Mai Mihara | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Mai Mihara

Volcano

Spectator
I love Mai :sad4::sad4::sad4: I wish she can stay for 2 more years and I am not feeling good if she can stay around and edge out in 2022. Currently I feel Wakaba and Kaori can stay till 2022 in terms of difficulties.

I wish I will see her in 2018-2019 and her presentation will get a good upgrade like Carolina Kostner. Hope Team Nakano will invest more on her presentation.

Liasky

Rinkside
I watch her video at 4cc last year, and now I'm crying.

By the end of last season, I thought she would be a lock in Olympics and Worlds, since she had a superb performance last year.

But there are many rising stars shining up. Kaori, Kihira, or even Wakaba who is so much better this year.

I really want to see her in the Olympics, I think I can wait until 2022. But I don't know that how will she be at that time, because she had an injury problem since she was a junior.

I hope Sakoto and Wakaba will do well at Worlds. So Japan will get 3 spots next year. Then, Mai will have a chance to return to the Worlds again.

I also hope that she will get into the podium in 4cc. I want to see the same picture again.

By the end of Nationals SP, which she had a bad fall in 2A. I really scared that she would be a short-time wonder like Kanako Murakami (None of disrespect to her).

But she bounced back really well in FS. She had a perfect performance. I cried along with her after she finished skating.

Mai eventually finished 5th. But I had many questions in my mind, like How will the assignments be if she never fall in SP and finished higher than Wakaba. Or What will happened if Japan got 3 spots at Worlds and Olympics.

But I can only think, everything has been already decided. Mai will only go to 4cc. She has to wait for a year to return to Worlds and four more years to go to the Olympics.

So sad she didn't have a chance in this year Olympics. She has been very good since last year.

I can only hope she will be at her best in 4cc. Skates clean, and go to podium.

Go Mai Mihara!

P.S. Will 4cc be the last competition for her this year, or she will compete in other B-Grade competitions?

P.S.2 I think she should keep her FS. This program is great. But I think she might consider changing her SP. With better SP, she is able to get to 210 or even 215.

thoakun

Final Flight
Nice to see that the thread is still active even when we won't see Mai until the end of January :biggrin:. I'm also hoping that she will compete in other B competitions since I don't want to end her season too soon.

Obviously, in figure skating, there will be many skaters who are good enough to become Olympians, but never make it. She will either become stronger on the journey to the elusive dream, or she'll perish away. I have high hope in the former. I've realized that she only began skating in 2007, at 10, which is quite late for Japanese skaters. Mao started at 4, Wakaba 3, Marin 2, Yuzuru 4. She has achieved some respectable accomplishments within that 10-year span. I believe there'll be more coming out of her ;).

Liasky

Rinkside
In figure skating, there will be many skaters who are good enough to become Olympians, but never make it. She will either become stronger on the journey to the elusive dream, or she'll perish away.

I like this sentence. That's really true. It's the circle of life.

I think there are many skaters, who have one or two career great years. But sadly, those are not olympic years. So they are capable for, but never have a chance to go there in real life.

I hope she will become stronger. 2021-22 Nationals is four years away. If she is strong enough, I think she can accomplish many things during that time. She might get the podium at Worlds one day, who knows. Or she might repeat the 4cc again. :) I know four years are long, but it's good for practicing and having more and more experience.

I think she continues fighting. Her tears after FS say that. I know she can improve her program to be better and better. 210/215 in GP or ISU Championship is not impossible for her.

But the only concern for me is, I'm not sure if her leg would be this strong in 2021-2022, which she will be 22 at that time. But who knows, starting later than others might be the advantage for her, to have longer professional career.

I still support you Mai-chan. Go Mai!

Spinning

On the Ice
Look on the bright side, she has a lot of room to grow. Unless her health issues become worsen or shifting to focus on education, she should be in for a long haul.

Arakawa won the gold at 24. She is the oldest to win the OG. Mai has the same airy and serenity in her skating. Be optimistic!

Liasky

Rinkside
Look on the bright side, she has a lot of room to grow. Unless her health issues become worsen or shifting to focus on education, she should be in for a long haul.

Arakawa won the gold at 24. She is the oldest to win the OG. Mai has the same airy and serenity in her skating. Be optimistic!

Her health is the only thing I worried. :sad4: But I still believe in her intention to her dream.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Nice to see that the thread is still active even when we won't see Mai until the end of January :biggrin:. I'm also hoping that she will compete in other B competitions since I don't want to end her season too soon.

Obviously, in figure skating, there will be many skaters who are good enough to become Olympians, but never make it. She will either become stronger on the journey to the elusive dream, or she'll perish away. I have high hope in the former. I've realized that she only began skating in 2007, at 10, which is quite late for Japanese skaters. Mao started at 4, Wakaba 3, Marin 2, Yuzuru 4. She has achieved some respectable accomplishments within that 10-year span. I believe there'll be more coming out of her ;).

yes, she started late but caught up to others in short amount of time (OT but another favourite of mine Riko Takino also started at age of 10 if i am not wrong and she is awesome too!)!! shows her true talent and strength, even with her condition she keeps improving, this is her 2nd year as senior and i believe she still has a lot to offer, when clean she can easily hit 74-75 TES with rather conservative GOE on some of her jumps, hopefully with increased PCS she is in a conversation for any podium

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm very disappointed that Mai (and Wakaba) didn't make the Olympic team - at this rate there will be very few of the skaters I really care about who will be there (across all disciplines that I watch). But I have faith that we will still be able to enjoy Mai's beautiful & joyful skating over the coming years, and that she will make it to major championships.

Let's not lose Hope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AcYxSyOPnA

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

That's quite late for any skater... :eeking: heck, I've started skating only two years later than that and it is impossible for me to imagine the progress required to reach this level at her age. How long did it take her to land her first triple?? This is so impressive.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Mai was born in 1999, so in 2007 she was 8, not 10.... Some basic math here :p Still, to be competetive skater of her calibre, that's impressive.

liv

Record Breaker
To skate that well after skating for only 10 years... pretty impressive. Knowing she does not have to train specifically for Worlds (therefore training specific elements), means that after 4CC she could have time to work on things people often do in the off season. Obviously you have to be prepared for any eventuality, but she isn't first alternate, so hopefully she can use the time to continue to work on improving her ss, create new spin variations, new steps and transitions... I look forward to seeing her get better and better every year.

Leonardo

Final Flight
To skate that well after skating for only 10 years... pretty impressive. Knowing she does not have to train specifically for Worlds (therefore training specific elements), means that after 4CC she could have time to work on things people often do in the off season. Obviously you have to be prepared for any eventuality, but she isn't first alternate, so hopefully she can use the time to continue to work on improving her ss, create new spin variations, new steps and transitions... I look forward to seeing her get better and better every year.

ITA
I hope she improves her programs (the way they fit her personality), her transitions and I especially hope she puts her jumps in the 2nd half simply because her technique is strong enough to do so.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
some of you may already know about ESP ITA commentator's podcast after every event, they mention and praise Mai for the one for IDF and they think she is (once again) underrated

(M): Regarding PCS, we have a question about Mihara Mai. They ask us if Mihara Mai wasn’t judged too harshly, considering Tursynbaeva’s scores.

They both skated two clean programs; we’ve come to expect that from Mihara, not for Tursynbaeva, who finally went over 200 points for the first time. It’s not easy to compare, but it is quite incomprehensible how Mihara was judged, because in my opinion, her FP is one of the best in terms of CO this season, and there are many TR. She probably doesn’t [connect with] the judges [in her performance], which is an explanation that disturbs me, because I hate this kind of thinking, but it’s the only one I have.

(A): Yes, it happens, and it has already happened in the past: we saw skaters who struggled to get in the judges’ favour and their scores puzzled the fans. Which is probably what is happening to Mihara Mai. But I agree that isn’t easy to understand why her scores are so low, considering what she does on the ice – if compared to the others, but also in general. We should consider that every skater should be analyzed on their own, which is impossible, but it’s what this new system was meant to do. But even if we consider that, I think she’s quite underrated, she isn’t the first and won’t be the last but…

(M): And it frequently happens with the Japanese ladies. Miyahara for example; she struggled a lot to get higher PCS. The only explanation we ever came up with was that the judges didn’t give her high scores because they saw her as someone who didn’t fill the rink. Her PCS improved with time, she improved as a skater as well – then she started to do that 2+7 in the FP and she got higher PCS.

i dont think Satoko did 2+5(assuming thats what they meant not 2+7 :biggrin:) layout but thats off topic when it comes to Mai

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Mai! Congratulations on skating a clean SP. I love the new look with the bangs and the lipstick. Makes her look very mature. :agree:

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I am so glad that she skated that SP clean. :sad4:I'd give her 33 pcs but ....
good Luck in free :yahoo:

sakurano

Final Flight
she finally nail this SP, the fringe suits him well she has a mature look, I hope she will stay on the podium, I think it closes his season in style.
: hap93:

Kyy

Spectator
Hi! I’ve been reading this thread for a while but I’ve never actually commented before. I’m here to congratulate Mai for her SILVER medal!!! Her FS is absolutely breathtaking!