matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Thanks so much! I was terribly disappointed that Mai didn't make the podium, but she can be proud of her performances. If she keeps being this steady, her scores will build. Go Mai!

Yeah, I was dissapointed too. I agree she should be proud of herself and I think she's got everything to make Olympic team. Mai's strength is that she doesn't let mistakes affect her. Great mentality! Plus I just like the way she skates :)

grassy

Rinkside
So proud of Mai for how she dealt with her SP result and putting in a near-flawless FS :love:

CBC commentary of Mai's FS at CoC.

Interesting to see the StSq from another angle. While the program is growing on me, I think she skated it better at JO and still wish there was more of a climax moment. Good to see her adding more difficulty and transitions, though! (One thing I did notice was that the 3F didn't receive a second-half bonus here. I hope her coaching team will look into making sure it does make it into the second half because with that bonus she might have taken the bronze.)

randomfan

Record Breaker
So proud of Mai for how she dealt with her SP result and putting in a near-flawless FS :love:

CBC commentary of Mai's FS at CoC.

Interesting to see the StSq from another angle. While the program is growing on me, I think she skated it better at JO and still wish there was more of a climax moment. Good to see her adding more difficulty and transitions, though! (One thing I did notice was that the 3F didn't receive a second-half bonus here. I hope her coaching team will look into making sure it does make it into the second half because with that bonus she might have taken the bronze.)

True. I remember that at JO the 3F just barely got the second half bonus. The Japanese broadcasts always have a time indication that tells people when the bonus starts. So it showed that Mai took off for the 3F at about 1:59 and landed it exactly on 2:00.

liv

Record Breaker
I hope they address all the issues, like that 3F timing... little things that lost her points. In the long, I think she could add a transition or two in a few places... ie. between her first two spins...after her flying ss... she's added transitions before most of her jumps and in many places where it seemed a bit empty, but adding a few more would certainly up those transition marks. While I love the general choreography, in this day and age they want more moves even when the music doesn't call for them, so to get marks they have to play the game. She and the team have been smart so far to add details after JO, but now they have to add even more... and she's more than capable of delivering, as we've seen.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I hope they address all the issues, like that 3F timing... little things that lost her points. In the long, I think she could add a transition or two in a few places... ie. between her first two spins...after her flying ss... she's added transitions before most of her jumps and in many places where it seemed a bit empty, but adding a few more would certainly up those transition marks. While I love the general choreography, in this day and age they want more moves even when the music doesn't call for them, so to get marks they have to play the game. She and the team have been smart so far to add details after JO, but now they have to add even more... and she's more than capable of delivering, as we've seen.

I am sure Mai will get there. She has a strong competitive mentality. PCS scoring unfortunately don't seem to be very confidence inspiring these days. Yes, adding more movement in between rewards TR but what we end up with is quantity transitions but not matching with the music. That really should lead to a drop in CO and also to IN although higher TR. unfortunately, that has never been seen to be applied.

QMATTERS

Rinkside
I absolutely love Mai Mihara’s short and long programs this season. The music is refreshingly different and flows beautifully for her. Her choreography is terrific. As for that music for the long program, I had to look it up on YouTube to find a longer version of because it is the most beautiful modern classic piece done for a movie since Chariots of Fire and Schindler’s List I’ve heard and embraced. Her coach made a fantastic choice for her! Hence, count me in as a new fan of this young lady!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I absolutely love Mai Mihara’s short and long programs this season. The music is refreshingly different and flows beautifully for her. Her choreography is terrific. As for that music for the long program, I had to look it up on YouTube to find a longer version of because it is the most beautiful modern classic piece done for a movie since Chariots of Fire and Schindler’s List I’ve heard and embraced. Her coach made a fantastic choice for her! Hence, count me in as a new fan of this young lady!

I watched the movie that her long music is from and it's a good movie. I love her cuts, though, otherwise I wouldn't have thought to use that movie for a soundtrack...

yuna

On the Ice
Mai underscored in PCS again :( I really want her to go to the Olympics but if Satoko does well next week and in JN, JSF will probably give the 2nd spot to her :( I'm just glad Mai skated well. It shows that she is consistent.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Mai is fabuluous, but apparently, only us fans, think so. JSF should do something. She's current 4CC champion for heavens sake!

liv

Record Breaker
I"m also very proud of her wonderful performance in the long program... I really wish she can put 2 clean programs together at Nationals and show why she belongs at the Olympics.

That being said, after re-watching her program, I noticed a few spots where she dropped her presentation level compared to the other competitions. I think it may have been because of the issue on her intended 2A combination and subsequently having to rethink where she would add the missed 3toe and then 2/2... and, the judges are still not buying what she's putting out there...Kurt Browning loves her skating and jumps, but also said there are a few moments when it seemed like she didn't quite know what to do out there and I have to agree. I love her skating and presentation so much, and I want her to be the best that she can be. I think she should pay another visit to David Wilson to see if they can't work on it a bit more to fill in some gaps. I think this program is beautiful now, but it can be better than it is, and since she can do it well already, it wouldn't hurt to add a bit more to it. It's now or never.

Ender

Match Penalty
She did well and she didn’t get what she deserved. She should have had 2 bronzes. But well she shouldn’t give up. She might do well at Nationals and get it finally.

nekun

On the Ice
Make it to Olympic team or not won't make me love her any less. I just want Mai to be happy, she love skating so much...I just want her to enjoy everymoment when she skate.

I know she hate to lose, and I know she'll bounce back from this. Placement aside, if we comparing to her scores from last season Mai did good job so far.

I hope she'll peak at Nats

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
she did great once again, esp at LP but i agree that she wasnt that into her programs, she was better at COC in this aspect, but we know she loves being on the ice so i am hoping that she is not down about scores or placements but excited for whats to come, she has quite a bit of time till Nationals so she will go back and work on whatever is keeping her away from getting higher PCS, i agree with user that hopefully she can have the opportunity to work with David before Nationals

btw, her CaOI video is uploaded today, with Tatsuki as commentator!! curious about what he thinks about her :hap85:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnDzVEIlur0