Looking back on the careers of Yu Na Kim and Michelle Kwan | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Looking back on the careers of Yu Na Kim and Michelle Kwan

anyanka

Record Breaker
Well it is natural an American probably wont root for a non American over an American, and skating forums like this are predominantly American. Cohen had a feisty little fan base which could be vocal at times, but Kwan had a much larger one, many of who seemed to resent anyone who dared challenge her, but especialy if it were another American. Slutskaya seemed to get more appreciation and respect (even if gruding at times) from the very large Kwan fan base than Sasha or especialy Tara did.

People here STILL remember her today! Those who watched her with Kwan recall her technical prowess, her lovely personality, her fight and competitive nature, and her longevity. IIRC even in competitions like at SLC she still got a huge ovation even though it was very close between her and Hughes for that gold medal. I think most fans at that time recognized that Kwan and Slutskaya as skating rivals were good for each other, and their friendship was adorable. I saw pics of them at Sochi greeting each other and it made me smile. Clearly these two have deep admiration and respect for one another, even today.

Before Sochi my friends who are casual fans ask "is that Irina Slutskaya still around?". Heh. Of course now they're all Yulia converts and remember Adelina for, well, ya know ...