puberty).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
scoring wise well no point to argue here, this is a senior B, results are inflated
regarding puberty sure we said that when she was 16 but Martiusheva is now 18 and has a full womanly figure now, has passed her growth spurt
and she is still a headcase, we can assume if they stick together for a while their careers will be mired by inconsistencies

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Well with K&S and V&T retiring, this is the key season for all the young russian pair teams to stablish themselves well into the next quadrennial. Martiusheva has basically one season left to get her act together or I wont be surprised to see Rogonov with a new partner next year. I do agree its a major risk though. He could end up like Bezmaternikgh, former Jr. World Champion and changing partner each year without results.

cassiem

On the Ice
scoring wise well no point to argue here, this is a senior B, results are inflated
regarding puberty sure we said that when she was 16 but Martiusheva is now 18 and has a full womanly figure now, has passed her growth spurt
and she is still a headcase, we can assume if they stick together for a while their careers will be mired by inconsistencies

They may be inflated for Berton / Hotarek and Gerboldt/Enbert but certainly not for Martiusheva/Rogonov. M/R's PCS were lower last season at their senior B than on the Grand Prix series. She may be a headcase but so are most female pair skaters who are going for SBS triples. The only "consistent" ones are those who play it safe by sticking to double jumps.

Why are you so determined to bring down certain skaters even if they're clearly improving? A few years ago Martiusheva would NEVER have landed a triple in competition. Now she lands them sometimes. Give her credit for improving and stop expecting the impossible. You're living in dreamland if you think there are partners available who will land triple jumps consistently.

IleK

On the Ice
I couldn't disagree more. Pair skating should be light and graceful. M/R have that while G/E are the complete opposite. And G/E have no choreography.

I don't disagree with you. If you read what I wrote you will see that I posted something about who or what I like. I didn't say I dont't like Vera and Yuri (at all) or Martiusheva who is very pretty, it's impossible not to like her, I just like the other pair more. They have what the other 2 pairs lack. Connection. And I didn't see too much coreography in M/R's SP either. I expected to like them more since I haven't seen them lately. Anyway, I will look for M/R' LP because the panel didn't look as if they were clean at all even if there were no deductions. I think these 2 pairs could do very much good one to the other, if they stick together and don't split. That is push each other. They are very young, with great talent and good looks. They could fill the empty spaces in the russian team after V/T and K/S retire.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
They may be inflated for Berton / Hotarek and Gerboldt/Enbert but certainly not for Martiusheva/Rogonov. M/R's PCS were lower last season at their senior B than on the Grand Prix series. She may be a headcase but so are most female pair skaters who are going for SBS triples. The only "consistent" ones are those who play it safe by sticking to double jumps.

Why are you so determined to bring down certain skaters even if they're clearly improving? A few years ago Martiusheva would NEVER have landed a triple in competition. Now she lands them sometimes. Give her credit for improving and stop expecting the impossible. You're living in dreamland if you think there are partners available who will land triple jumps consistently.
:agree: just look at Narumi: she almost never lands a sbs clean jump, but she has been World Bronze Medalist (the only time in her career when she actually landed some decent jumps), Martiusheva is not worse than many of the Pairs girls (=not everyone is Meagan Duhamel ;) )

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I really think that M/R were a bit robbed in the free, there is no way that B/H were 10 points better than them in PCS. I really like there style but as previous posters have said her jumps have held them back. I'm not sure I liked the final part of their free today, the CH seem a bit odd, kinda comedy. I was a bit bored by B/H, technichally it was good but it felt kinda flat, he also needs to change the yellow trousers in the short. G/E had a decent skate but I think the music is to heavy for them, they look happy to be skating again. Enjoyed the German pair.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Marchei did a fine job with her jumps, though she's missing three opportunities for 2T/2Lo, which would easily give her 4 points in technical. I also hope she upgrades her transitional work, which one judge give a 5.75 if just to make a point about her overuse of simple forward and back crossovers.

IleK

On the Ice
I didn't know she had flip in her program in the past...

She had but with the wrong edge. And she pobably dumped it very early because I don't remember her with a flip. But last season when she jumped am intended double lutz at Euros I wondered why instead of it she didn't do a 3flip no matter the wrong edge, like everyone else does. I tought then that maybe she couldn't land it at all, like she probably can't land the loop either. But she did it here with "e" and with clean landing. I am so upset she didn't go to Jason earlier in her career. She had so much potential but no one to take care of it.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I didn't know she had flip in her program in the past...

She had but with the wrong edge. And she pobably dumped it very early because I don't remember her with a flip. But last season when she jumped am intended double lutz at Euros I wondered why instead of it she didn't do a 3flip no matter the wrong edge, like everyone else does. I tought then that maybe she couldn't land it at all, like she probably can't land the loop either. But she did it here with "e" and with clean landing. I am so upset she didn't go to Jason earlier in her career. She had so much potential but no one to take care of it.
Valentina used to include the flip in her programs during both the 2010-2011 and the 2011-2012 seasons, then she never actually attempted it last year (excpet Worlds, ehere she popped it), and now she's doing it again, and the edge looked really improved...